Hair Products

Anton

IpK1.jpeg

I use layrite super holld and sometimes a blow dryer.

Right now, I'm trying to get rid of the part in my. I've been doing it so long my hair naturally has a very strong side part without any product or whatever. Even my bed head has a strong part. Any advice? It's grown out quite a bit, this picture was taken on 9/25.

^ man, i'm sorry but that cut looks so forced. everyone seems to be persisting with it, regardless of head shape / hairline / whatever. i think something a little more relaxed, less contrived, with longer sides will be doing you more favours. c0le posted something back a page that is similar but steezy, relatively speaking.

and you're trying to get rid of that part but your hair pretty much ends there and you're combing over?

Edited by home

I wanted to share the experience I had with the products I recently purchased (all recommendations from this thread ). My hair is coarse and straight with no natural texture unless I add product into it. I've been growing out to top of my hair the past few months (around 4 in) and keeping the sides short so I'm not sure how these products would react with shorter hair.

Davines Sea Salt Spray

21%2BkUTz0qVL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

9/10. I was hesitant that sea salt spray would work for me but its amazing. Pricey, but it gives me the separation and texture on my hair I never had before. I can actually make individual pieces of my hair slightly wavy! (did not think this was possible with my hair type). Matt finish and it also provides volume and a bit of hold for a more natural look. Spray on dry or damp hair and crunch till your hair dries.

Hairbond moulder

moulder_2_.jpg

9/10

I tried so many hair waxes over the years. Products range from gatsby pink, purple, brown (djflame suggestion) to sumotech, sumowax, american crew, bedhead, redken, sebastian, and davines. This is the best wax I've used by far. If I were to compare this wax to other waxes and create a stupid analogy it would be to goldilock and the three bears. Other waxes would be too soft/light, too heavy, too sticky, or frustrating to wash out. This is just right. Relatively cheap, light, matte, easy to wash out, and a good hold. Also gives tons of separation. If you want more of the wispy look its easy to achieve if you mess around and twist it.

*Side note. I use the moulder in combination with the seat salt spray to make it more cropped and controlled. Holy Shit Steeze. 18/10

Bedhead Hard Head

tigi-bed-head-hard-head-hair-spray-278x278.jpg

8.5/10. Another pricey product when compared to drugstore hairsprays like tresemme. Tresemme is shit. It's true. You get what you pay for and it's the best hairspray I've used so far. Talk about hold, cotdamn. One layer of this is sickening (in a good way). Unbelievable hold. I'm a bit anal with my hair and I do like to mess around with my hair throughout the day. One caveat is that it is very difficult to mess around with the individual pieces of your hair after you use this. If you mess around with it too much you could lose the style. But if I absolutely have to maintain a certain look I'd use this to finish it off.

Edited by on-display

• 2 weeks later...

IpK1.jpeg

I use layrite super holld and sometimes a blow dryer.

Right now, I'm trying to get rid of the part in my. I've been doing it so long my hair naturally has a very strong side part without any product or whatever. Even my bed head has a strong part. Any advice? It's grown out quite a bit, this picture was taken on 9/25.

I dunno what people are talking about but man thats a sick cut. So you just use the layrite and thats it? Would gel or wax be able to hold as well as your product? And not sure if you know this but be careful with blowdrying your hair. You can think your hair or cause hair loss.

Also, do you get a specific cut from your barber?

Bedhead Hard Head

Unbelievable hold. I'm a bit anal with my hair and I do like to mess around with my hair throughout the day. One caveat is that it is very difficult to mess around with the individual pieces of your hair after you use this. If you mess around with it too much you could lose the style. But if I absolutely have to maintain a certain look I'd use this to finish it off.

if you hold the can further away and apply 1 or 2 general layers to your entire head it looks more natural and un-forced, and will probably be better for your daily about-town hair. The hold will be slightly less, but I'll just touch up throughout the day.

remember less is more :)

Edited by DJ_Flame

Okay here's what my hair looks like now: http://instagram.com/p/RY8A0jFuty/

I want it like this: http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_6ljkpo3Nri0/TD7SamgmN4I/AAAAAAAAAUU/7jBQxVvQXyU/s1600/christianbale0108.jpg

How would I acheive this? Cut/best product/how to grow it? Any suggestions/tips? thanks. Sorry I couldn't embed the pics, wouldn't seem to work right

I feel like when in doubt, grow it out. Then of course take the pic in to your salon/barbershop.

of course to get your hair to that length it will probably look incredibly awkward for a while until you get it cut.

Edited by Ecotrons

Haha pretty basic advice, but right. I'm definitely not looking forward to the awkward stage. I'll prolly end up slicking down the side and back with wax until it's a good length. Should I get my hair trimmed now, considering its like 5 inches on top but like one on the sides? Idk.

