comics/graphic novels you've been reading

jubei

I've had these on my shelf for sooo long. Really need to make time for them soon.

mouseguard.jpg

thekiller1cover.jpg

I've been eager for more Mouse Guard. The only one I've read so far is the issue where the mouse has to fight the owl in the snow, and trudges away from the epic battle wearing one of that motherfucker's feathers behind his ear.

Civil War was mediocre as dick. I heard a lot of shit got retconned too. (thats the term right?)

Dum you could follow civil war ok, and planet hulk and world war hulk. i second 78's recs as well.

Well, Civil War was built up for sometime but was a let down. Bendis cant do big ensemble work and his House of M is a let down too except it created tons of tie-ins. Leinil Yu's art was horrible as well.

In fact I thought Morrison's Final Crisis was fine including killing off the New Gods and making Batman into BatCaveman.

World War Hulk was only good due to Romita Jr's art.

Kinda like me but quit in the 90s... and gotback a few yrs ago... I tried getting into Marvel but did get lost... Get Daredevil from Bendis' run onwards, get Cap by Brubaker and Ennis' Punisher... I tried to do the X-titles again and stated with Astonishing but that really didn't deliver... the rest of the titles suffer from the reason I dumped 'em a decade ago i.e. silly cross-overs with an endless cast written/drawn by subpar creators resulting in poor character development and reptetitititive scenario's. Don't even fuckin try and get into the Avengers plots...

I would recommend Grant Morrison's New X-Men run and his JLA run too. Love his work with Quitely and will get that combo in almost everything they did together from All Star Superman to X-Men to Authority to WE3 to JLA Earth 2.

Joss Whedon's Astonishing X aint too bad. So was Warren Ellis' Ghost Box.

Bendis' New Avengers aint too bad and his dialogue is good.

JM Straczinski's Spiderman is excellent but I think they have been wiped off continuity.

Jeph Loeb's Ultimatum is good for his wiping off the entire Marvel Universe but writing is mediocre. Art is fantastic though.

52 by I think Grant Morrison is good too. But his Countdown to Final Crisis is confusing as hell.

Brubaker/Fractions' Iron Fist is great. Who would have thought a B grade hero killed off many times can be so cool.

Tons of good stuff and there aint no need to follow continuity from ages ago and the stories don't end with a cliff-hanger forcing you to buy more books and tie-ins.

Wooo. Update on my comic reading. It's a little over a month since I finished reading ultimate spider-man that I'd downloaded. Since then I started actually buying the comics and I downloaded the rest of the Ultimate Universe and read it all. I've got 20 TPBs from the Ultimate Universe and plan to collect it all, but I'm getting drawn to lots of other stuff right now. Started buying 100 Bullets, Y: The Last Man, Buffy Season 8, Ex Machina(In order of greatness). These keep me occupied as far as ongoing series goes. Other than that I've been collecting Batman Hardcovers. The Killing Joke, The Man Who Laughs, Joker (Yes a theme here,) Whatever happened to the caped crusader. Also I picked up The Black Glove today without realizing is part four of the grant morrison hardcovers. The batman is by far the most visually stunning stuff, every artist in the books i've got is amazing. I need to pick up the Absolute batman stuff, Hush, the long halloween and dark knight (the latter two i've read but need on my shelf.) If anyone here has love for the bat, i'm looking for hardcover recommendations.

Did a huge grant morrison batman buy today. Batman and son, the ressurection of ra's al ghul, batman RIP, batman and robin: reborn. this puts all morrisons current batman volumes on my shelf and gets me up to date on batmans current events (lol) The real gem that i picked up though was a 1st ED Arkham Asylum hardcover signed by both morrison and mckean

I recently caught up, and so I read Flash #1 (which is pretty decent) and then came across a teaser for a new event due next year called Flashpoint - did anyone else see this?

had a zoom costume, white lantern ring, what appears to be bruce wayne, wonder woman in front of london, a pic of paris, and other shit.

Looks intriguing, I trust DC to do events better than Marvel anyway. Siege is a snoozefest amirite?

