Hair Products

Anton

looking for recs on some kind of product. currently use murray's (i'm white tho). keep it slicked back most of the time. need something between juicy and dry. preferably something that builds up, so that by day 3, i dont need to put anymore in.

any knowledge will be appreciated.

I'm also pretty cheap in this regard.

looking for recs on some kind of product. currently use murray's (i'm white tho). keep it slicked back most of the time. need something between juicy and dry. preferably something that builds up, so that by day 3, i dont need to put anymore in.

any knowledge will be appreciated.

I'm also pretty cheap in this regard.

Wave & groove by Dax. Usually ebony barber shops stock it for about $3-5. Similar to Murrarys just not as intense, smells better, depending on your hair you might need to put a tad more by 3rd day.

Sweet Georgia Brown (Blue can) Usually $7-10. Super strong, so it is good if you want to leave it in, for a few days. Smells good.

Not sure what you mean by dry and juicy, if your talking about the "shine" it's matte finish on both products. If you want a shine, add a top coat of some shiner.

Love this stuff. I have pretty thin hair so I can't wear anything too heavy. My barber used it once and I was hooked. Plus since it is water soluble it won't fuck up the inside of my motorcycle helmet... note probably not a good product for the vegans among us.

booster-cream.jpg

looking for something to maintain a style such as the following...my hair is only down to my eyebrows now and still has a ways to go to make it hold easily...I've been using layrite to keep it in place, but my girl thinks it smells and its got that sheen to it that leaves me feeling greasy. Any ideas?

http://stylefrizz.com/img/joseph-gordon-levitt-gq-magazine-december-2009.jpg

I keep mentioning it, but baxter clay pomade is awesome. Around 20 up here in canada. Small jar but lasts months. My hair is sort of like that; it's longer and more tousled on the top, and short on the sides. I used a bunch of different ones before, but baxter is the only one that keeps it where I want it without having flyaways and the style falling apart by the end of day while staying completely matte.

blowdry + round brush > baxter > touch of hairspray.

It smells earthy and spicy, with a bit of sweetness and anise.

• 5 months later...

DEUXER is great, most Japanese salon use them. I'm using number 4 to 6. 4 is mainly for medium to long hair, 5 is almost multi-purpose, 6 is mainly for short hair but personally use it with 4 as a base to style the shape better because it hold strong to the root.

• 2 months later...

finally ran out of pomade

http://suavecitopomade.com/ this lasted me like almost a year?

want to try something new and i am reaching for the american crew pomade because it is readily accessible atm. thought about picking up the baxter clay pomade but not liking the clay aspect. cannot find reviews on the water pomade and cream either...

any recs dudes? been going to the office without any product or using small amounts of my brothers axe pomade... =\

helpz pls

^^ The general impression I've gotten from Baxter of California stuff is that they're pretty nice but kind of overpriced too. I don't own any of their styling products but I do have a comb and I like it. I'd try to find something else for cheaper, though. I think with any kind of product it's best to do the research for what will fit best with the kind of hair you have.

Straight thick asian hair like everyone else on this forum (5)

Seriously though I haven't found one that I really am in love with like a lot of members. the search continues

Just used a "dime sized" amount of the axe "whatever" product and worked it in my hands then ran it through hair. not going to lie it felt really nice and got my hair standing up.

Edited by gettoasty

you tried layrite superhold, gettoasty? it is still the best pomade on the (western) market by a mile. i've probably tried about 7 types (don't slick my hair anymore though) and american crew was the worst one i ever used.

Edited by conqueror

Using axe paste atm and liking the texture in hand and when working through hair.

Thought about ordering layrite superhold but want something a bit more pliable. Went ahead and just put in an order for the baxter clay pomade

Does the layrite really crust or it depends on the humidity and hair type? from california fwiw

Using axe paste atm and liking the texture in hand and when working through hair.

Thought about ordering layrite superhold but want something a bit more pliable. Went ahead and just put in an order for the baxter clay pomade

Does the layrite really crust or it depends on the humidity and hair type? from california fwiw

I've used Layrite superhold and never had any problems with crusting.

From Singapore so that's pretty much as humid as you can get.

I've used various off-the-shelf Japanese hair products and Gatsby Wild Shake (the purple one) is still my favorite, way better than all the other ones they make. Just about an almond-size amount on your fingertip is plenty, it's very flexible and works for different hair lengths, and is easy to wash out (unless you use way too much.)

• 3 weeks later...

you tried layrite superhold, gettoasty? it is still the best pomade on the (western) market by a mile. i've probably tried about 7 types (don't slick my hair anymore though) and american crew was the worst one i ever used.

layrite is awesome...i tried some for the first time on my last haircut, would have bought a jar but they were sold out.

aveda grooming clay is really good too, thats what i use now

opinions on Arimino Spice? particularly their super fix/neo wax

I've used Arimino Peace. the stuff comes in a huge cube and lasts FOREVER. it will probably last you an entire year, you barely need to apply any at all. it has pretty good hold, relatively matte (depends on how much and whether your hair is wet when applied. wet = shiny dry = matte), lasts forever, and smell isn't very strong (you decide whether that's good or not). has to be washed off with shampoo.

Edited by Ecotrons

• 2 weeks later...

What can I use in addition to sebastian craft clay on thick, asian hair? Trying to get my fringe up and off my face and a slight part to one side. Currently only using hair dryer plus the sebastian clay and it doesn't last long. I've been thinking about the american crew boost cream first and after that dries apply the sebastian clay. Thoughts and help?