comics/graphic novels you've been reading

jubei

SI has been kicking ass so far. FC, not so much... there's already talk of fill in artists and delays and it hasen't even hit the stands yet!

As for the Spirit movie... it's pretty much Sin City 1.5. I'm more than glad to see another movie done up in the this style, but I don't know that they should pretend that this is anything more than Frank Miller's version of the spirit, not Eisner's.

I don't get the fan fare of a lot of comics. Admittedly, I am not exposed to that many "western" style comics, but at the least, Miller seems quite overrated. Ronin bored me. Sin city was pretty good. 300 was all right.

good manga's complex story lines and character development appeal to me more.

On that note, Death Note is fairly overrated. for twists and cliff hangers, 20th Century Boys, anyone?

Oh, has anyone read It's a Bird ? That is a pretty amazing comic.

Good thread, this past year I've been getting huge into comics. I have a sizable back log right now of shit to read but am looking for help when it comes to Batman comics, and the Hellboy/BPRD comics.

I just recently got a torrent of Hellboy shit, in it was included Hellboy Trades, Hellboy JR, BPRD, Crossovers, Makoma, The Darkhorse book of Hauntints, Third Wish- The Island, Various One Shots, and Weird Tales. I'm not really sure where to start, is there any way someone could give me a timeline for these?

As for the Batman comics, I have the "25 Greatest Batman Comics" and also don't know where to start with these. Obviously Year One should be read first, but are there any that should definitely be read before the others in terms of timeline and story? I know a few of those are Elseworlds so they can be read whenever, but I'm nervous to dive right in and just start wherever.

...are there any that should definitely be read before the others in terms of timeline and story? I know a few of those are Elseworlds so they can be read whenever, but I'm nervous to dive right in and just start wherever.

the whole Batman thing gets weird but definitely read a Death in the Family before a Lonely Place of Dying. after that i couldn't tell you anything further, comic storylines drive me nuts. i would also recommend reading Identity Crisis, which isn't on that list because it's more of a JLA thing but it's a good read imo (you may want to read this AFTER you have read a Lonely Place of Dying due to previous character changes).

I just recently got a torrent of Hellboy shit, in it was included Hellboy Trades, Hellboy JR, BPRD, Crossovers, Makoma, The Darkhorse book of Hauntints, Third Wish- The Island, Various One Shots, and Weird Tales. I'm not really sure where to start, is there any way someone could give me a timeline for these?

As for the Batman comics, I have the "25 Greatest Batman Comics" and also don't know where to start with these. Obviously Year One should be read first, but are there any that should definitely be read before the others in terms of timeline and story? I know a few of those are Elseworlds so they can be read whenever, but I'm nervous to dive right in and just start wherever.

Hellboy timeline doesn't matter much once after the first two trades once all the major players get introduced. I think it goes Right Hand of Doom > Wake the Devil and after that you can read in whatever order you want. BPRD has almost no Hellboy in it and Crossovers and one shots are pretty cool.

That Batman list is wack. Red Rain and The Cult are some of the worst Batman books ever. Although I haven't read at least six of them and I'm not sure if they are still in print.

Hellboy timeline doesn't matter much once after the first two trades once all the major players get introduced. I think it goes Right Hand of Doom > Wake the Devil and after that you can read in whatever order you want. BPRD has almost no Hellboy in it and Crossovers and one shots are pretty cool.

That Batman list is wack. Red Rain and The Cult are some of the worst Batman books ever. Although I haven't read at least six of them and I'm not sure if they are still in print.

Thanks for the info. And as for the Batman list I haven't started it yet but if you see some glaring omissions then post em.

how's the live action movie compare with the anime?

Death Note, despite the assoication with the Hot Topic set (ugh), is actually quite excellent. I really like the illustration style and it's got some great twists and cliffhangers.

I don't read a huge amount of comics but I tend to enjoy a bit of manga

favourites:

Gunsmith Cats (all time favourite...so good)

Sanctuary (epic yakuza / political story)

Cannon God eXaXXion (if darkhorse dont finish the series i am gonna be giga pissed)

Battle Angel Alita

Cult is OK for its time. Just like the Son of Demon thingy

Wanted is really good

Daredevil run by Bendis and Meleev is devine

Ultimates 1 & 2 is amazing

Doktor Sleepless is something i've been following with much interest

Ex Machina is also very good

Iron Man: Extremis

Next Wave: Agents of H.A.T.E. is hilarious

Batman & Son

Batman: Hush (story is decent, but it's what thrust Jim Lee back into the spotlight)

Desolation Jones

Criminal all three arcs by Brubaker are phenominally gritty

The Escapists is definately worth a look.

also recent runs that have dropped you should look into:

Marvel Secret Invasion

Marvel 1985

Kick Ass

Iron Man: Viva Las Vegas

Not actually that great a comic, but Superman: Red Son was pretty sweet for novelty.

