Hair Products

Anton

@The_Pomp

Gotta love your reviews man:  The blindbarber and imperial came today.  Gave the blindbarber a try!  Its definitely a strong hold like you said, and i found it interesting how its so soft and creamy but hardens so fast when in your hair, making it kind of hard to style.

I like it, but like you said, i feel like the matte (or maybe just this product) doesn't work that well with a pomp type hair style.  Without the sheen, it makes my hair look like a big blob of black without any type of definition.  Had to end up mixing a bit of the imperial in for some shine

gonna try out the imperial tomorrow!

@The_Pomp

Gotta love your reviews man:  The blindbarber and imperial came today.  Gave the blindbarber a try!  Its definitely a strong hold like you said, and i found it interesting how its so soft and creamy but hardens so fast when in your hair, making it kind of hard to style.

I like it, but like you said, i feel like the matte (or maybe just this product) doesn't work that well with a pomp type hair style.  Without the sheen, it makes my hair look like a big blob of black without any type of definition.  Had to end up mixing a bit of the imperial in for some shine

gonna try out the imperial tomorrow!

You should have a much better experience with Imperial.

• 3 weeks later...

I've tried the hard water and soft water pomades from Baxter and while I like them, they seem a bit too shiny for my taste. The hold is good, not too firm or gel like and it washes out with ease. For reference, I have somewhat dry, slightly curly hair and I was looking for something to give some hold (keep down frizz) but nice enough to run my fingers through my hair and not feel like I had product in it. At the end, Baxter's products weren't really for me. The only one I tried that I kind of liked was the clay pomade, it was more matte and a little went a long way.

My favorite product I've ever tried however is this stuff:

AesopVioletLeafHairBalm_cb-582x436.jpg

Best product I've ever used. I can't go a day without it. It holds nice, feels natural, it does not feel greasy even though it has the texture of hand lotion and it smells quite nice. 

regarding baxter, your observation of the clay pomade is accurate and does have a nice hold with all day staying power. makes the hair very malleable, allowing you to shape and sculpt at your heart's content. downside is that it doesn't wash out that easily, although it's certainly not as bad as wax. i personally like the product a lot for the purpose of holding and leaving a natural (matte) finish. i do not recommend using it on your whole head of hair, however. for myself i would use a small amount, rub the pomade thoroughly until it's thinned out on my palms and fingertips, and then start clumping hair from root to tip; usually only the front and back top to hold in place. i would recommend supplementing this and covering the other areas with a creamier pomade/balm of sorts instead -- the aesop one would be great for this purpose. 

i also own the aesop balm but cant say im in love with it. i love the brand (i own many of their facial/bath products, which are amazing btw) but i dont think they hit the mark with this product. there isn't even really any hold that it provides. what it does is give minimal texture and soften the hair. in fact, this feels more like a leave-in conditioner to be accurate.

understanding everyone has different hair types and specific looks they want to achieve, my recommendation for a "daily driver" pomade would be the kérastase capital force paste. it is similar in weight and feel when compared to aesop but has a much better, sustaining hold. also washes out very easily with no buildup leftover.

kerastase_homme_capital_force_paste_LRG.

for context, i have a thinning front crown and a receding hairline that makes me look like an ugly jude law. to me at least, the kérastase paste along with their densifying shampoo are like the jordan and pippen of the hair game. shit makes magic on my head not even frontin. 

Edited by deafmetal

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

im currently using KMS hairplay cream pommade, but i find it doesnt hold my hair right, i have mid-long hair, really thin and flat.
i part it on the middle-side like 3/4, anything you guys can recommend ? i kinda push my front hair in the back a bit, and i want them to hold in place. cause everytime there a little wind or something , my hair get messed up and no time. need that holdd

should i go with some wax instand ? any products ?

i kinda really like that dude hair from iceage and want something similar.

tumblr_n3zav9ivpk1tuwncco1_500.jpg

dunno if he use any light pommade or anything lolz, just want a more good shape, and hold on certain place, as my hair are really thin.

Edited by aymerikmd

im currently using KMS hairplay cream pommade, but i find it doesnt hold my hair right, i have mid-long hair, really thin and flat.

i part it on the middle-side like 3/4, anything you guys can recommend ? i kinda push my front hair in the back a bit, and i want them to hold in place. cause everytime there a little wind or something , my hair get messed up and no time. need that holdd

should i go with some wax instand ? any products ?

i kinda really like that dude hair from iceage and want something similar.

tumblr_n3zav9ivpk1tuwncco1_500.jpg

dunno if he use any light pommade or anything lolz, just want a more good shape, and hold on certain place, as my hair are really thin.

put on some conditioner before you blow dry your hair. B&B texture is a really great for my hair. I think KMS hair play or Glynt Volume should do the same

put on some conditioner before you blow dry your hair. B&B texture is a really great for my hair. I think KMS hair play or Glynt Volume should do the same

for real ? i dont really use conditioner as it make my hair really puffy and weird.

