Pride FC and MMA

Haz

I find those who continue to support GSP, regardless of outcome, without making excuses, are those who have been following him from his pre-UFC days or at least his first UFC fights.

Those are the people who have witnessed his skill-set and ability from the very beginning, and realize that though he may becoming a more refined and smarter fighter (which translates to safer), he is still an enormous and rare talent that is only doing what's best for him and his legacy. Don't crucify me for this analogy, but it's like hating MJ because in his older age, he adopts the strategy to play off the post and shoot jump shots instead of driving in and dunking, simply because it's safer and more efficient. The thing is, GSP is fighting "safer", but is still winning fights and just defended his belt for the 6th time in a row.

Also, Hominick got heart, but no way in hell was Jose going to lose that fight. Aldo was literally flat footed in the pocket slipping, bobbing, and weaving all the while throwing power counter punches. Even on the ground you could tell he was tired and content with getting hit instead of standing back up.

i dont think the gsp fight wouldnt have gone the distance if he hadnt have injured his eye. the first two rounds he dominated it and even joe said that shields looked bewildered. however, after that he did become ever more predictable in his striking etc as the fight developed. that over hand right made him look like an amateur, and i think shields was able to counter more easily. he still was too much for anything that shields could bring, which in itself shows his level of ability.

^ Lorenzo tweet: "GSP vs. Silva or GSP vs. Diaz?"

Both preferably, but it seems as if GSP vs Diaz seems more likely after reading Lorenzo Fertitta's response.

Diaz has got such bad takedown defense, I could see GSP winning via lay n pray, but Diaz's jiu jitsu is pretty fucking awesome, so a sub off the back isn't too unlikely.

Unlike Shields, Diaz's striking game is great, and it would be awesome to see it match up against GSP's.

Hard to criticize a decision when he couldn't see out of one eye at all. I was really wondering about the ethics of a fighter telling you "I can't see out of my left eye" (detached retina? what?) and telling him he's still got one and suck it the fuck up (not in that particular phrasing).

Probably why I'm not a pro fighter or trainer.

just the opposite i think. i'd love to go out on the other end of some steven segal shit. that's just me i guess.

shields/gsp was a bit of a yawn. gsp v.s diaz would be impressive, but echoing what someone said earlier, i think gsp would just grind out an uninspiring victory. i think i've given up on seeing silva face gsp.

aldo/hominick was incredible. i was wincing every time i looked at that giant hematoma on hominick's forehead.

as someone who practices bjj, garza's flying triangle was impressive. his legs are so thin i thought jabouin would of snapped them in half with those heavy leg kicks. equally impressed with jason mcdonald's finish.

i totally agree though, great event overall. extremely excited for the stacked card at ufc 130.

Hard to criticize a decision when he couldn't see out of one eye at all. I was really wondering about the ethics of a fighter telling you "I can't see out of my left eye" (detached retina? what?) and telling him he's still got one and suck it the fuck up (not in that particular phrasing).

Probably why I'm not a pro fighter or trainer.

the other option is forfeiting and i'm sure gsp wasn't ready to lose his belt on the off chance he did some serious damage to his eye. just speculating though.

Oh for sure. Though GSP may have been panicking a tad bit at the time, you know he would have regretted it and felt 10x worse had herb dean or the doctor ended the fight to an otherwise given win.

Whether GSP fights Silva or Diaz, I strongly believe that he should incorporate more head movement into his game. He already has good movement as of now, but when you compare it to Aldo's minimal yet effective head-movement in the pocket + power counter punches, you can't help see a lacking in GSP's.

Speaking of which, he's seemed to adopt a more conservative approach to striking. Watching last night's fight, I can't remember him throwing a single combinations aside from the occasional jab to overhand right. More times than not, GSP settles for one-and-done, e.g. Dong Hyun Kim. The last time I saw him throw an effective combination was maybe against Hieron and Hughes II. The ability to bob and weave in the pocket + throw combinations, rather than jabbing and jumping back, would significantly increase his chances of stunning a Nick Diaz or Anderson.

I feel GSP is adopting the "hit and don't get hit" philosophy to an extreme, limiting his own offense. A fighter like Dominick Cruz abides by the same idea, but still is able to throw 3-4 punch combinations simultaneously.

Discuss...

This fight was the only time I really thought GSP could have done better.

His lack of combinations was a bit deceiving since he did have the advantage.

His damaged eye could have been the cause tho, since the end of the first round was heating up.

Not going to lie, I have the same approach when it comes to striking. I would rather punch less if that means for me to not get hit. I do jump on opportunities when they show up tho. Something he didn't/couldn't do.

earlier in the day they showed the first GSP/ BJPenn fight where GSP got poked or hit in the eye and started bleeding. It seemed to really throw GSP off his game and it gave BJ his best fight / opportunity to beat GSP although GSP won with a split decision, his face took most of the beating. Seems like the best way to beat GSP is with eye pokes/gouges and blind him :P

• 2 weeks later...

Olympic caliber actually. He's been in the game for well over 5-6 years now, surprised you never came across him.

The guy is built like a tank and it shows. Friend told me he used to train like a beast at Paulson's, rag dolling even the new guys that trained there. Apparently he got into a dispute with Josh Barnett and he got the boot. If there's any reason why he's not in the UFC right now, I'd say it's probably indirect bad relations or they simply don't like his demeanor. But that's all speculation.

He was already signed by the UFC but couldnt get a visa to leave Cuba. I think it was for UFC 78 against Karo?

Also yeah he's known for being an asshole in training and going 100% when nobody else is.

• 3 weeks later...

^ you know what im gonna over-hype this fight in my head. its gonna an epic back-and-forth like diaz vs gomi was. i still think diaz takes this

^ you know what im gonna over-hype this fight in my head. its gonna an epic back-and-forth like diaz vs gomi was. i still think diaz takes this

Yeah just like the other 3 times Diaz fought wrestlers with a dominant top game.

Oh wait.