Pride FC and MMA

Haz

• 2 weeks later...

wow, jds won and dana wants to hang himself. jds vs. overeem is going to be dope - IF jds wins (which i doubt) he will have basically beaten every currently relevant fighter in the division.

edit: apparently a du on the fox AV team said that "dana was vocally murdering the ref for ending the fight too soon."

Edited by conqueror

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

you can unbunch your panties, because there is really little comparison between your situation and bj's - you are simply staying with your parents rent-free, whereas bj has/had millionaire parents his entire life. therefore, he had all of his bjj training paid for at the best possible camps with the best possible trainers, the best physio's, flights to brazil and anything else he wanted. this was all before he became a superstar and was making millions of dollars himself. i am presuming your parents will not be able to afford that, and if you want to train at the best gyms, go to brazil etc you will have to work your ass off and do it yourself. bj had the fortunate freedom to overtake alot of these barriers and devote his entire life to bjj, and then mma, without a worry in the world - money was not a concern. some have actually speculated (inc rogan from memory) that this is why he wasn't always 'hungry' when he fought, or simply gave up at times - he didn't really HAVE to do it to survive and was burnt out. someone who came from absolutely nothing (i.e. koscheck, who i don't like) was fucking hungry at the beginning because if he lost, he wouldn't be paid and would have to back to working at a factory or whatever he was doing - no money, no roof over your head. it was make or break, and for bj it wasn't.

Old post but what you're saying is on point and is probably even be generous.

I'm pretty sure I read in BJ's autobiography a couple years back that he was FORCED to go train BJJ by his parents.

His neighbor in Hawaii at the time knew a little about BJJ and trained him a bit, telling his parents he had aptitude. His parents sent him out of Hawaii to train with Cesar Gracie in middle-of-no-where CA because all he was doing was being a punk with his crew and picking fights with the locals and getting drunk all the time.

It was at that point when he had nothing to do besides train since all his friends were back home that he realized that he wasn't just some kid with talent, but that he was amazing and started focusing, training hard, and dominating BJJ competitions. The rest is history as has been discussed...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 10 months later...