Pride FC and MMA

Haz

i think we can all agree that pride's hw division is leaps and bounds ahead of ufc's.

you think silva doesnt have a reasonable chance of beating liddell? shogun? let's not forget what happened to liddell when he came to pride and jackson handed his ass to him(although liddell has gotten much better).

i do agree that ufc has it in the 170 range, but how many [notable] pride fighers are 170? while ufc's lw division is superior to that of pride, i think gomi is still one of the best(if no the best) in that weight class.

i admit i exaggerated when i said that pride's middle tier fighters can beat the best in the ufc, and i wish there was a universal weight division system because sometimes it's hard to compare fighters(like diaz and gomi where there is such a huge difference even among fighters in one organization's lw division).

Naw, the Ferittatas didn't buy Pride. But they are going to start doing some more cross promotion I believe. Shogun just signed a new contract giving him 4 fights, 2 in Pride and 2 in the UFC, so we might get to see him fight Liddell :D . Plus CroCop using the Pride theme song as his entracemusic... I think we know where his loyalties are. Should be an amazing year for MMA!

I dont think it has much to do with loyalties. More so to do with contractual obligations. Thats why there were no clips when they were hyping him up at the UFC even before his first fight.

In other news: http://www.mmahq.com/2007/03/22/diego-sanchez-test-positive-for-mirijuana/

Looks like you might be wrong about it being sold:

http://www.sherdog.com/news/news.asp?n_id=7048

PRIDE CEO Nobuyuki Sakakibara informed staff inside the Japanese promoter's Los Angeles office Wednesday that he was stepping down as part of an agreement to sell the company to Lorenzo and Frank Fertitta, who own the UFC.

• 2 weeks later...

i have mixed feelings about this deal

on the one hand im glad that pride's imo far superior roster will be able to benefit from the steadily rising popularity of ufc stateside (due in large part to "ultimate fighter")

but on the other i much much prefer pride's rules as well, and i feel as though any roster crossovers will likely be fought in that silly octagon w/o heel kicks from guard, knees from side guard, or stomps and the rest of ufc's restrictions

but i guess tbh stomps are pretty fucking dangerous

Pride fights will still be on seperate cards and billed as Pride FC.

Rules are not changing AFAIK - for pride, yellow cards are still in, elbows are still out. Not going to be in the octagon either.

Allowing elbows is IMO, the dumbest rule of UFC. Too many cut stoppages from random elbows. Take em out. I wish that they would instate the yellow card rule from Pride into UFC. Sanchez/Kos would have had to pay out there pockets from all the yellow cards for that snoozer of a "fight."

The rules are changing. Pride will adopt UFC rules. There will be no other changes though, besides the fact there will be a lot more UFC guys going to Pride and vice-a-versa. There havent been that many stoppages due to cuts. I cant even remember the last one.

I dont see rampage beating Liddell these days, but this has been the year of WTF. With that said Lindland is going to tap Fedor via figure four leg lock. You wait and see.

Hahaha, i wasnt being serious. But in a way I am. There have been so many matches this year with outcomes that were the complete opposite of what could logically be expected. If Lindland doesnt win by FFLL or something equally ridiculous I'll be surprised.

• 2 weeks later...

A single kick to the head doesnt qualify UFC as being greater than pride. They are both great orginizations with great fighters. This is how MMA works. Its not like football where one stacked team is a sure fire bet against the other. Crocop just didnt train hard enough, and had no idea what to do on the ground against the cage. The dumbass doesnt even train in a cage. He probably didnt expect Napo (why is named Gonzales in the video its Gonzaga, he isnt mexican) to throw any head kicks. I sure as hell didnt.

I do think the average UFC fighter is much more aggressive than the average Pride fighter. Im interested to see if he has any injuries to that leg he landed on.

so im watching the fight, yelling at the tv, why is the ref standing them up, you just saved crocop; wrong. id never seen gonzaga fight before i thought he was gonna get dominated, brutal finish.

Gonzaga is severely underated and Crocop, as a UFC competitor, is slightly overated. He's a world class fighter, this much is clear, but the guy refuses to train in a cage. Gonzaga put him against it and pounded him. Maybe he'll work on it for his next fight?

"I got what I deserved after a performance like this, that seems to be the cross I'm carrying. I fall down every once and a while and I don't know why. I've been through two times of crisis. Against Kevin Randleman, I came back; against fedor Emelienanko; I came back. I'll come back after this. It's part of my career."

CroCop on the Gonzaga loss. He also said that plans on doing the other 4 fights on his contract.