Hair Products

Anton

I have found that water based pomades just aren't strong enough to hold my hair. Tried many of the water based ones and didn't get the hype. I use Dax Wave and Groom or Lucky 13 Tru Hold(made by Murray's) I have pretty thick wavy hair and they both work great for a side part pompadour.

^i haven't used many. but for me, layrite has always given me the best hold. but none has ever given me that nice waxy texture you get from petroleum based.

Over time, water evaporates from water-based pomades which causes them to thicken up and obtain a hazy look in the jar. Be sure to keep it capped from now on because it'll get really dry if you happen to leave it open. Another way of thinking about it is that you've obtained the optimum aging, it is now at its peak ratio of water-to-product. Any drier past this point, the pomade is only getting worse. 

And you can't just mix water into it. I've tried it LOLOLOL.

i thought that might be the case. i don't have much of it left and i'm savouring every drop. it really is just perfect now. the scent has matured as well. i remember it smelling like those sweet rice balls you buy in asian groceries. now, it has a pleasant mix of tobacco and vanilla.

the texture of it is like...lotion? cream? my roommate had some and tried it and it provided

good texture before i apply any stronger stuff like a pomade or stronger cream.

and how long does it take to receive shit from grandad's pomade?

Edited by mr.invincible

the texture of it is like...lotion? cream? my roommate had some and tried it and it provided

good texture before i apply any stronger stuff like a pomade or stronger cream.

and how long does it take to receive shit from grandad's pomade?

Funny...I've been hearing occasional complaints about his delivery time recently. He must be behind on his shit.

It's a downside of ordering from home/small-batch brewers -- they're not full-flushed assembly line manufacturers.

Does anyone know a product that would soften hair and make it more curly?

get dat perm

no way just looking for a conditioner, shampoo, etc

thanks pomp!

basically watched all your videos and decided to try both the imperial classic pomade and the blindbarber90!

i really, really wanted to try the daimon barber but it was sold out :(  hopefully i will get to try that later on when it restocks

Thanks again, keep up the good work with the vids!

thanks pomp!

basically watched all your videos and decided to try both the imperial classic pomade and the blindbarber90!

i really, really wanted to try the daimon barber but it was sold out :(  hopefully i will get to try that later on when it restocks

Thanks again, keep up the good work with the vids!

dassss a lot...i respect and appreciate that you took the time.

yeah...the daimon barber is top notch stuff. after my review on it, the product took off and sold out real fast. i'm  sure they'll restock in a lil bit because they'll also be releasing an oil-based product (well...i think it'll be oil-based). like before, they'll contact me when it's released and i'll be the first to review it. 

you'll be pleased with the two products.

Finishing my second jar f Layrite and really want another pomade that is more soft in hand upon application. Layrite is too hard, and being water soluble is too dry as I already have dry hair type. I always wanted something that was soft and smooth. Closest product was bumble&bumble. I think I'm willing to forego water soluble for a product more suited for my hair type. Any suggestions and readily accessible in he US? Tia

Finishing my second jar f Layrite and really want another pomade that is more soft in hand upon application. Layrite is too hard, and being water soluble is too dry as I already have dry hair type. I always wanted something that was soft and smooth. Closest product was bumble&bumble. I think I'm willing to forego water soluble for a product more suited for my hair type. Any suggestions and readily accessible in he US? Tia

If you wanna stick with water-based, then Admiral Pomade is literally what you're looking for. Similar hold/control characteristics to Layrite but completely different in terms of application. Softest traditional water-based pomade I've come across. Another choice that'll encompass both your reqs is The Daimon Barber No.1 but they won't be restocked in the US for a while.

If you wanna switch to oil-based, you should look into Lockhart's Goon Grease, Byrd Hair Pomade, and Grandad's Light Weight Hair Pomade. If you go with Lockhart's and buy off their Etsy, use promo code 'THANKYOU' to get 20% off...I occasionally work out promo codes for my readers.

Edited by The_Pomp.

I've been using Imperial Fiber pomade for a little while now and I've had decent results with it. Product seems to have a weak hold at first but stiffens up a lot after about 30 minutes. That being said, I have very thick somewhat wavy mid-length hair on top and tight sides, and I don't think its the best product for me. I'd really like something that gives me a strong hold to manage my thick hair, but doesn't leave it too crispy. I'd like a bit of sheen to keep it from looking dried out too if possible. I've been looking at:

Hairbond Moulder

Aveda Performance Grooming Clay

and Baxter Clay Pomade

Anyone have any thoughts on any of these products? They all seem to be generally well received.

shampoo rec for thinning / receding hair (does this shit even matter ? ) 

not really, but it could be. is the receding hairline due to bad genes or based on psychological stress/pressure/whatever? Second one may be reversible.

Afterall, just check that there are no silicones in it and as less common used chemical ingredients (PEG stuff and some others). Go with some natural ingredient based shampoo to spare your scalp and remaining hair roots and try to reduce the frequency of usage. Also try to stress your hair at the minimum - if you don't really need to comb, than don't do it. Try to avoid big changes of temperature, especially in winter.

Also all those hair growth stimulating stuff is plain shit and overpriced...

Edited by frankie_four

ordered Granddad's like maybe 3 weeks ago?

i sent him an email and he said he would send it out last monday. 

finally i get a shipping tracking number today.

im not dealing with him anymore. i thot it would be fun to support these indie peeps but fuck it. 

ordered Granddad's like maybe 3 weeks ago?

i sent him an email and he said he would send it out last monday. 

finally i get a shipping tracking number today.

im not dealing with him anymore. i thot it would be fun to support these indie peeps but fuck it. 

As much as I like the dude and the product, I gotta say you're not the first to complain about his shipping. After getting featured on my blog, he told me business spiked like crazy. I enjoy helping out, but at the same time, I feel bad because I got multiple messages from readers that shipping was taking forever from him. Yeah...

But don't think all independent/small-batch brewers will be like that. They typically will have the best customer service by a long shot. It sucks that had to be your first experience dude. 

As a side note: That dude is not the original brewer for Grandad's. The original guy and his formula was bought out my this dude who currently runs it now.

Grandad probably deliever the worst customer experience in a while.  Did not realized an order delay until a week after I contacted him about the purchase.  He promised it will be shipped the same week, yet I have no received the package almost a month later.  I contacted him to request a refund and he mentioned his policy about no refund, but he will refund me when he "gets a chance."

Yet to received the promised refund.