comics/graphic novels you've been reading

jubei

really enjoyed Y the Last man it is on its final run of issues now. If our not into superheroes then Vertigo comics is definitley the place some good titles like Scalped, DMZ, Deadman etc. A recent miniseries The Other Side was worth checking out fantastic artwork.

Speaking of artwork anything by Bill Sienkiewicz is great he uses paint watercolour bits of wallpaper whatever

Elektra:Assassin

image29.jpg

and of course Alan Moore my favorite has to be swamp thing totally reinvented a pretty boring charcter and created a series of stories about social and polital subjects in the context of a horror comic John Totlben is an amazing artist too

03-13-200702.jpg

Agree-eeeeeed

Whoa! so much to catch up on, I thought this thread was deaded more or less. OK here we go:

Earth X rawks. Paradise X sucks.

Ultimate Fan 4 is great. They should have made the movie based on that.

Ultimate Iron Man and Galactus are interesting too.

Both Ultimate X-men and Spiderman are getting tired. Is it a coincidence both are written by Bendis?

Paradise X has the WORST endings (each volume, that is) because the writers definitely bit off waaay more than they could chew philosophically IMO. Seeing those weird new-angel Avengers was sick though! made reading Volumes I & II worth it so far! Yes, the Earth X series was sick.

Agree with almost everything you have to say about the various Ultimates serials, I think X-Men is rrrreaally gonna go places soon (they have to whip out the big A, if you know who i'm referring to, sooner or later), while I've never even bothered reading the Spider Man series (and not for lack of trying), because it just sucks so hard. Also, ULTIMATE GALACTUS MOVIE ASAP I KNOW. I've been telling my roomate that since September now! I carried that big hardcover around everywhere, read it like 50 times this summer.

I was super into comics when I was a kid, then the onslaught saga happened and everyone died.

shit was weak.

Crillz, do you buy each issue or hit up scans?

I go to Forbidden Planet once or twice a month and just run down the list to the SA and they tell me if there's any new volumes in stock. fuck a single issue. 3 dollars for a comic i can read in 30 SECONDS?? (i timed myself once thru a single issue of the Ultimates) No thanks. I buy the volumes which are usually like $14.00 and compiles a month, 3 month, or even year-long collection of single issues.

hm...I quit a couple years after the Ultimate series started.

you should give them a try :P

Dark_knight_returns-777628.jpg

i know it's canonic old newz, but this IS my favorite single comic of all time (in tandem with its sequel) and i've been planning on getting a specific panel from DKSA tattooed for a while, but it has yet to come to fruition

I have the back issues 2, 3 and 4. Looking for a first press 1...

Just finished reading Black Hole. Fucking sweet! Definitely read the back issues of this if you can, the covers and end-papers are incredible and add a whole atmosphere to the book. Not at all what I was expecting, but super engrossing and engaging. Loved it.

About to re-read Akira after I get through Wind-Up Bird Chronicles. Akira is probably my favorite comic. Definetly got me started on collecting comics for myself and not just reading what people give me. That was the first series where I just HAD to know what happens next.

depends on what you've got, kid. pm me the inventory

i'll have them up by sunday. i'm gonna need to get some blue book info on the rarer ones, and i'll post all the titles, but people are gonna have to pm me about what issues i have to offer. i do plan on keeping some for sentimental value though.

anyone have anything by fletcher hanks?

i have been flirting with I SHALL DESTROY ALL CIVILIZED WORLDS

this sounds mental got this from amazon makes me want to buy it

"In a typical story, Master-Mind De Structo tries to suffocate America's heads of state with an oxygen-destroying ray, so Stardust turns him into a giant head, then hurls him into a space pocket of living death occupied by a headless headhunter"

just dragged out all the comics from the basement

they are in decent condition, nothing to write home about.

i will start taking an inventory tonight, but i doubt ill finish, or it will hold my attention. so i estimate sunday i will have all the comics sorted/accounted for.

i got a lottttttttttttttttttttttttttta avengers comics.

I dunno, I'm kind of divided on Frank Miller's Batman. Although Year One was fantastic, his "All-Star" series portrayed the superhero as an abusive, sadistic, and murderous sociopath. In the Dark Knight Returns, the mature Bruce Wayne seemed more like a dementia patient than a notorious vigilante. I wonder how twisted Batman's gonna be in Frank's next work, Holy Terror Batman.

When it comes to the cape n' cowl, my favorite series are:

225px-Batman_thelonghalloween.jpg

dvtpb.jpg

Since I've got a mega crush on DCU, I'll plug this Alex Ross piece:

52ep2s9.jpg

I've got a shload of comics back at home (in the thousands), so if anyone's looking for a particular ish, let me know. I'm trying to unload some of my rare stuff. Need to fund clothes.

Sinestro Corps War is some crazy shit

JSA is a great consistent read

Iron Fist is another solid read

Want to pick up the Captain America Omnibus... Brubaker and Epting are supposed to be doing an amazing job with this book (it's apparently got more of a spy feel to it, which is awesome)

Never got my hands to reading JSA. Know nuts about Iron Fists new series but I liked Daughters of the Dragon aka Misty Knight and Colleen whats her name which reads like a TV pilot.

Brubaker's Capt is nice. Red Skull's daughter, return of Bucky as this kick ass asssassin who was used by the Russians during the Cold War and a very Nick Fury 70s kind of spy story with flying cars. Whats not to like? Man that writes itself.

His run on Daredevil with Murdock tossed in jail with his good buddies, Bullseye and Kingpin amidst a full scale riot is some cool shit.

Whoa! so much to catch up on, I thought this thread was deaded more or less. OK here we go:

Paradise X has the WORST endings (each volume, that is) because the writers definitely bit off waaay more than they could chew philosophically IMO. Seeing those weird new-angel Avengers was sick though! made reading Volumes I & II worth it so far! Yes, the Earth X series was sick.