B&B texture a paste compared to other spray-on conditioner. you work into into your hair and it gives some kind of a rough feeling and a nice "fuller" grip. It provides a lot of hold even for thin hair and in this case, I use wax just for the finish and not for the hold.

\

for context, i have a thinning front crown and a receding hairline that makes me look like an ugly jude law. to me at least, the kérastase paste along with their densifying shampoo are like the jordan and pippen of the hair game. shit makes magic on my head not even frontin. 

Read some reviews on amazon about the karastese and dude mentioned its the same ingredients as

L'oreal LOreal Studio Line Overworked Hair Putty @ $4.00 . Trying a container for gym bag will report back.

Edited by EG562

Read some reviews on amazon about the karastese and dude mentioned its the same ingredients as

L'oreal LOreal Studio Line Overworked Hair Putty @ $4.00 . Trying a container for gym bag will report back.

Interesting. I've used the L'oreal a bit before. Nothing amazing, but its cheap and easily available at most drug stores and gets the job done.

Been using Baxter's Clay Pomade recently. I like it and it smells great. Really malleable and easy to rework once its in. Doesn't fell crusty or stiff at all. Not as strong of a hold, but I like the more natural feel. I like a little bit of shine, but this stuff is very matte.

Im gonna buy Sumotech for my quiff hairstyle, it will be good choice? Maybe smth better? I want to have my hairstyle for all day, not for only a few hours after using it, u know.

Edited by supper

Interesting. I've used the L'oreal a bit before. Nothing amazing, but its cheap and easily available at most drug stores and gets the job done.

Been using Baxter's Clay Pomade recently. I like it and it smells great. Really malleable and easy to rework once its in. Doesn't fell crusty or stiff at all. Not as strong of a hold, but I like the more natural feel. I like a little bit of shine, but this stuff is very matte.

Ive used the clay pomade, its best used w/ the hard water pomade to get hold / matte shine 

Im gonna buy Sumotech for my quiff hairstyle, it will be good choice? Maybe smth better? I want to have my hairstyle for all day, not for only a few hours after using it, u know.

sumotech is a light wax and provide only a bit of hold. if you precondition your hair and if you use your blow dryer with a proper technique it could work. I use it only with short hair cuts.

• 2 weeks later...

everyone ever tried american crew products ?

like fiber or the grooming cream ?

Yeah, I really like their forming cream. it has good hold without getting crusty/dry like other water-soluble pomades. it's weird though, a new can is really different than when it's almost empty. It's like it starts to dry out and become a lot thicker toward the end, making it a bit more difficult to apply to longer hair

everyone ever tried american crew products ?

like fiber or the grooming cream ?

I have both fiber and grooming cream and they're both pretty different products. Fiber gives you more of a light and airy feel when in your hair and is much more comfortable to run your hand through during the day. It gives a matte look and tends, for me, to work best when applied to damp hair and blowdried afterward. The grooming cream will give you high hold and a high shine but will be a bit different feeling during the day. Firstly, it won't harden as much as the fiber but will remain fairly wet. Good for a slicked look and you can even blowdry with it for a lighter kind of hold. I like both quite a bit but they are different products. If you want one that will hold your hair down very nicely and has a wetter sheen, get the grooming cream. If you want one that gives a light look to the hair and adds volume, grab the fiber. As a side note, they both smell good.

Hope this helped a little.

Imperial Gel Pomade really doesn't work for my thick unruly hair. It's a bad product for me really.. just makes my hair thin out too much and spider leg.. shame

• 2 weeks later...

Got the american crew grooming cream, pretty good, hold the hair but super hard to wash off the hair, if i dont do a shampoo and just rinse a bit, it stay in the hair like crazy. otherwise i like the product, a good shine, not too much and great hold.

Wasnt too impressed with that loreal 4$ stuff. ok for gym bag i guess. 

Been switching between Layrite super hold and B&B Sumotech

I use the B&B if I want a softer hold and easier to put on. If I want a softer hold with volume I'd probably it on with my hair still wet or damp. Can't work with Layrite...

Anything softer than Sumotech in terms of hold / volume with the same supple touch? I am curious whether there is something with the similar consistency as Sumotech in terms of form/composition with the simpler ingredients like Layrite. 

I feel Sumotech is sort of junk in my hair in terms of damaging my already thin hair whereas Layrite seems healthier and water-soluble.