Hair Products

Anton

I want my hair to look like this

Beatles_Ringo_Starr_1964.jpg

but unfortunately, i have straight asian hair which totally lacks texture.

how do i style my hair like that? i neeeed to know how to curl the ends and get my hair to have texture like in that picture. what products do i use and how do i go about using them? thanks!

oh i noticed asians usually hate their straight hair while white boys yearn for the straight hair we asians have, preety funy

how do i style my hair like that? i neeeed to know how to curl the ends and get my hair to have texture like in that picture. what products do i use and how do i go about using them? thanks!

oh i noticed asians usually hate their straight hair while white boys yearn for the straight hair we asians have, preety funy

it's gonna be pretty difficult if you got the typical asian straight hair.

one option i can think of is getting hair permed

Beatles_Ringo_Starr_1964.jpg

Curling iron and Uno W-Fiber

any good shampoos / conditioners for asian men?

i have thick hair.. and if i scratch my head hard enough.. scalp / dandruff w/e you call it starts to fall oout..

i've been using tresemme but that sucks.. the best one i've used so far was loreal paris but yeah...

any good names / brands would be nice.. p rice included would be great also~~

I have really thick longish hair and the wax im using isn't doin the trick.:(

Could anybody recommend a product to get the slight shine and colin farrell greaser type look?

I got long and thin hair too (no asian) and i used to use dax wave and groom, a REALLY strong wax, which did its job. but my hair always felt and looked kinda greasy and i used to have problems washing the wax out of my hair...

i tried a new wax this weekend called wella punk chic and i'm really impressed, although the wax is kinda expensive...

hope i could help somebody

• 1 month later...
Has anyone tried the "technical design clay" by gatsby? It comes in a container similar to the moving rubber series. If someone has, can you comment on the hold and whether the finish is matte or shiny. Thanks.

I tried the technical design clay by gatsby and it's really not that great. It's good if your hair is very fine because the clay is very light, but the clay clings to your hair very well so you're going to have to shampoo at least 2-3 times when showering. The clay is matte and it really doesnt hold that well (i'm guessing youre styling the pop-asian hair style.) If you have thick hair don't bother with this clay.

TLDR = doesnt hold well and matte finish

• 1 year later...

Gatsby is rather hard to find in conventional stores. If you see an Asian supermarket, try it out. As stated previously, American Crew and Sebastien Crude Clay (I think they changed the name of it) are both good alternatives.

I've actually given up on waxes and clays and now use only the Shu Uemura Shape Paste.

022008_shuuemura_a.jpg

All the texturizing of a clay in a paste that has a slightly lighter feel, no gunkiness, and the slightest of scents.

is there any American stores (Wal-Mart etc) that would have this Gatsby stuff? If not could anyone recommend me something else that I could find fairly easily in Vancouver?

if theres such places like a asian dominated plaza in your area (little tokyo, etc etc) some beauties stores may stock it.

Gatsby is rather hard to find in conventional stores. If you see an Asian supermarket, try it out. As stated previously, American Crew and Sebastien Crude Clay (I think they changed the name of it) are both good alternatives.

I've actually given up on waxes and clays and now use only the Shu Uemura Shape Paste.

All the texturizing of a clay in a paste that has a slightly lighter feel, no gunkiness, and the slightest of scents.

geek when you used sebastien, didn't your hair smell pretty earthy and bad? :(

Only if I used a lot, which was usually a sign I needed to style it another way with a different product. You shouldn't be using so much clay that you can actually smell it. Always start with a small amount, rub it and warm it up (so it spreads betters), and then apply from the root up. I would always start in the back because that's where I needed the most hold to keep my hair behaving.

if theres such places like a asian dominated plaza in your area (little tokyo, etc etc) some beauties stores may stock it.

geek when you used sebastien, didn't your hair smell pretty earthy and bad? :(

just curious, of all the products you tried, which one do you like the best? and how would you describe your hair and style?

Um. Don't know if that was directed at me or m1sterko, but I guess I'll answer anyway?

My hair's pretty thick and almost in straight. It only gets any wave once it gets really long, so I'm usually dealing with straight hair. The thickness and straight makes it kinda puffy, which is why I constantly have to have my hair thinned out and my sides trimmed. I've used American Crew Fiber Paste (or whatever it's called) and it seemed very serviceable. A bit thick, but just use less. I was really hooked onto Sebastien for a while, but whenever my hair grew out, the clay would just muck it up and make it look super thick and chunky. I used Philip Pelusi stuff for a bit, but that didn't really work out. The Shu Style stuff is still some of the best (if kinda expensive) styling product I've yet to try.

The pink gatsby wax: Gatsby Moving Rubber Spiky Edge Hair Wax

Is not strong enough for me, it holds the spikes but it falls flat pretty fast. Anyone with any stronger suggestions?

On a side note, OsiS+ Mess Up is pretty good, not too strong but it has a nice texture and fairly good hold without being too sticky

Um. Don't know if that was directed at me or m1sterko, but I guess I'll answer anyway?

My hair's pretty thick and almost in straight. It only gets any wave once it gets really long, so I'm usually dealing with straight hair. The thickness and straight makes it kinda puffy, which is why I constantly have to have my hair thinned out and my sides trimmed. I've used American Crew Fiber Paste (or whatever it's called) and it seemed very serviceable. A bit thick, but just use less. I was really hooked onto Sebastien for a while, but whenever my hair grew out, the clay would just muck it up and make it look super thick and chunky. I used Philip Pelusi stuff for a bit, but that didn't really work out. The Shu Style stuff is still some of the best (if kinda expensive) styling product I've yet to try.

my hair is pretty much the same as this and I have been using the American Crew Fiber and have been pretty pleased with it. When i get up the next morning I dont have super oily hair which a lot of other products caused me. It holds pretty well, especially for the amount of times i touch my hair throughout the day. It definitely works better with shorter hair though.

Guest umhaha84

Molding Paste from KMS California is the best I've used so far, and I'm a compulsive hair product buyer,

Molding paste gives good texture enough shine, and good hold not too strong. try'em out

anyone use arimino spice before? the medium hold with a nice firm hold.

its good stuff. its very cream-like, easy to apply and easy to wash out (compared to clays, and waxes like those from gatsby). leaves a matte texture. works better on layered or thinner hair, though, i find.

i have thick and wavy hair. Right now its a little shorter than usual so its not really wavy. I wear my hair in a pomp/part combo type deal. I have usually used gel but dont really like using it as it doesnt look natural and just looks nasty by the end of the day.

can anyone recommend any products that'll keep my hair looking nice and styled without making it look like it has a lot of product in it? Also, i usually work out straight after work and a lot of times the product gets on my forehead and causes break outs. I dont know if a product exists that is skin/sweat friendly, but that would be greatly appreciated.

heres a pic of my hair for reference. Thanks:

2a9u2cw.jpg