comics/graphic novels you've been reading

jubei

Shit, I totally spaced out Orc Stain. Now that's some quality comic bookery!

^ If Lone Wolf and Cub starts to lose you, be sure to try Samurai Executioner or Path of the Assassin. Less saga, more hard-ass grit.

• 1 month later...

^ very unsatisfying. It reaches a point early on where it seems like it is going to really take off, but it doesn't last. I don't want to spoil it, but the best development is revisited only once, in the annual.

Still some badass art in there though, especially if you like Kirby's work with arcane symbols and geometry.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Shameless plug...I listed some of these on ebay. I still have ONE. If anyone wants it, 68 usd shipped (conus) is my price. Must be a good price because the others went really fast. I figured I'd offer it to a sufu'er instead of just hiking the ebay price.

No crushes or dents. Awesome and impossible to find now, except for folded promos. pm me about it.

519LnJNv%2ByL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

mjposter.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Sentences is a really good read, IAC. I'm a bit of a Doom and Grimm fan anyway, but the art style is nice and raw and the story itself is just wicked. Thug rappers that don't glorify that shit. Grimm certainly regrets some of his lifestyle choices.

• 2 weeks later...

^ That Incal prequel was really good. I didn't get into the original stuff beyond a passing read, and by the end of course the prequel was leading into that, with the two little pyramids etc. The prequel is less fantastic, more grounded in gritty urban adventures.

Reading this now. Shit's crazy.

V_for_Vendetta_1.jpg

I'm thinking I might track these down in the original magazine-size b/w for a re-read. An expensive endeavor, yes, if you prefer to curl up with hard copy. But it looks...incredible.

35959057.png

I

the fuck y'all reading?

The new ish of Jonah Hex is some flaky ass shit. I really hope "All Star Western" maintains. It's set in 1885 Gotham so at least it isn't any futuristic bullshit. But the crossovers with the DC universe concern me. wtf. My pull list has been pared so ruthlessly. Hex made the cut, right at the very top of the goddamned shortstack. Hope it's good.

I've been trying to increase the pull list the last couple months but nothing seems to be worthwhile... latest decent (regular big company) reads are

Deadpool Max (Lapham)

Criminal,

The Boys,

Punisher Max (new Punisher sucks),

Uncanny X-Force (about time a bloody version of these characters was regular, still not as good as the last X-Force but i'm hopeful),

Black Panther (DD has gone to shit)

Rasl

Moon Knight (hopefully it maintains the pace/edge)

I'll have to try some stuff off your list. The Boys and Punisher Max are already on mine, but The Boys has an ending looming and I've grown leery of Jason Aaron's mainstream work. Punisher Max is pretty good right now though. The last one I liked as much was Born.

Elephantmen would be a good one to try. I wouldn't jump right on though. Definitely pick up a copy of the Wounded Animals and War Toys trades to start with. The last year of Elephantmen has been iffy. The first couple years? Amazing.

It starts out very vignette-y. Snapshots of the whole. The negative space it leaves for you is very rich and intriguing though. It's too bad it's gotten so meandering. I think when you have something THAT good, the best thing you can do is to start thinking about how to end it.

Random, but I just scored this on ebay. God I love this! Unfortunately it's for the waif because it's way too small for me. She's become my rack for vintage tees I can't wear.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120759770374&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

• 4 weeks later...

Sleeper title for real. tbh I spotted a page with panties and bras drying on a clothesline in the spaceship and it made me go to the start and read. So I'm crass :rolleyes:

This is really well done.

check out Frank Cho's "Liberty meadows", i swear he draws the sexiest idealized fake women in comics. i havent read 50/50, i shall get on that.

check out Frank Cho's "Liberty meadows", i swear he draws the sexiest idealized fake women in comics. i havent read 50/50, i shall get on that.

Oh yes. I also like Adriano Batista, Marc Silvestri, Benitez, and Mel Rubi's work with women. Campbell is so damned redundant in his work, but his Warlord of Mars covers were outstanding, and he actually tried an Asian girl for Elephantmen recently. Goofy result, but I'm glad he at least tried it.

My pull list has been so razed, the only new DC 52 I'm waiting for is All-Star Western.

The only saving graces of Watchmen for me were the swashbuckling seafarer tale (it's ridiculously dope) and the random shit from Rorschach. The rest is heavy marketing and hype. Dude, please don't wind up bored by comics. You'd be better off reading V for Vendetta or some Swamp Thing (motherfucker!). Granted, I've only recently read V for Vendetta so it is crisp in my head. I have a giant hard-on to get the og b/w strips. Early Locke and Key is good and engrossing. I dropped it a while ago so my opinions are limited to what you have already read.

What are your thoughts on the things you've read? I've only started feeling out Preacher and Y the Last Man. No hate, but I don't know how far I'll feel these out. The Boys dries up around issue 30/35-ish and stays dry until the origin tales arise. I think at this point Ennis realized it was best as a finite tale, something he may not have come to terms with earlier.