comics/graphic novels you've been reading

jubei

i thought Watchmen was great, but i think it benefits from slow reading and single issue pacing, if you read it collected and all in a sitting its too much. i think you have to let it sit a little between issues, read the little case files and everything. the Dr. Manhattan-centric issue is one of my favorite comics.

Y the last man is a series worth finishing.

kind of just getting into reading comics, my buddy collects them and lends me the good ones.

if your friend has fables, borrow that. its what i give to people that are not very familiar with comics but are interested, and its pretty different from the other ones your going to borrow.

thanks for the recs guys, i was actually engrossed with the boys and preacher the entire time. whenever it seemed like it was getting too slow or on too far of a tangent it got back on track pretty much immediately.

the aspects i'm most interested in are the kinda alternate history type ones, or anything that tries to portray traditional comic content in a real world situation, if that makes any sense. i really liked all the pop culture refs in preacher(when he meets bill hicks etc) and how the boys was based around supers living in the real world. i'm also going to borrow superman red sun from him, sounds really interesting(the story is about if superman fell into russia instead of the usa.)

i'll check out V and swamp thing!

e0d9n0b5, No Hero was a cool little series you should try. Similar to The Boys, but it focused more heavily on the process and politics of drug-induced superpowers in a "real world." Ryp's art is fantastic. It regularly crosses the line of pure madness here.

Also, at some point you should read Watchmen. I'm just saying, read something more accessible by the guy first. It's kind of a disservice to new readers that Watchmen is so prevalent in the market.

Over the weekend, I scored a full set of Nexus at a yardsale. All of it for ten bucks. When I got home, I discovered I'd just scored this #1 version of the b/w :eek:

002-9.jpg

is it signed by the creative team?

i just came back from the comic store and the hole in the wall manga shop, and decided the order in which to read my purchases, i put aside the ones for another day, when i realized there were more than 30 books that i havent read that i had left for another day. mostly regular comics but some OGN's/manga too, so today will be that another day, wish me luck. :cool:

^ Yeah, #1 was a Paul Gulacy cover so he's in there too. You could easily get anything signed if you ran into the guys, but that particular set was a limited offering of 500 and came with that airbrushed print.

If anyone wants my Nexus duplicates, I have 2-17. No b/w, color series only. Nothing really sweet, just vgf to f. You can have them free, just pay for some decent shipping. For two bucks more I can add #1 and grab myself another low grade copy. You can't replicate or reprint the matte color process of the og's.

**just remembered I have the collected b/w gn I got as a freebie. So fuck it, you can have that too.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/09/14/13-more-appearances-of-the-strange-woman-of-the-dc-new-52/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+BleedingCool+%28Bleeding+Cool+Comic+News+%26+Rumors%29

Things like this are annoying, i'm out of the loop

I stopped reading just before flashpoint, i've read she's at the end of it? new event??

+

super motherfuckin' hyped for DAT BATWOMAN. OH GOD J. H. WILLIAMS OH GOD.

++

sinestro is earth's green lantern? hal w/o a ring? wtffff

Just finished up Lazarus Churchyard and Desolation Jones and really enjoyed them. Anyone have any recommendations for more anti-hero stuff in the same vein? I really enjoy stuff with sci-fi, noir, or spook/spy stuff.

I was stoked Bat Woman was back... the art in that is the best shit going around right now...

Just finished up Lazarus Churchyard and Desolation Jones and really enjoyed them. Anyone have any recommendations for more anti-hero stuff in the same vein? I really enjoy stuff with sci-fi, noir, or spook/spy stuff.

well it means you liked Ellis... so if you want more well written Ellis look for FELL... if you want some off-the-wallness then get TRANSMETROPOLITAN... if you want more spandex-with-a-twist get his STORMWATCH and PLANETARY work.

But the best anti-hero for me has to be PREACHER.

Shit, I forgot to grab Swamp Thing earlier this month. I will have to do that.

I'm on the fence with All-Star Western, but I'll keep reading for now. It's just the first issue. They're always odd things. Hex is too peripheral so far...feels disjointed...and Arkham is too damned pithy. Hex's dialogue still has the funny edge though.

Coming to Gotham for a job is a plausible enough premise. However, Hex could have much better reasons to kick off his visit. Mei Ling and their kid falling into hard times in the big city for example. That would be a much more seamless transition. It would offer fresh material to get them together as a couple again (for a spell), while plying a tale of shifting from frontier work to independent city detective to make ends meet. But I suppose that wouldn't really jive too well with a massive DC event.

anyone read the newest optic nerve yet?

it was alright, i feel adrian tomine draws too much from his influences, the first story felt like a chris ware homage. The second story was interesting and the little appendix comic (lol'ed at the last line) was a nice way to end the comic.

fables is dire right now, buying out of loyalty, i really hope it picks up.

about to read red wing, 1-3

Yes, I had to go way out to the burbs for All-Star Western. Everyone in town under-ordered many of the titles and have been selling out all month. I don't understand why. Completists will want all of them no matter what. There are no sleeper titles with this kind of "event," may as well order a ton of each.

• 1 month later...