comics/graphic novels you've been reading

jubei

Finished Smith's Spidey/Cat. It wasn't THAT bad (I'm a sucker for Spidey/DD team-ups) but that last issue?

*RAPE IS BAD*

Did Smith have to hammer that point in so hard? It got pretty annoying. That ruined it for me. I recall a similar stunt that Smith pulled that pissed me off in another of his books...was it Dardevil (Guardian Devil)? I forget.

Oh...and Ultimates 3's Hawkeye = Grifter. WTH

Oh yah Guardian Devil. Forgot about that. Sucks too and Quesada's art on that is terrible. I really dont know why they keep getting him to write comics. Is his writing like selling tons of comics?

Smith has written a book in a while since those runs. There was a lot of hype around him at the time, because suppposedly he was going to do "comics for the fans, by the fans". I just read Guardian Devil the other day and it's GARBAGE compared to Bendis/Maleev Daredevil.

Incidentally, Bendis/Maleev's Daredevil is a great place to pick up comics if you've been out of the game for a while. It's sort of revolutionized how comics are being wirtten today (well, Marvel ones, anyway). I really want to get into Brubaker's Captain America as well, which is supposed to be excellent.

If anyone's into Batman (honestly, who isn't?) make sure you hit up all the Tim Sale/Jeph Loeb stuff, particularly The Long Halloween, which is a perennial favorite. By and far some of the most creative work done with the Batman franchise. Arkham Asylum ranks pretty high up there, too, but it isn't for everyone; a little too forced on the imagery/tarot/Freudian stuff sometimes.

My favorite one-shot still is Kingdom Come. By and far the most compelling possible future ending for the DC universe framed with fantastic writing and painted (I refuse to say "drawn") by Alex Ross.

If you're looking for stuff more along the lines of graphic novels, I'd recommend Fun Home, the entire Maus series (but I'm sure you've all already read it), and anything remotely connected to Alan Moore.

P.S. Twilight of the Superheroes: Alan Moore's pitch for a DC cataclysm. Formulated waaaaayyyyy before Kingdom Come and probably would have been a bajillion times better. Warning: super long read.

If anyone's into Batman (honestly, who isn't?) make sure you hit up all the Tim Sale/Jeph Loeb stuff, particularly The Long Halloween, which is a perennial favorite. By and far some of the most creative work done with the Batman franchise. Arkham Asylum ranks pretty high up there, too, but it isn't for everyone; a little too forced on the imagery/tarot/Freudian stuff sometimes.

My favorite one-shot still is Kingdom Come. By and far the most compelling possible future ending for the DC universe framed with fantastic writing and painted (I refuse to say "drawn") by Alex Ross.

If you're looking for stuff more along the lines of graphic novels, I'd recommend Fun Home, the entire Maus series (but I'm sure you've all already read it), and anything remotely connected to Alan Moore.

P.S. Twilight of the Superheroes: Alan Moore's pitch for a DC cataclysm. Formulated waaaaayyyyy before Kingdom Come and probably would have been a bajillion times better. Warning: super long read.

Kingdom Come is so great....Ross' art just adds to it's value.

And I honestly believe Long Halloween is Loeb's only good book. Everything else I read from him is shite.

On a sadness factor regarding animals:

Pride of Bagdad > We3

Incidentally, Bendis/Maleev's Daredevil is a great place to pick up comics if you've been out of the game for a while. It's sort of revolutionized how comics are being wirtten today (well, Marvel ones, anyway). I really want to get into Brubaker's Captain America as well, which is supposed to be excellent.

Bendis admitted they sort of ripped off Miller's original stroy arc where Kingpin discovered DD's identity and made life hell for him. With Maleev's artwork, they sort of made it work.

Brubaker's Capt is OK. I think he is the only one Marvel allowed to resurrect Bucky. I am sure many wanted to do that but was nixed. Just like Grant Morrison wanted to resurrect Colossus but Marvel nixed it but let Joss Whedon did it.

Anyway Brubaker's DD was better. So is his X-men.

• 1 month later...

My pick :

1) The Dark Knight Returns.

2) The Killing Joke.

3) Arkham Asylum : A Serious House On A Serious Earth.

4) Kingdom Come.

5) Marvels.

6) Sin City.

7) Watchmen.

8) Akira.

9) HellBoy.

10) From Hell.

So after a few months of not reading I picked up a few things over the last couple of weeks and I have a few choice thoughts:

Fuck you DC. I hope Grant Morrison uses Final Crisis to retcon Dan Didio's existence and erase the last 30 years of DC comics history, and suddenly Kirby's Fourth World shit starts coming out monthly as though it were brand new.

