comics/graphic novels you've been reading

jubei

It is just way too easy to buy comics on the iPad. I download too much stuff. Some books I have enjoyed over the last while:

In the absense of any new Orc Stains I have turned to Gozilla Half Century War and Sullivan's Sluggers for my James Stokoe fix. Sluggers took a while to grab me but it was turned out to be good monster massacring fun.

Have gotten all of the current Brandon Graham Prophet run, and while I have no idea what is happening half the time, I look forward to every issue.

On that Brandon Graham tip I received the collected King City from a good friend. Everyone should read this.

Got the first 2 Mouse Guard story arcs on a sale and promptly grabbed every other issue available. Beautiful art. Love those plucky little rodents.

In further animal tales, Iron Or The War After is a "spellbinding, beautifully illustrated anthropomorphic tale" as the reviews go. Slow-burning spy story full of intrigue - worth checking out.

Am a fan of JH Williams III so read Batwoman for the art. Can't wait to see what he does with Gaiman when they restart Sandman.

Finally, remember kids, there are only 12 issues of Watchmen.

ordo, you should hunt down a copy of Multiple Warheads (I think there might some copies titled with "Warhedz"). It's only one issue. It should be a full-color ongoing soon, but that's been in the pipeline so long now that idk. Brandon Graham is getting more well-deserved exposure lately, so he might be too busy to do the pet project.

New MW is definitely coming.

Was at my shop last week and they said it was in current issue of Preview so could order for me. Added to pull list with the quicknessssss!

Can't wait for October, very excited about a full series in colour by him.

I don't feel the old '07 Oni MW issue is necessary in order to start with the coming Image series. It establishes the characters and world but nothing that I think will make the new series hard to get into. Should also eventually be included in the Trade.

Could be worth reading the original MW pr0n story, which is how MW got it's start, as it explains how Nikoli became the werewolf he is today.

Can be found here (NSFW obviously, also don't click if you don't want to taint your fav comicbooks characters by knowing about the wild werewolf sex they have!).

Plan on buying a stack of the Prophet trade to give to friends who aren't into North American comics.

Prophet also got me really interested in the work of some of the individual illustrators, but haven't had a chance to track anything down yet.

Jan's Atomic Heart by Simon Roy looks particularly good, and Giannis Milonogiannis looks great as well. Think I like his style for Prophet the best so far.

Graham is really good to follow for introductions to artists.

Now I'm sad I missed out on the Sullivan Sluggers Kickstarter, believe it can also be found on Amazon no?

Dudes at my shop were all jokes when I asked about Stokoe's Godzilla a while back "nah we don't order Godzilla for the shelf, etc etc" but last week they said they were going to carry it after all. Should've just listened to me, ha!

Orc Stain is just one of those patience things for me. Same with Nonplayer I guess.

Got really into Ross Campbell's Wet Moon a while ago, not for everyone but I think it's great. Takes it's time which is nice for a change.

He also did a fun TMNT Leo one shot recently. Really like his style and the way he approaches and develops characters.

Very much looking forward to receiving the receiving The Antler Boy and Other Stories though that's still a while away.

Same goes for Ware's Building Stories, which is supposedly a whole box set of goodies.

Oh, should also mention GRU by Paul Bohm (whom I also discovered through Graham), can be read here. Fantastic art!

Ordo mentioned it to me already but his last post was a good reminder that I should also look into Mouse Guard.

Have also been getting IDW Jurassic Park trades, because Jurassic Park. But man those are bad! Think they gave up after these 3 series they did, which is a pity as there is still much to explore within the property imho.

That's mainly what has excited me in NA comics over the last couple of months, there's of course some BD series but they're not really worth sharing as most of those only come out in French and Dutch anyway, so that would just be frustrating to you guys, ha!

Some questions:

Never read Scott Pilgrim, is it worth getting the box set?

Any thoughts on Lock & Key?

Aaaaand back into lurker mode I go…

Wow, Cotton you have good taste.

I haven't read any TMNT since Tales #5 and Blind Sight. It oscillates between brilliant and meh, but no matter what you can tell Lawson and Laird had a shit-ton of fun with the whole art concept.

I dropped Locke and Key after Head Games. I'd have to read it again to offer thoughts. Visually, it was a beautiful product before the economy crashed. I really loved the matte covers with gloss details...kind of like a brocade or jacquard of the world of comicbookery, haha.

Thanks dude.

I hadn't looked at any TMNT for ages so not familiar with those. Just got interested because of Campbell's one shot.

There's a trade with all the classic Eastman and Laird coming out soon I believe.

