comics/graphic novels you've been reading

jubei

Having read The Invisibles, some of his JLA and a few other of Grant's books I picked up that X-Men omnibus - fuckin weighed a ton... this was my first trip back in to the X-Men since the mid 90's where I quit 'em cuz they got too superficial and monotonous... and well I gots to say that this run wasn't so great. Big ideas that weren't realized well - the ideas were interesting, the death of Magneto and over-arching rebirth of Magneto plot and so forth, but I think his editing was the main let down. I never got into it. Before one train of thought was ever settled another one was exploding away... It was frustrating and it's going to keep me away from them spandex mutants for another 10yrs.

Supreme Power on the other hand was far more engaging. Def' one of the better spandex series in a while.

78- Don't give up on the X-dudes just yet!

Astonishing X-Men redeems all of the shitty stuff that has happened in X-Men in the past 10 years! There are 3 trades out right now and I promise you'll gobble them up so fast that you won't know what hit you...

At first I was skeptical of Astonishing because I'm not really into Joss Whedon stuff (Buffy, Firefly, etc.) but he writes the X-Men really well. It's a slimmed down roster (strictly focuses on the core 6 members) and it's sort of in its own continuity so you don't have to worry about reading the other books for context... plus, it picks up right after Morrison's run, so you'd be picking up right where you left off.

78- Don't give up on the X-dudes just yet!

Astonishing X-Men redeems all of the shitty stuff that has happened in X-Men in the past 10 years! There are 3 trades out right now and I promise you'll gobble them up so fast that you won't know what hit you...

Gotta second this recommendation. The plot and writing is pretty fresh even though Whedon throws in tons of material to please old school fans. Sadly Whedon's run is ending to be replaced by Warren Ellis, whom I like a lot but I can't really see him being able to write classic X-Men characters.

Well, I liked Morrison on X Men, I loved his fresh take on everyone, especially Jean. Of course, I'm looking hazily on all this, so there may have been a few things I would object to. Was that where he went with weapon X, XI, and XII? Also, he and Quitely are a pretty good team. I like their work on Superman, as well.

Was that where he went with weapon X, XI, and XII?

Yes, that was that run... when he explained that Weapon X = Weapon 10 (and that Steve Rogers = Weapon 1!), I shat my fanboy pants... that's one of those great ideas that flips everything on its side. Too bad Wolverine's history is so fucked up that nothing ever holds up very long when they try to do a history of him. I think at this point, he's some sort of soldier-ninja-samurai-victorian American-spy... from Canada? and he's a mutant too?

wow. extremely interested in the morrison/xmen run. funny that he had a run on doom patrol AND xmen, in that order, as x-men is a really a doom patrol clone.

explain yourself sir... X-Men came out in the 60's, yeah? and didn't doom patrol come out in the 70's?

oh shit, you totally schooled me (plus I could've wikipedia'd that...)

it's always interesting to see which franchises survived the early days of comics. Sometimes it seems like a total crapshoot and sometimes, I feel like it's all about the willingness of creators to change and update those characters...

Sadly Whedon's run is ending to be replaced by Warren Ellis, whom I like a lot but I can't really see him being able to write classic X-Men characters.

ARE YOU NUTS???

Have you read Ellis? The guy's the main reason I still read comics once a year. His shit is soooooo well written - he has REAL concepts that matter today and takes this whole superhero concept and flips it on itself to create what I find a version/take on where The Weathermen left back in the 80s with Moore. His runs on Stormwatch/Authority & Planetary are phenomenal. His Global Frequency was awesome. And his b&w work for Avatar is suhhhweeeeeeeeet. And even tho I dig Transmet it did get a bit too self indulgent.

FUCK. Looks like Marvel's gonna get some more of my $.... bastards!

ARE YOU NUTS???

Have you read Ellis? The guy's the main reason I still read comics once a year. His shit is soooooo well written - he has REAL concepts that matter today and takes this whole superhero concept and flips it on itself to create what I find a version/take on where The Weathermen left back in the 80s with Moore. His runs on Stormwatch/Authority & Planetary are phenomenal. His Global Frequency was awesome. And his b&w work for Avatar is suhhhweeeeeeeeet. And even tho I dig Transmet it did get a bit too self indulgent.

