australia :: sydney :: shopping

dumadiscount

Well, ya see, I'm not saying that I've been everywhere and I've done everything, but I do know it's a pretty amazing planet we live on here, and a man would have to be some kind of FOOL to think that the best store in Sydney isn't Big Trouble Store. This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there!

Australian retail stores might get a boost and allow for more local players to stock interesting brands once the GST threshold for overseas purchases drops under the current $1000 threshold. Paying gst + the inevitable processing fee customs will charge will make people less willing to buy their stuff online.  

How they are going to enforce this GST threshold is beyond me. 

The postal service and customs don't have the staff or resources to check every package that comes into the country.

I think the lower value of the Aussie dollar to overseas currencies will put a dampener on internet sales anyway.

The population here is really what limits the kind of brands that shops can stock. We have such a small market for certain brands and labels.

It'll work similarly to Canada: they'll likely introduce a handling fee to recoup money from a lot of the small value purchases that come through and consume a lot of time. There will be ways around it of course, getting a store overseas that you're on friendly terms with to send a package as a gift, but that wont be the norm.

The comment about interesting brands was more to do with *if* the stores find they're getting higher turnover, they can afford to take some risks with lesser known brands or more niche stuff.