• 3 weeks later...

Hmm I was going to say sea salt spray, but thats better for tousled styles.

Grooming creme/mousse on slightly damp hair, then blow dry and brush into shape may thicken it.

But imo your hair's fine...no need to go thru the trouble.

edit:

if you can stomach it, try shampooing less regularly.

Edited by DJ_Flame

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone else used Hairbond Moulder, particularly with asian hair? It's really cheap but I already have a drawer full of damn hair products I don't use...

being a fellow asian, i hate that product. first of all it's not much hold for smooth floppy asian hair, and it's hard to wash off.. they don't hold in heat as well..

anyway, does anyone have any info on petroleum based pomade? water based are all too weak for me, or too strong.. or too shiny... i tried petroleum once and it was perfect, but was scared when it took me 3 days to wash it totally off!! my biggest fear in life.... is to be bald..... so does anyone have any info or experience as to hairloss with petroleum based pomades?

being a fellow asian, i hate that product. first of all it's not much hold for smooth floppy asian hair, and it's hard to wash off.. they don't hold in heat as well..

I'm the opposite, you just need to use a bit of hairspray...

i find that for asian hair, if you really want hold, use gel/pomade + blowdryer + hairbrush.

anyway, does anyone have any info on petroleum based pomade? water based are all too weak for me, or too strong.. or too shiny... i tried petroleum once and it was perfect, but was scared when it took me 3 days to wash it totally off!! my biggest fear in life.... is to be bald..... so does anyone have any info or experience as to hairloss with petroleum based pomades?

all i can say from the toxicological background, petroleum is not the nicest agent and will work on the roots and the skin in a negative way (allergy, decreased reproduction of the hair and so on). If you have the possibility to bypass it, do it.

I'm the opposite, you just need to use a bit of hairspray...

i find that for asian hair, if you really want hold, use gel/pomade + blowdryer + hairbrush.

yeah that's what i use, pomade, but now water soluble ones are too ... over everything. need a product that won't make me go bald, have the right amount of light shine, and hold...

all i can say from the toxicological background, petroleum is not the nicest agent and will work on the roots and the skin in a negative way (allergy, decreased reproduction of the hair and so on). If you have the possibility to bypass it, do it.

say, if i were to use petroleum pomade on my hair, and not let it touch my scalp, will that be of any help?

shit. i've been using murrays for god knows how long. haven't touched the superior for a while now, but still use the light most days. water based pomades just doesn't get that nice soft greasy look.

true that.. and that's what i want to have!! not some tightly packed helmet head

fuck you guys got me all paranoid now, especially since most of the time I just rinse my hair with water so there's probably still some product in. Is hair wax really that bad for your hair? I don't want to be fucking bald...Even shit like American Crew and these Japanese waxes that supposedly nourish your hair while they're in?

two waxes I use right now say, "The combination of Cupuuasu Seed and Aqua Oil provide nourishment to the hair" and "henna extracts containing henna extract (55mg) contained in the coating effect to block UV rays and protect the color maintains healthy hair shows."

fuck you guys got me all paranoid now, especially since most of the time I just rinse my hair with water so there's probably still some product in. Is hair wax really that bad for your hair? I don't want to be fucking bald...Even shit like American Crew and these Japanese waxes that supposedly nourish your hair while they're in?

two waxes I use right now say, "The combination of Cupuuasu Seed and Aqua Oil provide nourishment to the hair" and "henna extracts containing henna extract (55mg) contained in the coating effect to block UV rays and protect the color maintains healthy hair shows."

well i guess anything with petroleum fucks up your scalp... but it'll be not as bad if it doesn't touch your scalp, but stuff like gatsby and shit still has a little petroleum or silicone in them.. and stops your hair from breathing, thus making it thin and weak ... and frail... and breakable... idk man i am paranoid as fuck as well when it comes to my bed of hair.....

• 2 weeks later...

What non-petroleum based product would you recommend to use on thick/hard asian hair to just mess my hair up a bit to get that out of bed/scruffy look. Been using gatsby wax but it wears off in the middle of the day. Is the TIGI bed head spray any good?

Edited by Lowk

^ In response to the above, and for those which hairbond moulder doesn't work out, try out this:

ture-hard-170.JPG

Used this before I switched to moulder. It's basically a traditional hard wax, I only switched b/c moulder is cheaper. My hairstylist always use this for quiffs, parts etc. Works well imo. Its also excellent for messy/tousled looks.

If any of you guys really want to try and don't have access I can proxy?

Lowk: Hairspray works best as a finisher (to hold the shape in place) or to provide a little bit more volume (hold up the roots)...if you use on its own sometimes you end up with weird looking spider-legs hair. Your call.

Edited by DJ_Flame

• 5 weeks later...