Yea about half of his stuff is amazing, but the other half just sounds like him writing the same character over and over again. Down, Tokyo Storm Warning, most of his avatar line, Ultimate Galactus, JLA: New Maps of Hell, it was just all great concept framed by "cheeky bastard" Warren Ellis dialogue. Literally every single one of his characters talked the exact same way, which will just not fly with the way Whedon has set up the astonshing X-Men team. Ellis is really weak when writing pre-existing characters, plus he has admitted to hating just about all the mainstream superhero titles.

He's probably one of my top 5 favorite comics writers, but if his work on Astonishing is going to be in the same vein as all his other work on classic marvel/dc characters, I think that's a pretty big waste.

ARE YOU NUTS???

Has anyone else read Ellis's novel (Crooked Little Vein)? I bought it and read it in a couple of days. If you like his comic work, you're bound to enjoy the novel. It's very much in his style. I do have to agree with sushijerk, though. Most of the characters he writes tend to speak in the same voice. In fact, that's just how he is. I don't know if anyone else used to frequent his forum on Delphi (yeah yeah, big geek here. I webmastered his website and helped moderate the forums for a while, even...) but that's what his posts there were like too.

In any case, Ellis, Garth Ennis and Brian Wood are pretty much the only comic writers whose stuff I'll pick up without a second thought.

In any case, Ellis, Garth Ennis and Brian Wood are pretty much the only comic writers whose stuff I'll pick up without a second thought.

I was thinking about what writers I pick up without a second thought... and I don't think I really have any. Gaiman, Moore I trust enough to at least check out but even the greats strike out sometimes. I like reading reviews or getting recommendations from people before picking stuff up (though I'm usually more willing to take a risk on indie books for some reason)

Invincible is my fave capes book at the moment... I devour those trades in 20 minutes whenever they come out (can't read it in single issues, it's too much of a tease)

I'm also enjoying Scott Pilgrim immensely

. I don't know if anyone else used to frequent his forum on Delphi (yeah yeah, big geek here. I webmastered his website and helped moderate the forums for a while, even...) but that's what his posts there were like too.

Yeah he does tend to be a bit of a egomaniac but atleast he's aware of it. ha. And yeah I would read his forum and even was active on his first website way back when.. but the traffic just got stupid and I left comics for a decade or so...

I gots to say that Bendis' work with DD n' Powers was great.

• 3 months later...

So we have a "comics you've been reading" thread... but not just a general forum of discussion. Where my comic nerdz at? Contribute your all-time favorites, new stuff you want to gush over/hate on, etc. etc... This is what I've generally been jamming on lately:

ParadiseXVol1TPBNewPrinting.jpg

@2.jpg

Ultimate FF has got to be one of my favorite series of all time (in very close contest with The Ultimates, not sure yet :confused:)! Definitely my favorite serial right now (er, or The Ultimates)...

UltPwr7.jpg

FUCK YEAH ULTIMATES!

also, just wanted to be the first to mention this :o

Dark_knight_returns-777628.jpg

i know it's canonic old newz, but this IS my favorite single comic of all time (in tandem with its sequel) and i've been planning on getting a specific panel from DKSA tattooed for a while, but it has yet to come to fruition

i'm not big on DC. i'm a marvel guy. i haven't read comics in a while, but i do have 3 3'x1'x1" boxes full of comics. if i made an inventory, would anyone be interested. there are a lot of good comics in there, mixed in with the obvious old/useless/worthless one. i may do bulk purchases on them at sufu before i move them to ebay or another site. when i make inventory, feel free to shotgun some good ones and i'll give you a price.

i did read Hellboy the other day. still good.

So we have a "comics you've been reading" thread... but not just a general forum of discussion. Where my comic nerdz at? Contribute your all-time favorites, new stuff you want to gush over/hate on, etc. etc... This is what I've generally been jamming on lately:

Ultimate FF has got to be one of my favorite series of all time (in very close contest with The Ultimates, not sure yet :confused:)! Definitely my favorite serial right now (er, or The Ultimates)...

