jubei

comics/graphic novels you've been reading

I started Transmetropolitan. Everything is really good, the writing honestly matchless. But the really abruptly rapt moments for me were in the art. I don't know what struck me most: The cat (uuuuuugh), the bearded lady, or the first panel showing the Revivals.

lul, third post in a row. Just a heads up that Vertigo is now starting letter columns for each title.

Baeyer-Drewson, have you read Yoshihiro Tatsumi? Really haunting with some chilling war-era stuff. Banality gone horrific and miserable.

http://www.amazon.com/Good-Bye-Yoshihiro-Tatsumi/dp/1897299370

Thanks for the heads-up, jyoni! I have read The Pusher Man and Other Stories and it was pretty amazing. So much emotion in those panels, something I rarely get from manga/comics.

I have just added Abandon the Old in Tokyo and Good-Bye to my bookdep wishlist. Thanks!

I suspected you might be dipping into it already, haha. It's good shit. People like Nakazawa may be seminal but yeah...this stuff is on its own tier.

**Christ, I just wiki'd that guy to check in on the Barefoot Gen sequel. He has retired because of diabetes and cataracts. There will be no continuation :(

i fucking love the boys, my friend who is really into comics put me on it. all garth ennis is really good, apparently. want to check out preacher and his original run of punisher after.

DDML, how is that? I was looking at picking that up and was curious as to whether or not it was worth it.

I've never read any comics, but I would like to pick up one. Any good recommendations? I know there must be a lot of choice, but something that would make me love comics I guess!

Thanks

DDML, how is that? I was looking at picking that up and was curious as to whether or not it was worth it.

i am three pages in, ha!

i've read everything D&Q has reissued in Tezuka's back catalog

so i guess i am a bit of a fanboy

i picked it up at the library

probably your best bet, if you are worried about committing the scratch

MarvelmanMiracleman1_0709.jpg

just finished the first series of MM, fookin great!

Starting this up next

flex_mentallo1of4_-_00.jpg

i stopped reading all the books i was into a while back, really hard for me now to keep up; I managed to finish Crossed: Family Affair and i have to say - not too pleased with the ending.

MF Grimm autobiography in comic form. Cool story with lotsa good characters if you like your hip-hop. A few obscure MF Doom refs...

img0202qe.jpg

img0201e.jpg

sandman.

house of mystery.

fables.

am quite a vertigo fan..

My pull list is down to almost nothing.

The Boys

Elephantmen

Jonah Hex

King City

Scalped

Thunderbolts

eof, I have all the House of Mystery variants if you are interested. VF-ish but the Neal Adams one is a really high nm.

How is Scalped?

It's superb. It did lag a bit for me at one point, around the time Jason Aaron was getting hit with a ton of Marvel stuff. But it's his baby. He isn't going to lose control of it, and it's always been quite good at worst.

It's evolved nicely beyond its original premise. He'll digress now and then with tales of elderly couples, gays, kids, more of a fuller picture.

^^I remember when I barely found out about TWD a year ago, and my friend had the entire series up to that point. The comfort and easy in which I went from one issue to another is something I miss so goddamn much.

Recently picked up Nemesis. The artwork is just my type, and the story is pretty original, but I'm not sold on the dialogue. Also just started Lone Wolf & Cub, quite interesting.

I've also got the entire Neil Gaiman works just sitting on my computer, should get around to it...