• 1 month later...

Transparent Cranium, David Lapham's City of Crime Batman stuff is pretty good. Lapham usually is though. A "lost" issue of that run is rumored to be released. I think it was originally canned because it was pencilled by a feature artist whose work clashed with the regulars. The previous batch of Joker's Asylum was another good read, especially Jason Aaron's Penguin.

Also, Jeff Parker's X-Men First Class is outstanding, although it is all-ages, one shot format. That doesn't matter though, anyone who slogs through enough bullshit comics knows that.

I bumped the thread to mention the new Thunderbolts, starting with issue 144. I was about to drop it entirely but gave it a shot. Kind of a spoiler here -- Man-Thing is pretty intriguing as the crew's transportation. He's always been such a goofy, boring character. That's one of Parker's strong points, taking really static characters and making them interesting as-is.

I just finished Crumb's (Book of) Genesis joint and it was good, if sometimes a little dry. More entertaining than the Old Testament sans pictures anyway.

And just tore through the latest hardcover collection of Walking Dead (#5); totally addictive but I can't help feel ripped off somehow when I spend $25 for something I finish reading during the course of a day.

AND have been savoring the Frank Frazetta ICON collection. Forgot he did the Little Annie Fannie strips; I believe I've got a few of those in some old 1960s Playboys somewhere. Love that old Heavy Metal sword and sandal fantasy shit. Put on some YES and vibe.

batman, perhaps the Batman RIP arc if you want to read something relatively newer, which leads to a new Batman and Robin, also featured in a new book of the same name which has been pretty consistent.

Also, have to recommend JH William's recent run on Detective Comics featuring Batwoman, so, so, so good.

check out the sweet panels, dude

3727524054_7d8dfc8111.jpg

Green Lantern, hmmn, it's been pretty good for a while imo, Johns has done an awesome job bringing it back with Vol.4. (and Green Lantern Corps) Not sure what you've read, but I'd go for Green Lantern: Rebirth, Sinestro Corps War and GL vol. 4 (only 54 issues in so far) & Green Lantern Corps. along with Blackest Night.

+

sidenote, did anyone else read Wolverine: Weapon X #13? Enjoyed the shit out of Spiderman's exchange with Thing. So funny.

Green Lantern, hmmn, it's been pretty good for a while imo, Johns has done an awesome job bringing it back with Vol.4. (and Green Lantern Corps) Not sure what you've read, but I'd go for Green Lantern: Rebirth, Sinestro Corps War and GL vol. 4 (only 54 issues in so far) & Green Lantern Corps. along with Blackest Night.

+1 for blackest night fosho

Johns knows how to do a big event and have it deliver...unlike bendis

Everyone should also go check out Thor and Fantastic Four!

For weekly comics I usually pick up Marvel titles-- X-Men, Avengers, and Spiderman. The current X-Men crossover is pretty good, I'm just waiting for it to wrap up. The relaunch of all the Avengers titles looks promising, especially Secret Avengers. I'm not too psyched on Spiderman's Grim Hunt that has just come out, but we'll see where that goes.

I just recently caught up with The Walking Dead. Holy shit, this is a great comic. I'll definitely be picking this up every month. So good.

• 2 weeks later...

^ Were those the ones with the Aliens' natural predators? The floating elephantine things? I might be thinking of an earlier series.

I'm not too psyched on Spiderman's Grim Hunt that has just come out, but we'll see where that goes.

Joe Kelly wrote my favorite recent Spider-Man, back around 600-610 or so, when he started tapping the Black Cat. Not really feeling this one though. Think I might drop it for a while, especially with Quesada trying to rehash the Mephisto shit.

• 2 weeks later...

^ Scarlet is definitely promising. It's nice to see those guys stay together on an Icon project.

51YsiFoxIkL._SS500_.jpg

What do you know, decent stuff from the '90s. This series completely falls apart whenever John Byrne is absent though.

90s...

Preacher, Jinx, Stray Bullets, Optic Nerve... the work Warren Ellis did for Image... the Alan Moore work for Supreme was good... some great great series' in the 90s