FUCK YEAH ULTIMATES!

also, just wanted to be the first to mention this :o

i know it's canonic old newz, but this IS my favorite single comic of all time (in tandem with its sequel) and i've been planning on getting a specific panel from DKSA tattooed for a while, but it has yet to come to fruition

Earth X rawks. Paradise X sucks.

Ultimate Fan 4 is great. They should have made the movie based on that.

Ultimate Iron Man and Galactus are interesting too.

Both Ultimate X-men and Spiderman are getting tired. Is it a coincidence both are written by Bendis?

I figured you dudes would be into more obscure shit for some reason, hahaha.

My only regular reads nowadays are Walking Dead, Invincible, and anything having to do with 30 Days of Night. Actually, I'll read anything Kirkman is involved with. Astounding Wolfman is cool too.

I also enjoy just about every mini that Image puts out, and am still pissed that I haven't gotten to read a new Pirates of Coney island since issue 5 or something.

If yall dig Alan Moore I recommend Black Dossier, the new League of Extraordinary Gentlemen jam.

Of course I then have the obligatory old-as-hell comics that I bought and read when I was a little kid, but I'm sure no one cares to hear about old Spiderman, Batman, Green Lantern, etc.

Sinestro Corps War is some crazy shit

JSA is a great consistent read

Iron Fist is another solid read

Scott Pilgrim is required reading for anyone of the '00 generation... totally hilarious and awesome

Watchmen and Dark Knight are always my go-tos for mind bendingly awesome GNs

Ult X-men is like junk food in comic book form... it doesn't actually nourish me, but I continue to read it in trades

Want to pick up the Captain America Omnibus... Brubaker and Epting are supposed to be doing an amazing job with this book (it's apparently got more of a spy feel to it, which is awesome)

shiiiiit I was a Marvel guy except for Batman...especially if Frank Miller was behind the project.

In saying that, most of the Frank Miller stuff holds a place in my heart...expecially:

n31360.jpg

(easily the best Wolverine stuff out there)

6a00d4142ffa1f3c7f00cd972e87644cd5-500pi

1401206905.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

And of course:

388px-Sincitym.jpg

And yes, again (cause it's worth a second mention):

THE DARK KNIGHT RETURNS

172331-batman_400.gif

I haven't read, but am very interested in:

frankmillerronin.jpg

Also what I've read of The Sandman and The Preacher GN's was a fun time.

Not originally a graphic novel, but another favorite comic book series (later released in GN form):

Spiderman1cover.jpg

I loved the dark/grim, violent (aka Spawn'ish) atmosphere given to the Spiderman story by McFarlane. I'm pissed that I was young and thought the color cover looked the best (I passed on the Gold, Silver, and the rest).

Ohhhh yeah and of ccourse this Saga:

spidey.jpg

(first I got the GN with the whole first appearance of the alien costume situation...then I got each original issue at a Jacob Javitz comic convention decades ago)

Speaking of Spiderman...Amazing Spiderman was my shit when it was in the late 200-300's I think...with McFarlane, then Erik Larsen and I think Jim Lee doing alot of the art and stories (i.e. Paladin/Silver Sable, Scorpion, Venom, Return of the Sinister Six, etc.)

WolverineSaga3.jpg

Another classic Wolverine

Also, the first Punisher War Story was ill to me...as was the Punisher Armory joints.

Can't forget this:

1-1.jpg

Big Marvel head.

I've been trying to find a good comic book series to get into since I was a lad. But with my luck, by the time that I find one, the series is already six issues into the run or almost over. I guess that I'm gonna have to start buying the graphic novels just to catch up. Also anyone like Y: The last man? I'm thinking about starting to get the graphic novels of this series.

really enjoyed Y the Last man it is on its final run of issues now. If your not into superheroes then Vertigo comics is definitley the place some good titles like Scalped, DMZ, Deadman etc. A recent miniseries The Other Side was worth checking out fantastic artwork.

Speaking of artwork anything by Bill Sienkiewicz is great he uses paint watercolour bits of wallpaper whatever

Elektra:Assassin

image29.jpg

and of course Alan Moore my favorite has to be swamp thing totally reinvented a pretty boring charcter and created a series of stories about social and polital subjects in the context of a horror comic John Totlben is an amazing artist too

03-13-200702.jpg