Anime / Manga

englandmj7

speaking of nihei tsutomu of "skink"(wolverine) blame! fame, his knights of sidonia has been confirmed for an anime.  knights of sidonia is a very lite version of his old stuff, but you still get some beautiful architecture and monsters

Edited by wahwho11

Stumbled into here, I only every read (looked at ) Area88 when that came out even did some graffiti based on that back in '88 too !! 

Also Appleseed at that time too and Akira, I bought the bluray boxset of "Freedom' liked that.

Only really like the style of Tsutomu Nihei, anyone else out there like him, love his darkness and architecture.

recommendations gladly accepted, the more technically drawn the better

^imho you should broaden up a bit. dark and psychological is great genre but theres a lot more to appreciate than just that. Mindfucks get pretty tiresome after a while too, good to throw in a palatte cleanser in between.

with that said, heres some cyberpunk/psychologicals off the top of my head:

Dorohedoro (creator used to be an assistant to tsutomu nihei)

Neo Tokyo (probably already saw this though)

Memories (same director as akira)

Ghost in the Shell (of course the first movie, fuck 2.0 and the second)

Ergo Proxy

Texhnolyze

Pale cocoon (only one episode but good)

Non-cyberpunk psychologicals that you should check out:

Perfect Blue

Paprika

Homunculus

Paranoia agent

Denpa teki na kanojo (only 2 episodes but amazing)

Monster

Also might want to look up work done by tatsuyuki tanaka, he was the key animator for akira and does a lot of cyberpunk.

should watch the movies first and then the shorter animes, then move on to the larger series.

Edited by halomunkey

Anyone watching Hunter X Hunter the 2011 version? Recently started, for a shonen it's really got a good plot to it. Very addictive, and the characters have a bit more depth / common sense than most of the leads you find in shows like Naruto, One Piece etcetera. 

tumblr_mn6o09yIMJ1rwrgyso1_500.jpg

what are the non-evangelion characters in this mural? thanks. 

They're all Evangelion characters. If you mean the characters on the left half of the mural, they are the new crew of the AAA Wunder. Ritsuko and Misato are in the very middle.

does anyone know a good place to find anime from the 20s/30s

the best i can find right now is on youtube (lol) and they don't normally have subtitles so I have to use the CC feature and translate it so a lot is lost

They're all Evangelion characters. If you mean the characters on the left half of the mural, they are the new crew of the AAA Wunder. Ritsuko and Misato are in the very middle.

oh okay, yeah you're right. i've only watched the new evangelions once or twice each so i don't really remember the newer characters. i was hoping they were from a new gainax series i didn't know about. thanks!

Anyone watching Hunter X Hunter the 2011 version? Recently started, for a shonen it's really got a good plot to it. Very addictive, and the characters have a bit more depth / common sense than most of the leads you find in shows like Naruto, One Piece etcetera. 

i wanted to watch hunter x hunter. any opinions on it? my friends said its pretty good.

anyone read the latest chapter for naruto? "Reunited and better than ever" *.*

I watch HxH. the new 2011 remake is great with good pacing the stories are interesting and fights are good. nows a good time to watch HxH since one of the best arc in the series just started. sadly its one of the last arcs since togashi is sick :(

one of the best fighting scenes in the older version

Edited by StrangeLove

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

gaurenteed half of the celebs like that moe moe slice of life.

oh shit kanya likes love hina/goldenboy.  i think i have to give him a pass now.

lol that the japanese heroes guy on the bottom right has the longest list.