Hair Products

Anton

Aveda came out with a whole line of haircare for men, since guys' heads are different from gals' (oilier, thicker hair, etc., usw.) but currently it's only shampoos and shit. If they come out with a hair styling line, I'd give it a look.

Aveda came out with a whole line of haircare for men, since guys' heads are different from gals' (oilier, thicker hair, etc., usw.) but currently it's only shampoos and shit. If they come out with a hair styling line, I'd give it a look.

On there site it shows a clay, pomade, spray pomade and grooming creme but maybe i'm looking at the wronge line.

anyone uses this:

http://www.gatsby.jp/products/catalogue/coloring/img/item_sash01.jpg

i tried it but it doesnt look like the packaging color it claims to. arrgghhh...

Would it be ok if i bleach my hair and apply the color again? Im afraid its gonna make all my hair fucked up and start balding.:(

Although I wouldn't advise excessive and repeated bleaching, especially back to back applications...I seriously doubt that coloring your hair or perm...flat iron...product...whatever will make you start balding.

If that were the case, over half the women in the streets would be wearing wigs considering the shit they do to their hair.

Though...given that, I wouldn't go crazy and start carelessly A-bombing your hair with crap, either.

Although I wouldn't advise excessive and repeated bleaching, especially back to back applications...I seriously doubt that coloring your hair or perm...flat iron...product...whatever will make you start balding.

If that were the case, over half the women in the streets would be wearing wigs considering the shit they do to their hair.

Though...given that, I wouldn't go crazy and start carelessly A-bombing your hair with crap, either.

Someone I knew was refused haircolor at a salon because her hair was too fried and it would've fallen out if she got it colored one more time. Of course it would've grown back, but who wants to be bald if they don't have to?

I'd suggest going to a salon and getting them to do it, unless you're fine taking the risk yourself. Your hair will grow back after awhile if you destroy it.

I think without question, the top shampoo/conditioners in the world are either Kerastase, or Alterna. $30 dollars a bottle, but it's worth every penny. The caviar line by Alterna is Sulfate free and now has seasilk added. Most chemicals in anything you buy outside a salon will dry out/damage hair over time. A hair type specific cut is important as well. Any of you guys with long hair, always comb/ brush from the bottom up, and never tie back w/rubber bands, or bands w/metal on them to avoid damage/breakage. For styling products, I've tried TIGI Bed Head professional products (SALON ONLY!!} lately, and they are top quality.

www.4alterna.com

www.kerastase.com

www.tigihaircare.com

On there site it shows a clay, pomade, spray pomade and grooming creme but maybe i'm looking at the wronge line.

I use Aveda control paste, probably the best hair product I've ever used - matte finish, very pliable in any temperature (I used to use Crew fiber, that stuff froze and was impossible to work in your hair on a cold day), and price is pretty decent around $20.

To be honest it all comes down to the quality of the flat iron you use. Crappy ones will definitely damage your hair. Anything with really good ceramic plates wont mess it up all that much, even over a long period of time.

Lately I've been flat ironing my hair on an almost daily basis and to tell you the truth it hasnt damaged my hair much. Its been about a month. After I iron it, I use this one wax Ive been using for years...I cannot use another, or rather have not found another that works for me...it keeps my hair in place yet keeps it dry looking and is very easy to wash off.

Its really cheap, $4 per little container.

http://www.hairproducts.com/view_product.php?product=STY-SPE118&searchlink=yes&search=WAX&page=3

dont know why its $7 there tho.

Do you all have any recommendations on waxes? I usually straighten it and style it a'la Iori if you know king of fighters.

http://images.animelab.com/gallery/King_of_Fighters/Images/IoriYagami2jpg0.jpg

its not as long tho.

• 2 months later...

^I've used the crazy Jap wax they use at their salons, as well as the Gatsby range, but I don't see them much different to the cheap brands like Scwharzkopf.

Just don't use gel......ever. :P

ive been using a combination of bumble+bumble brilliantine, gatsby green, aveda control paste, and bigsexy hair spray lately. one after the other at the same time, in that order

wax spray sounds like something i HAVE to try

I need a recommendation for a hair product. I have access to Gatsby, Nudy, and Lucido but I don't know what to get. My hair is medium length (1 1/2 - 2inches), gets wavy if my hair is longer, its also not really thin, and is the hair is really easy to control. I usually prefer to use light (non-thick) products but I want to try something new that wont make my hair look flat or slicked back because my hair would kind of curl back. I'm hoping for a look that is slightly wet but still some natural feel to it.

Thanks.

Wow.. that was a long read.

Well, I have a few questions and hopefully you guys can help me out. I have really fine, oily hair (I have to wash it every other day or else it gets really oily and flat). Washing it every other day seems to work okay for now. I have a decent amount of volume but my hair is also very stubborn.

Anyway, I'm wondering how I can get that messy/distressed look and have my hair look matte/dry (I hate that wet gel look). I'm not looking to style it j-pop-ish like most here, I just want a beatle-esque shaggy look. Any suggestions on what kind of wax or product I should use?

Something like a combination of these two maybe:

DBmarkmainz4.jpg

+

226869.jpg

Thanks in advance.

I have really fine, oily hair (I have to wash it every other day or else it gets really oily and flat). Washing it every other day seems to work okay for now. I have a decent amount of volume but my hair is also very stubborn.

