Anime / Manga

englandmj7

great great great series... gives me fuzzy memories of watching adult swim in the summer of 03...

gotta see the pillows live... do they have any other albums besides the OST for FLCL?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Pillows_discography

sadly, they all start sounding the same after a while...

This title alone has kept Gainax relevant as an anime studio in the last 10 years. Saw Pillows at Pianos in NYC 2 years ago. Awesome live band. They're playing Knitting Factory later this year.

But yea, the style and art is incredible. Storytelling broke down at the end in typical Gainax fashion, but damn what a ride.

they dont seem to be on the knitting factory calendar yet...they played there last year but where did you hear about them playing there this year?

i said it in the anime thread but if you like FLCL, you might like Aim for the Top 2: Die Buster, same director..

Loved FLCL .. I'll have to look into this. Is it as short a series though?

I really wish FLCL had a bit more episodes, but maybe the fact that it leaves you wanting more is one of the many great things about it.

For anyone who hasn't seen Paprika yet, you should check it out! Visually fascinating and an interesting concept. A definite mind-fuck.

I second Lucky Star, and I'm also currently loving Hayate no Gotoku.

And I really, really want to see Tekkonkinkreet.

Anyone likes to read mangas by author Ai Yazawa? I like Nana, Gokinjo Monogatari and Paradise Kiss a lot, I think some of them were translated in english. If you don't like girly stuff stay away though, the sugar content will make you violently ill. I'm at Nana volume 15 right now and, although the story seems to be stalling, it still pikes my interest. By the way is the TV series any good and which books does it cover?

For anyone who hasn't seen Paprika yet, you should check it out! Visually fascinating and an interesting concept. A definite mind-fuck.

I dunno about this. Saw it a couple of weeks ago and I find that it treads the same man/machine interface, "what is reality?", cyber fiction that's already been done to death in most animes. This was new ground back in Perfect Blue days, but now it's just tiring.

The Nana anime is actually pretty good. I haven't read the manga but right now they're on the part where BlaST is about to make thier debut and there's a controversy over Nana's relationship with Ren.

I dunno about this. Saw it a couple of weeks ago and I find that it treads the same man/machine interface, "what is reality?", cyber fiction that's already been done to death in most animes. This was new ground back in Perfect Blue days, but now it's just tiring.

The Nana anime is actually pretty good. I haven't read the manga but right now they're on the part where BlaST is about to make thier debut and there's a controversy over Nana's relationship with Ren.

How long is the series? Is it over?

• 3 months later...

Ching chang choo chang ching ching...

Chang I watched this movie as a child...it blew my mind. Choo I acquired a DVD off of eBAY (I'm sure it is some type of bootleg)...in the original Japanese lang. w/ different sub options. The problem is, it looks like it was recorded from a T.V. airing of the movie...with the small "Manga" logo popping up in the corner...plus...more noticeably, the gorier scenes are cleverly censored with some psychedelic color effect (to flush out the immense blood and gut'age). IS THERE AN OFFICIAL DVD of the classic movie out there...with no censorship shit going on?

Chang chang?

Okay okay okay...we all know...classic bloody anime.

I watched this movie as a child...it blew my mind. I loved a good bunch of anime as I was growing up...but in recent years, I've lost touch as well as forgotten the goods from back in the day.

This isn't really a general "anime saved my life" topic, as much as it is a focus on what has happened to the Hokuto No Ken saga (on dvd) since eBAY surfaced. I came up on the English-dubbed VHS of the beautiful, old movie...all guts, all glory...then I acquired a DVD off of eBAY (I'm sure it is some type of bootleg)...in the original Japanese lang. w/ different sub options. The problem is, it looks like it was recorded from a T.V. airing of the movie...with the small "Manga" logo popping up in the corner...plus...more noticeably, the gorier scenes are cleverly censored with some psychedelic color effect (to flush out the immense blood and gut'age). IS THERE AN OFFICIAL DVD of the classic movie out there...with no censorship shit going on?

Also...pardon my lack of anime term knowledge...but when I go on sites like Amazon...I notice that there's a series (I'm assuming it's of the old T.V. series...OVA?) on DVD as well. I just read that the American Import version features a "new" soundtrack (terrible) and may be missing episodes of the original series.

I also noticed another movie...did they re-do it...or is this just a totally new piece of the story set in movie form?

Are there any other animated releases (don't give me the live action bullshit) of this series? How does the OVA and newer movie rate against the old '86 full-length?

(shit I guess I could have wikipedia'd this as well...too bad I realized this after typing this shit)

I guess I had other questions in there too...for those who have long attention spans.

the 86 animated feature is the best of the bunch, imo. It really gives you a lot of classic moments without too much unneccesary dialogue (which you would get from watching the 80's tv series)

The new OVAs are shit, I just watched them on Netflix... not worth your time. And don't even get me started on the live action movie.

ATATATATATATATATATATATATATA

Few years ago I would always say some ridiculous combination of adjectives and verbs while moving my mouth like a badly dubbed movie.

White tiger paw back side fist attack of the north star of the east! Then proceed to punch a crucifix shaped chunk out of mi amigo's chest.

the 86 animated feature is the best of the bunch, imo. It really gives you a lot of classic moments without too much unneccesary dialogue (which you would get from watching the 80's tv series)

The new OVAs are shit, I just watched them on Netflix... not worth your time. And don't even get me started on the live action movie.

ATATATATATATATATATATATATATA

Thanks man...I've been watching the movie religiously over the last few days and I love the fact that the dioalogue is so sparse...plenty of sound effects and music filling in the gaps. I think alot of older anime was like that...like Wicked City, Devilman, Vampire Hunter D, Riki-Oh (don't even get me started on THAT live action...although I bought it for comedic value).

So is there an actual uncensored, official DVD release of the 80's full length out there (japanese language with english subs preferred)??

Speaking of Fist of the North Star, is anyone a fan of Fist of the Blue Sky?

For those that have never head of, it follows Yan Wang/Kenshiro who is the Grandfather of Ken in Fist of the North Star and takes place in 1930's Shanghi. I like it better because it's this huge gang war and it's classic FOTNS fighting, but with suits!

Speaking of Fist of the North Star, is anyone a fan of Fist of the Blue Sky?

For those that have never head of, it follows Yan Wang/Kenshiro who is the Grandfather of Ken in Fist of the North Star and takes place in 1930's Shanghi. I like it better because it's this huge gang war and it's classic FOTNS fighting, but with suits!

What year was this released? Sounds interesting.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got around to watching Metropolis again. I watched it when I was very young and never managed to figure out what exactly it was since no one knew what I was talking about until very recently, much like Finding Nemo. It's hard describing things you primarily remember as being "colorful" and getting a response.

Either way, very good.

anyone remember back in the old-skool days of the Sci-Fi channel they had Anime Fest every couple of months...

THAT WAS THE SHITTTTTTTTT.

They used to also show anime every Saturday or Sunday night.