Well, that's not all true. I would want him to continue writing All-Star Superman though because that shit is amazing and issue #10 was double amazing. JSA isn't so bad either.

Secret Invasion is gearing up and I've been catching up on Avengers so I'm in the know when it happens. I'm pretty stoked for it. Bendis might not be a concept man the way Morrison is but he can write some damn good superhero shit.

Oh and I read a Brand New Day issue of Spider-man and it was awful. I don't think I'll do that anymore.

I can't wait until no one replies to this.

i've been getting into comics recently, downloading .cbrs from 0-day torrents (i dont have anywhere to purchase this sort of material nearby, cba to go to central) and they're pretty nice.

Batman is my favourite 'franchise', but the graphic novels by frank miller are barely readable on monitor so i think im gonna have to buy them but i really like The Long Halloween and The Killing Joke.

Most of my preferred characters are DC, but i understand they are under a slump or something? Anyways, im slowly getting into it..

the monthlies have not really been doing it for me lately. I am a lot more hyped for Secret Invasion than I am Final Crisis... I have no idea what the hell FC is going to be about. The DCU seems really fucked up right now, so anything short of ANOTHER continuity revamp seems unlikely.

Just read Black Hole... that was DAMN creepy. good, but creepy.

Just read Black Hole... that was DAMN creepy. good, but creepy.

Yeah, CHarles Burns is the man. Definitely check out the Big Baby trade, and I've heard Hard Boiled Defective is really good, I got it on loan, gonna have to read it soon.

Also, check out the issue of Believer where Burns is interviewed. He does all the covers for that mag, and that one is cool cause they have previews of his next project. It looks like Tin tin meets Black Hole

• 1 month later...

I just got back from a trip to Australia, and I have to say that the Kinokuniya bookstore in Sydney had the most ridiculous comic book collection out of any bookstore I've ever been to in my entire life. They had separate sections for mainstream comics, indie comics, and manga. It blew my mind.

I also just finished reading Astonishing X-Men (Whedon / Cassaday). I have to say it reminded me why I loved comics so much as a kid. I suppose the art wasn't as spectacular as I would've liked, but the story and the dialogue were extremely well done.

yes, was just thinking that. or, i can post link to deviantart page. i worked for vertigo/dc in hs and college but just picked it back up a year or so ago while doing some posters for my son. sent stuff to my old editor, who was like, "you still have it".

it's a nice diversion from my real "job".

^Keep us updated!

Also post pics of sketches in the Post your creations thread!

just downloaded and read the marvel zombies series

pretty fun read

the art in fantasic four was amazing

really gotta catch up on some stuff

When I first got into comics/graphic novels I thought Frank Miller was awesome, now I just find is writing really aggravating. He writes the same characters (brooding, dark souled men in gritty settings) over and over again.

Recent stuff I've been really into, none of it it super hero stuff, but whatever:

Incognegro (one off book about lynchings in the US south during the 1920s)

Berlin: City of Stone (awesome historical-based series set in Weimar era Berlin)

DMZ

When I first got into comics/graphic novels I thought Frank Miller was awesome, now I just find is writing really aggravating.

This is exactly how I feel. I feel like Frank Miller grew to hate the work and genre that he was famous for, and now he just writes over the top parodies of his early shit to spite fanboys. I don't think anyone has liked anything the guy has written since Dark Knight Strikes Back.

Also, considering Miller considers himself a kindred spirit with Eisner and maybe even his protege (Miller published a whole book of his conversations with Eisner), the movie version seems awfully contrived and untrue to the original The Spirit.

I really thought Grant Morrison would make me want to read Final Crisis but I don't give a shit about it at all. I'm really interested in secret invasion and the return from exile of Nick Fury though.

This is exactly how I feel. I feel like Frank Miller grew to hate the work and genre that he was famous for, and now he just writes over the top parodies of his early shit to spite fanboys. I don't think anyone has liked anything the guy has written since Dark Knight Strikes Back.

Also, considering Miller considers himself a kindred spirit with Eisner and maybe even his protege (Miller published a whole book of his conversations with Eisner), the movie version seems awfully contrived and untrue to the original The Spirit.

I really thought Grant Morrison would make me want to read Final Crisis but I don't give a shit about it at all. I'm really interested in secret invasion and the return from exile of Nick Fury though.

What about Ronin?

As for Final Crisis, it took them 20 years to do Infinite Crisis from Crisis on Infinite Earths and they are back at it now again?

When I first got into comics/graphic novels I thought Frank Miller was awesome, now I just find is writing really aggravating. He writes the same characters (brooding, dark souled men in gritty settings) over and over again.

i agree. i'm pretty tired of him. i mean, he's not bad, he just manufactures his characters off of the same mold. overrated. it gets real old real fast.