waywt? saved my life

sycamore no more

0405090131.jpg

Just got home.

I took the 1 headed downtown coming home from the Upper West Side. I was holding on to a pole and there was a gang of rowdy black kids sitting down next to me. One them, a dude, comes up to me and says, "Hey man, I like your jacket."

"You should like it," I said. "It's awesome."

"She likes it, too. She really likes it." he said, pointing to this girl sitting down.

"Man," I said, "the whole world should like this jacket."

"She likes you too," he said.

"Join the club, sister. Join the club."

At that, they all began hooting and hollering. "Yo, man, we're going karaoking. Come with us!"

"Man, I went karaoking last night."

"We went last night, too! And we're going again tonight!"

"Man," I said. "I love karaoke."

One of the girls sitting asked, "What do you sing?"

"A little bit of everything," I said. "Green Day, Bon Jovi, Air Supply, Bobby Brown...."

" 'Tenderoni'?"

"Naw, 'My Prerogative.' [singing] 'Tell me, tell me, whyyyy, can't IIIII, live my li-ife (live my life!)....' "

And they began cheering. They got off shortly afterward at 42nd. I kept my place at the pole.

At 34th, a whole gaggle of black people—about fifteen—got on. One of them was this dude with a camera. As soon as he saw me, he called out, "Hold up, hold up! This is the new look! The look this year! Nerd stylin'!"

I posed for him. "You better post this!" I said.

"He said, 'You better post this'!" someone called from the back.

"Post it everywhere!" I said.

"Haw haw! MySpace sssss!"

Then my stop arrived. "This is my stop," I said.

My new friends let out a collective groan and booed. I stepped off and blew them a kiss and then I walked home.