Mark Millar's writing was good. In the end, we discovered the 'L' in the house of El stands for Luthor. So that means Lex is Superman's grand daddy o. Krypton is also earth thousands of years from now.

Wanted is really good

Daredevil run by Bendis and Meleev is devine

Ultimates 1 & 2 is amazing

Doktor Sleepless is something i've been following with much interest

Ex Machina is also very good

Iron Man: Extremis

Next Wave: Agents of H.A.T.E. is hilarious

Batman & Son

Batman: Hush (story is decent, but it's what thrust Jim Lee back into the spotlight)

Desolation Jones

Criminal all three arcs by Brubaker are phenominally gritty

The Escapists is definately worth a look.

also recent runs that have dropped you should look into:

Marvel Secret Invasion

Marvel 1985

Kick Ass

Iron Man: Viva Las Vegas

Desolation Jones is great. If you like Nextwave, check out Daughters of the Dragon as well. But Batman and Son? Thats one of Morrison's worst work. There's this trend in the Bat books to end with a mystery like how did Jason Todd and Hush get resurrected. Whether Bat Boy is Bat man's son.

Thanks for the info. And as for the Batman list I haven't started it yet but if you see some glaring omissions then post em.

Although the list is odd in parts, at least give the guy credit for the list.

My other favs are:

1. Warren Ellis/John Cassaday: Planetary-Batman tie in.

Planetary folks end up in Gotham chasing some experimented dude whose power to shift realities run amok. They meet Dick Grayson and a guy suspiciously like the Joker as supporting cast.

When arresting the dude, they of course run into Batman and when the dude can't control his powers, they run into different versions of Batman from the cool Dark Knight to the nerdy Adam West version to the Len Wein version to the Frank Miller Dark Knight Returns version with Bat-tank and all to future Batman with viking like horn ears. All have different outlook towards crime.

Best part is when Batman ask what are they going to do with the dude and the dude whose parents are killed asked him how he deals with the situation. Batman's speech is in effect about himself. About how he does what he does so other kids wont' suffer like he did in his childhood. His is with more than a hint on his own sad childhood.

And Jakita Wagner fights Batman.

Cassaday's art is incredible as always.

from what i've heard Warren Ellis is an awesome writer. have you read any of his other stuff?

He is an awesome writer....if you like his style, and I mean REALLY like it, because it is in your face all the time and does not fucking change. Planetary is probably in my top 3 series of the last decade and I also really liked Transmet and what he started with Stormwatch/The Authority. Nextwave was also awesome.

The problem is that all he writes now are anti-authority snarky bastards so almost all his characters have the same voice. A lot of his lesser work like Ocean, Down, Tokyo Storm Warning, Black Gas, Wolfskin, Black Summer all have interesting concepts but the writing becomes really stale.

The problem is that all he writes now are anti-authority snarky bastards so almost all his characters have the same voice. A lot of his lesser work like Ocean, Down, Tokyo Storm Warning, Black Gas, Wolfskin, Black Summer all have interesting concepts but the writing becomes really stale.

yeah, though it is not as bad I find he suffers from the same problem as Frank Miller, and really any autor who has fallen into a comfortable place in his writing.

never the less his blog is very interesting and funny should any of you wish to check it out: http://www.warrenellis.com/

I'm really interested in secret invasion and the return from exile of Nick Fury though.

Same here! i actually hoped for nick to come back after civil war to set everyones shit straight, but im happy hes going do it in secret invasion.

from what i've heard Warren Ellis is an awesome writer. have you read any of his other stuff?

Read alot but not all.

What I liked is Planetary, Ultimate Fantastic 4, Ultimate Galactus Book 1, Desolation Jones, City of Silence (maybe), New Universal (maybe also).

His indie work can be abit hit and miss like Ocean and that one about monsters in Tokyo and robots battling them. Very anime like writing.

Think Ellis is one of those Brit writers whom Alan Moore created jobs for. Brit writer equates to good writers now. People like Morrison and Gaiman so far didnt let the big publishers down but I am sure there are other Brit writers who suck.

• 1 year later...