Anyway, I'm wondering how I can get that messy/distressed look and have my hair look matte/dry (I hate that wet gel look). I'm not looking to style it j-pop-ish like most here, I just want a beatle-esque shaggy look. Any suggestions on what kind of wax or product I should use? It seems most here prefer gatsby, but most people who prefer gatsby also want to look like a japanese pop star.

226869.jpg

Thanks in advance.

Same as you I have extremely thin hair but according to hair dresser I have volume. To get it looking like that ^^^ (pretty close) I've gone on the no shampoo, no hair prouct thing lots of people are raving about and I works well for me. I only ever wash my hair with water every other day unless it gets filthy or the hairdresser uses their products before and after a haircut.

Believe it or not, first time I went to the hairdresser about a month after giving this a try I got a compliment on how nice my hair felt and was asked what I was using.

Just a warning, it will take a couple of weeks for the oil level in the hair to balance out so it may feel oily at first but that will go away. Never went Neil-from-the-young-ones-flat though.

Same as you I have extremely thin hair but according to hair dresser I have volume. To get it looking like that ^^^ (pretty close) I've gone on the no shampoo, no hair prouct thing lots of people are raving about and I works well for me. I only ever wash my hair with water every other day unless it gets filthy or the hairdresser uses their products before and after a haircut.

Believe it or not, first time I went to the hairdresser about a month after giving this a try I got a compliment on how nice my hair felt and was asked what I was using.

Just a warning, it will take a couple of weeks for the oil level in the hair to balance out so it may feel oily at first but that will go away. Never went Neil-from-the-young-ones-flat though.

So you don't use any shampoo? I may have to try that. Is it soft or still somewhat oily afterwards?

Also, I can get it somewhat like the second picture as well, but it isn't as textured or as messy as I'd like. Certain mornings I wake up and I can't style it the way I want because it's hellbent on staying a certain way, I have very stubborn hair. Thats why I think some sort of wax/fiber might work. I'd really like it to look like a combination of both of the pictures I posted, but it's probably impossible so.. haha.

If you want kind of a dirty gritty look, I would say to just shampoo your hair every other day. Bumble and bumble makes a pretty cool product called Surf Spray, which will make your hair look like you just came from the beach (that salty, gritty, dried look). That product mixed with a light pomade would do the trick. Out of all of the pomades/waxes/gels etc I've ever worked with, Osmos "Shaper" is second to none.

So you don't use any shampoo? I may have to try that. Is it soft or still somewhat oily afterwards?

Also, I can get it somewhat like the second picture as well, but it isn't as textured or as messy as I'd like. Certain mornings I wake up and I can't style it the way I want because it's hellbent on staying a certain way, I have very stubborn hair. Thats why I think some sort of wax/fiber might work. I'd really like it to look like a combination of both of the pictures I posted, but it's probably impossible so.. haha.

Yeah, no shampoo, no conditioner. I haven't done any construction work or anything filthy in months so I haven't had to use it for months. Just water cleans it well enough. My hair doesn't smell to me and I haven't had any complaints.

Edit: After washing it is soft and it doesn't feel dry & light. I doesn't lay down and keep returning to its natural position where you can'y do anything to it and the slifhtest breeze moves it, like after using shampoo. I don't know if people with thicker hair get this but it shits me to tears because you then HAVE to use product or have the hair just fall straight down perfectly smooth around your head.

My hair is more textured than that picture only because it is shorter and been decently layered by the hairdresser. At the state my hair is in at the moment it isn't dry but it doesn't feel oily. I can put it in into almost any rough texture I want and it will stay there. Obviously because there is no product sticking it together, wind will ruin it and I can't get it standing up, pushed back, that sort of thing.

In the past I've tried a couple of things that worked, Kusco-Murphy wax but that's tough to get into my hair because its so thin and MOP pomade but that feels too greasy. I've also tried a kusco-murphy cream but that didn't do much to hold anything in place.

alright, i have super thick, coarse straight hair that i'd like to add some seperation to. at its longest my hair is about 7-8" (frame) and about 3" at its shortest (back). i can go either way as far as the finish goes, i don't mind matte at all. some recs would be appreciated.

http://img252.imageshack.us/img252/5914/23131916whiteq016mb6.jpg

this is the kind of seperation i'm looking for but i have no idea what product to use or how to style it.

thanks yall

If you want kind of a dirty gritty look, I would say to just shampoo your hair every other day. Bumble and bumble makes a pretty cool product called Surf Spray, which will make your hair look like you just came from the beach (that salty, gritty, dried look). That product mixed with a light pomade would do the trick. Out of all of the pomades/waxes/gels etc I've ever worked with, Osmos "Shaper" is second to none.

Yup. A combination of Surf Spray and SumoTech will save your life! All by Bumble & Bumble.

Oh! Don't wash your hair everyday.You will find it easier to style your hair.

i'd get the man-perm

easier to manage.

actually if you're used to treating straight hair you'll have to work a bit harder to maintain a perm since it's a lot easier to damage... i tried it last year and i can definitely say it's harder to manage from my experience, since i have naturally straight hair.

not sure if anyone's interested but a new hair care site just opened for us aussies, w/ free shipping for orders over $30...

• 2 months later...

i have naturally dry and curly hair. i'm afraid to take showers and use shampoos because unless i use a straightener and get bed hair (the next morning) i can't leave the house cause my hair is freakingly hideous. if i use a straightener right after a shower the hair's very dry and if i poke it against my skin i can feel pain. my hair apparently has alot of volume (so i get it thinned every month). just looking for any ideas to get non-dry hair after showers.