Agree with almost everything you have to say about the various Ultimates serials, I think X-Men is rrrreaally gonna go places soon (they have to whip out the big A, if you know who i'm referring to, sooner or later), while I've never even bothered reading the Spider Man series (and not for lack of trying), because it just sucks so hard. Also, ULTIMATE GALACTUS MOVIE ASAP I KNOW. I've been telling my roomate that since September now! I carried that big hardcover around everywhere, read it like 50 times this summer.

you should give them a try :P

Big A? You mean Ultimate Apocalypse? Wasnt that the giant blowup doll Sinister keeps in his house and worships?

I actually liked UltimateI Iron Man which was penned by some sci fi author. Damn good stuff about this kid who have such fragile skin that he will die if he doesnt immerse himself in this blue liquid. Of course he turns out to be billionaire Stark who then have brain cancer. Too many stuff choke into 1 comic. I think Quesada forgot that some author actually created the secret origin of Ultimate Iron Man years ago before they comissioned Ultimate Iron Man's own series.

I dunno, I'm kind of divided on Frank Miller's Batman. Although Year One was fantastic, his "All-Star" series portrayed the superhero as an abusive, sadistic, and murderous sociopath. In the Dark Knight Returns, the mature Bruce Wayne seemed more like a dementia patient than a notorious vigilante. I wonder how twisted Batman's gonna be in Frank's next work, Holy Terror Batman.

I don't know why Frank Miller even writes Batman anymore as he clearly hates the character by now and really doesn't give a shit what the reader thinks. Reading Frank Miller the last couple of years has been like watching De Niro pick movie roles.

All Star Superman is fucking fantastic though, as is Grant Morrisons run on Batman.

Matt Fraction and Brubaker's Iron Fist is is so consistently good. You guys should be checking out Casanova if you haven't. Also written by Fraction.

I don't know why Frank Miller even writes Batman anymore as he clearly hates the character by now and really doesn't give a shit what the reader thinks. Reading Frank Miller the last couple of years has been like watching De Niro pick movie roles.

All Star Superman is fucking fantastic though, as is Grant Morrisons run on Batman.

Matt Fraction and Brubaker's Iron Fist is is so consistently good. You guys should be checking out Casanova if you haven't. Also written by Fraction.

Dark Knight Strikes Again is so bad on so many levels.

That'd be Orson Scott Card (of Ender's Game fame), really liked that one, too bad it only seemed to last one volume... nah man Apocalypse is gonna show up sooner or later, they're dealing with Cable now... soon... sooooon!

Big A? You mean Ultimate Apocalypse? Wasnt that the giant blowup doll Sinister keeps in his house and worships?

I actually liked UltimateI Iron Man which was penned by some sci fi author. Damn good stuff about this kid who have such fragile skin that he will die if he doesnt immerse himself in this blue liquid. Of course he turns out to be billionaire Stark who then have brain cancer. Too many stuff choke into 1 comic. I think Quesada forgot that some author actually created the secret origin of Ultimate Iron Man years ago before they comissioned Ultimate Iron Man's own series.

I had AllStarSupes on my picks list before my local venue's owner went MIA. I haven't had weekly grabs in a long time. Any titles you recommend?

if anyone is interested, i've got the first batch of comics inventoried, so if you wanna take a look, please feel free to PM me tonight. this only represents a fraction of what i have, so don't freak. its an excel spreadsheet, no prices cause i haven't gotten to that stage yet, but if you wanna check it out, just drop me a line.

:cool:

• 1 month later...

I remember really getting into comics around 1992, a little before Image first came on the scene and Valiant was huge. Thinking back, I didn't appreciate the writing as much as the art. For instance, I loved the artwork of Jim Lee during his run of of X-Men/ Wild C.A.T.S., as did everyone else in my Junior High Class. Revisiting the comics of that age, the storylines and writing was pretty wack in my opinion.

Flash forward and I'm back into comics. When people find out that I read comics, they immediately throw the nerd card at me and assume comics are still the"funny pages" that are meant strictly for children and pre-pubescent fanboys (which isn't entirely false). What most of the lay-population doesn't realize is that within the last couple of years comics have really matured to a level where they don't have to rely on scatily-clad heroines and chromium/holographic covers to sell. Great writers are producing fantastic and engaging storylines that deal with so much more that the run-of-the-mill "superhero fights supervillan and saves the city" plots.

That being said here are a couple comics/graphic novels I high recommend. The list is mostly mainstream comics...I'm not going to front, I like independent stuff as well, but I'm always a fan of superheroes :D

100 Bullets by Brian Azzarello

Fables by Bill Willingham

Y the Last Man by Brian K. Vaughn

Daredevil - story arcs by Brian Michael Bendis and Ed Brubaker

Astonishing X-Men by Joss Whedon

The Ultimates by Mark Millar

Runaways by Brian K. Vaughn

The Dark Knight Returns by Frank Miller

Batman: The Long Halloween by Jeph Loeb

All Star Superman by Grant Morrison

We3 by Grant Morrison

Iron Fist (current story arc) by Ed Brubaker

Preacher by Garth Ennis

Punisher Max by Garth Ennis

Sandman by Neil Gaiman

New Frontier by Darwyn Cooke

Scott Pilgrim by Brian Lee O'Mally

All I can think of at the moment...any SuFu comic book geeks in hurrrr???? Anyone have any good titles to recommend? I'm always up for a good read!

I always loved Frank Miller's Sin City. While the movie was okay I think the comics are incredible.

Miller's writing in Daredevil in the early 80's is still my favorite comics story of all time... too bad the movie had to go and fuck it all up...