Will just have to look into Locke and Key myself, is it a lot to catch up on?

On the topic of anthropomorphism Blacksad recently got released in English in beautiful hardback form, very much recommended.

In fact I think it's one of the best BD's/comics I've read.

Looked up Blacksad, good tip. Odd that it would have lag time being released in its own locale. Les Bandes Dessines (listen to me lol) are so good. Okko is the most recent French import I'm following. Soleil flopped so hard here even though Sky Doll was good shit. They just picked the wrong titles, more bland Samurai glut and a sci-fi title that was more Humberto-Ramos-crossover-hype than a good comic.

Both tales #5 and Blind Sight are collected here. You can find this easily (as far as I know) so don't sweat the single one on amazon.

http://www.amazon.co...s of the tmnt 5

That cover is basically the art concept, heavy and rough negative b/w. The art delivers the flow of Leonardo being temporarily blinded and then hunting down the fool who would dare to blind him. The single issue of Tales #5 is far superior to the follow-up miniseries that was Blind Sight. It's all pretty good nonetheless.

Locke and Key has a sizable body of work but it's structured as a story with a beginning, middle, and end. It will be ending soon. I don't think it would be too formidable to catch up. How many 6-ish chapters are there now? Four or five maybe? Could be a little more...I'm not sure.

As far as a meager review from memory, I do recall an engaging stage of the tale when the youngest kid becomes able to wander as an apparition.

Edited by jyoni

• 2 weeks later...

*Phantom Lady and Dollman looks like it will be some good reading. Gray-Palmiotti. I was hoping for Amanda Connor interiors but she only does the cover. It's just a four-issue DC mini for anyone who likes that.

Edited by jyoni

I was hoping for Amanda Connor interiors but she only does the cover.

This is one of my pet peeves - I think the interior artist should do the cover. I don't know how many times I have searched a particular artist and thought they contributed to an issue only to find it was just the cover. I am not buying a comic just for the cover - no matter how many iterations they put out.

So far I caught up with some superhero books - mostly the Batman titles. I have to say Court of owls is fucking amazing, best story since Black Mirror.

I have never been a big DC guy but picked up Capullo's Batman and I have to agree that the Court Of Owls arc was very good.

In unrelated superhero business, Waid's run on Daredevil has also been very good - Eisner award-winning good. They put out the collected version of the first 6 issues last week and it is worth picking up.

This is one of my pet peeves - I think the interior artist should do the cover. I don't know how many times I have searched a particular artist and thought they contributed to an issue only to find it was just the cover. I am not buying a comic just for the cover - no matter how many iterations they put out.

Yeah, so true, I always prefer the covers by the interior artist, if it's an option among the variants of 5 damn covers.

I have to confess, I do keep a pervy shortbox of hotties even if I dgaf about the comic. That part of my collection doesn't see much action. However dubious, it does maintain a taste level. I'm not going to buy something just because somebody drew some booty and titties. Finch's Death cover for Action Comics was the last one I bought up until last week, when I added Vampirella stretching her lats :blush:

• 2 weeks later...

No more Parker on Thunderbolts --> Dark Avengers --> Thunderbolts. wtf, the dude has an all-but sacred Marvel opus between Marvel Adventures, X-Men First Class (yeah kiddie books), Agents of Atlas, and Thunderbolts. Joe Q been blunting one too many Cubans.

Edited by jyoni

• 2 weeks later...

I'll check for you when I grab my stuff this week, magnetic.

Scored a decent copy of My Greatest Adventure 80. Paid little. Nothing exciting to me about paying x-amount for a comic worth exactly said amount.

The connecting covers for the final push of Sweet Tooth are a good idea but I wish they were more like chunks of a big elaborate piece.

I deleted this earlier (ordo can still spot it) because it seemed un-recommendable upon hindsight. But I take that back, Danger Girl x G.I. Joe is a fun read. Get through the corn -- "Hey, let's go save some Joes" -- and there is high adventure to be had.

Doh, magnetic you must have meant that you can't wait for it to come out, lol. Grabbed the trade (amazon pre-order, lcs was short copies). Looks like a good read!

Edited by jyoni

• 2 weeks later...

^Pretty sure lfs' still have alot of the zombie variants if you're digging for them that way. Kinda beat but they have them (anyway "beat" to me means like a really nice 9.2 haha). I can just get you in touch with a few of them. I might have extras of the Spider-Girl ones but I'd be loathe to let em go.

Multiple Warheads, oh good god damn! Eyes cold Russian Werewolf comics. Alphabet too infinity. I wish it was on flat page stock but whatever.

Edited by jyoni

• 1 month later...