SuperAlienation...Anyone else feel this sometimes?

dry the rain

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I get a lot of flak for wearing tight jeans, but my friends and strangers praise me for dressing nicely and having style. Also, I'm the only guy who carries around a tote bag at my university. My mom says I look "confused" carrying the bad while my female co-worker says I look professional with it.

I wear my jeans a little on the baggy side (compared to most Sufu members, but not too baggy) so I never get any flack from my classmates. In fact most of the time I get compliments from the girls I know. And the guys I know always ask me where I cop my stuff. I've never had any problems with people making fun of me.

Some times the simplistic views are the ones that make the most sense. I know he was looking for other people's experience, I was just showing it from another view point. Everyone in thier life gets judged for something albeit clothing, looks, skin color, etc. I think the point is to not let it bother you and go about being you. I know this is a rather common sense answer and probably something everyone's Mother told them when growing up but it is true.

The thing that gets me about this whole thread is the ass backwards view points...

Is this not the same, alienating someone because of what they wear?

but A&F wearers are fucktard clones who would stop buying clothes if that chain went out of business...

I dont really give a fuck anymore, i actually enjoy the attention i get from some of the more ridiculous shit i wear. Lifes too short to worry about what people u dont know think about you, and i think as long as ur happy and what u wear reflects your personal sense of style it's all good

I think going to college has broadended my views, since alot of people at my school are white (im asian), and i came from a much more cosmopolitian city (Toronto). It was a bit of a transition for me, but i get along with people just fine. I dont pre-judge people by the way they dress, but i am smart enough to realize that i have little to nothing in common with the A&F crowd. I can shoot the shit, work with them , but in terms of anything cultural (music, food, limited etc), i find their views or experiences limited by their upbringing.

So in the end, being a style-concious dude at a university where popped colars reign supreme, there is always a sense of distance/alienaation. This has not prevented me from socializing and enjoying the college experience, but I do feel ready to move on now after 4 years in school to bigger/better things.

I dress completely differently here at school than I do at home.

i see ur point, i do care less about what i wear at school because 1) the weathers shit for 6 months of the year, snow , slush and below freezing

2) bars and clubs are not nice-clothes friendly

3) really noone notices what im wearing unless its like something really flashy anyhow

so i keep it low key, dry denim, tees, hoodies , m65, maybe a sweater every now and then

abercrombie's clothing isn't as bad (IMO) as a lot of y'all make it to be...it's the crowd who wears it that i can see having something against, but the clothes themselves aren't that bad to me.

Co-fucking-sign. In that, I mean there's absolutely nothing wrong with their sweaters and shirts. The rest of it, from the vintage effect polos and hoodies to the 'humour' t-shirts is overpriced shit.

The boxer Jack Johnson said this and I think it's perfectly apt: "I am a brunette in a blonde town".

As for typical Asian "style" it is all just a cheap insidious hodge-podge of logoed Abercrombie; or when they like to "GQ" it with their disgusting Macy's bought Regis shirts, square-toed clod-hoppers, and nasty baggy fits as if reflecting their extreme lack of personality.

I don't think straight men carry tote bags.

Go to Japan; I’m pretty sure quite a few guys carry tote bags there.

Also in a more general response to your reply, how does carrying a tote bag (or wearing tight jeans, etc…) automatically translate into “hi I love the cock� Saying that no straight men carry a tote bag is completely foolish.

I wasn't aware superfuture was full of so many metrosexual awkward people. You read this thread and compare it to the Supreme one or something, I guess there's two groups of people.

I don't think straight men carry tote bags.

I'm pretty sure this is the exact kind of attitude this thread was all about in the first place. someone give him -1 because I must spread some more around before I can do it again

all right. just telling you though, i I see some guy in tight jeans and carrying a tote bag, I'll assume he's gay.

do you people wax your eyebrows? gell up your hair?

What fucking planet do you live on? I know a pub down the road where, despite the deceiving tones of Madonna coming out of the speakers, the clientele are more likely to kick your ass and steal your wallet than talk about moisturiser and waxing.