comics/graphic novels you've been reading

jubei

• 4 weeks later...

Does anybody have silver size boards that actually fit silver size bags in their area? If so, what is the brand your stores carry?

Ultra-Pro and BCW are the main brands around here. The silver boards are too damn small for the bags.

• 3 weeks later...

She's a little robust for a Mary Jane but I like that someone did this :biggrin:

These early 600's by Campbell have already become damn-near iconic. I didn't know 4chan clowned on the pose so hard when 601 came out. Some of it was hilarious.

asm601_zps842d4678.jpg

Edited by jyoni

Yeah Leeacto, Sweet Tooth ended nicely. The whole future/flashback format was great. That comic was fucking beautiful -- as far as I can recall it's the only graphic story that has choked me up, a few times too. Both when Jepperd unzipped his wife's bones, and the winding down pages at the end were especially powerful stuff.

oops, meant to rep you Leeacto, not myself.

Edited by jyoni

• 2 months later...

Quickly bumping this with Will Kirkby's stuff, which I haven't read yet as I've been waiting for quite a while now to receive a comic from him but his art is insane imho, believe the stuff below are illustrations for an RPG guide, the comic I'm waiting for is Tuk Tuk.

tumblr_mlinntsBrH1rpp6mvo1_500.jpg

Some echo's of Stokoe in there.

As Half Century War is done and MW on a break I am really only looking forward to my monthly Prophet fix.

Vol. 2 is out on June 12th for those of you who buy trades.

Looking forward to the 2nd trade of Glory (Joe Keatinge and Ross Campbell) which I didn't think would appeal to me but gave the benefit of the doubt as I just like Campbell's style so much but I thought it was really good.

Just got the first Sharknife, haven't read it but is supposed to be a fun ride.

Am curious about Ashley Wood and TP Louise's Lore, anyone read it?

Also, anyone any thoughts on Joe the Barbarian and Warren Ellis his Global Frequency?

Been meaning to get I Kill Giants as it just looks fun.

Also want to get Adventure Time trades as I enjoy the cartoon too much.

Some other stuff I've found but haven't had the chance to pick up yet:

- Brian Ralph's Daybreak

- Bambi and her pink gun

- Ivan Brun's War Songs

- Jim Henson's Tale of Sand

- Hilda and the Midnight Giant

- Tom Gauld's You're all just jealous of my jetpack

Currently reading the collected Incal.

Also working on two exciting projects, more about them later.

Edited by Cotton Duck

Incal is so incredibly good.  Croot.

Yeah, I'm seeing alot of Matsumoto in those drawings too.  Not the movie.  It's more heavily shaded but it's in the line work for sure!

Oh, my Incal reading is limited.  Does it stay good after the sewer urchin tales?

You're on to some real good shit with Glory and I Kill Giants.  For the first, well yes that's how a super heroine would have to look, right?  Joe Kelly also did some excellent Spider-Man around issues 600-610-ish.  Those issues are kind of hot right now because of the Campbell covers but worth finding because it's great.  Oddly, it was timed with some really good kids' stuff by Tobin, when everyone was starting to figure out who the web slinger really was -- subject matter which could never be explored in the flagship comics.   Speaking of Campbell covers, the early Warlord of Mars covers are worth having even though the book panned out to pure crap (imo).  Campbell has alot of sameness to his work...those covers were a stretch for him.

Edited by jyoni

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Never read 100 Bullets.  It's on a read list in my head but I should start it.  Too much unread stuff.  I think I have to try to try Preacher again later, one of these days.  Just couldn't get into it right now.

Cotton, if there is art available, I have been pining for some things from King City.  I can shoot you page numbers from the U.S. magazine- sizd run from Image.  In terms of composition, they are the splash page with Anna in the tub, and the black-backed sequence of Joe pissing into his reflection in the toilet.  If you spot them, lmk or just cop and I'll cover you for the courtesy.

A recent pickup -- A friend had a partnership go bad and he bought out his erstwhile partner's inventory and fire-sold it.  I got almost 200 issues of 70s-80s Marvel Conan for a song.  Now that's some good ass reading. 

• 4 months later...

So has anyone read any good graphic novels lately? I haven't read one since Charles Burns black hole. And there was one called wizzywig by ed piskor about a year ago, shit was about a hacker. That was really good actually.

Too busy to read many comics.  Lil Gotham is nice, esp the watercolors.  It's been a long time since I hit the kids' section.  The only good team from Planet of the Apes got hired for a special/annual.  That was nice...can't believe that series even got cut because it was great.  Gregory/Magno.

Just stockpiling the go-to titles, hoping nothing's gone to crap.

• 3 weeks later...

anyone read black science? so much hype but i enjoyed it. liking coffin hill and sex criminals too

+

infinity was great, looking forward to the big threats teased at the end of new avengers #12, design looked :o; inhumanity should be cool too. 

new wolverine costume and plans for upcoming storyline (another reboot) sound shit. is he really that popular?

Dunno what's up with the quote function, raspberries.  Thor: God of Thunder is indeed really good.  All you need is an interest in the subject matter to jump on.  I've been letting it go.  I'm a big Jason Aaron fan but the mainstream work has left me in the the dust compared to things like The Other Side, Scalped, and Ghost Rider (fucking Ghost Rider!!!!!).  But Thor: God of Thunder is nice work both in writing and art.

You also can't go wrong with Simonson's Thor starting with issue 338.  What can I say, he made Thor's brother turn Thor into a frog.  Instead of sulking and being crusty about it, Thor rises to the occasion and helps all the other frogs battle the sewer rats of Central Park.  He's just that noble.  Nuff said?

I picked up the Multiple Warheads trade a couple weeks ago after strongly enjoying Graham's work on King City, and I'm liking it a lot. He does great art. I also know he does the story on Image's Prophet reboot, but I've never leafed through one. Anyone have any thoughts on it? Thinking of maybe getting some singles of it if I get the chance.

I like the practicalities and tangibles of a strange world I could never grasp.  If you found yourself really reflecting on the concept of a sasquatch clerk and his/her history...you'd like Prophet.