comics/graphic novels you've been reading

jubei

90s...

Preacher, Jinx, Stray Bullets, Optic Nerve... the work Warren Ellis did for Image... the Alan Moore work for Supreme was good... some great great series' in the 90s

Nice, thanks! I wasn't reading ANYTHING in the 90s. I've been running into wall after wall trying to find stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

fuuuuuuuuuuuck Crossed's just pushing that envelope big time... so unexpected from Lapham...

DUM - The Boys is great. I do appreciate that they're written in ARCS. Why has that format so rare in comics nowadays?

I recommend STRAY BULLETS...

01-10 http://www.mediafire.com/?25rwy2dgogy

11-20 http://www.mediafire.com/?zeynqmxeomg

21-30 http://www.mediafire.com/?zfylynymgzm

31-40 http://www.mediafire.com/?5dyzzjomwnq

Nemesis is cool so far, but I feel like way too much has happened in just two issues.

Also, going to try and finish up Preacher and start The Boys (I think Magnetic mentioned that?)

Preacher is way better than I expected. I can't believe I had slept on it for so long. It starts out really strange, but once the story develops it gets better and better. I'm only about 20 issues in, but I can't wait to see where it leads.

speaking of old vertigo shit

i've been reading a ton of old Hellblazer comics

amazing stuff - i think it was a bit too adult for me as a teenager

can relate to it a lot more now

amazing people worked on that comic - grant morrison, jamie delano, garth ennis...

really dark and atmospheric

squirmfest

it is pretty wild being able to grab all the hellblazers at the local library for free

wish they carried graphic novels at the library when i was a wee lad

also been grabbing all the gegika books D&Q have been putting out

am in the middle of RED SNOW right now and it is excellent

redsnowlandscape.jpg

BOX MAN was a trip - prefigured shit like Jim Woodring's FRANK comics

(which I love) and like... LORD QUAS!

boxmanfdopie.gif

amazing that the US didn't catch up to postwar japan's comics until say, the late 1960s...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Scalped is awesome. One of the few comics my wife reads as well.

Been getting into some old-school Doom Patrol and I must say it is really a gem. I daresay it does make early X-Men read like the cheap rip-off alot of people believe it to be. I didn't want to shell out big dollars for the Archive editions so I've been picking up ratty old floppies. Pretty good aesthetic to reading those shitty, crumbling books!

The Occult Files of Doctor Spektor is another good old one I've started. 70s Gold Key fare. Kind of turns the cheesy-horror-host archetype on its head. It's in a trade now, but again, if LCS has a trade for fifty bucks, or a stack for twenty, I'll go for the stack.

i love the old Doom Patrol series

well, really, every incarnation of the series

reading the old issues of the first series is the only way to do it

half the fun is reading the old ads

finally up to #77 on walking dead

and i'm halfway through alan moore's Lost Girls

and i'm kinda nonplussed

^ I agree about the ads! Reading the old letter columns is another big plus.

I'm looking forward to eventually reading the Kupperberg stuff. I've liked his writing, but I can't really remember what I have read of his...I was thinking Sword of the Atom (an outstanding mini-series) but that's Gil Kane/*Jan Strnad

• 1 month later...

Binged a few days ago. I seem to have this mild sickness where I won't read comics ever, realize that Garth Ennis did another series, and then spend roughly 13 hours in one go reading through a series.

Preacher

Transmetropolitan

and lately, Hitman.

I love his stuff, gritty, poignant, and occasionally hilarious.

Hitman has to be the only comic I've ever read that dealt with family, brotherhood, pissing off the entire Mafia, demon spawn running bars, and the problems of maintaining a relationship in a realistic manner.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hitman_(comics)

Hitman has to be the only comic I've ever read that dealt with...demon spawn running bars...in a realistic manner.

This made me laugh a little :)

About halfway through this. Never realised how much adult-oriented stuff Osamu Tezuka did, only remember his style from Astro Boy as a kid. This is full of all sorts of murder and transgender wierdness. Probably going to read Ode to Kirihito next...

35297491.jpg

King City

Just Another XY - Check out The Boys

Kinq City is great. I'm buying the two-panel chapter title art of Joe looking at his reflection in the toilet then pissing in it. I also want the one with Anna in the tub but Brandon Graham can't find it (hasn't sold it though so I'm hoping). Bathroom pastiche stuff. Second choices would be Anna with the knuckle tats or something from Multiple Warhedz or Madame Xanadu.