australia :: sydney :: shopping

dumadiscount

Some of the LRG stuff at Nitrogen is alright and is definately genuine. My brother has been wearing this label for a few seasons and It would take a fair bit of work to fake them.

styleofmind: whered you get the edwin shirt? Carhartt?

i dont like LRG myself... seems too ecko unltd, phat farm kinda thing. its just me but im not into that kinda thing. i have a feeling though, wearing LRG, bape, ecko etc would get you raped by the people on WAYWT haha.

yeah i got it from carhartt. walked over to SP1 as well to just check it out but they're all the same price.

is it just me or does it seem that SP1 has almost everything that carhartt has? besides a smaller range. everything seems to be exactly the same price and all.

really feeling the edwins though. might cop a pair of edwin jeans next. but have other stuff lined up before that...

i have a feeling though, wearing LRG, bape, ecko etc would get you raped by the people on WAYWT haha.

Unfortunately you are probably right. Unfortuanely because people can look good whatever the label is or how much it cost, and not everyone wants to wear CDG, black skinnies and cardigans just to fit in with the crowd.

sydneys boring, i go to an arts uni and so many ppl wear nudies and ksubi and cutoffs.

hows belinda mens these days? havent been for a while.

poepke used to be good when they carried menswear, pity they dont anymore :(

as for something constructive somedays is good, talk to mathias.

sydneys boring, i go to an arts uni and so many ppl wear nudies and ksubi and cutoffs.

hows belinda mens these days? havent been for a while.

poepke used to be good when they carried menswear, pity they dont anymore :(

as for something constructive somedays is good, talk to mathias.

Sydney is big enough to have a lot of product but coz of the climate it will never be a 1st tier fashion/shopping city. The winter is like for 2 weeks.

i think in Melbourne they've got legit Bape dealers

not sure if evolve214 stocks them but on sneakerfreaker i read theres a shop in Melb that resells genuine Bape, BBC shit

evolve have had always had at least a few pieces of Ape in the store for years. Yeah resell only.

i dont think sydneys as bad as other places.

compared to those countries on the equator and stuff. southeast asian nations etc.

but people in melbourne do take more effort to dress up, ive noticed that so far.

evolve has some DECENT stuff sometimes if you like the whole skate thing. i know they've had Know1edge etc. before.

I think syd vs melb its all about the same. I mean i havent spent much time in Melb but everyone dresses the same as in Syd from what I've seen. I think it's too close to kind of say one is better then the other. Others who I have spoken to about this who live in between both cities say that 5 years ago the difference was apparent but now its minimal if at all.

was out with some of the boys from melbourne last night. one thing we've all agreed on is that melbourne and sydney are two whole different ball games together. was just relying on recommendations from friends really but it's a whole different ballgame.

few things we've noticed.

1) girls here are much hotter. much much hotter. but melbourne people do dress better.

2) music styles here are wayyyyy different. melbourne DJ's slowly mix and mash it up, whereas in sydney, the DJ's here pretty much just cut into the next song. also, the music's rather commercialized. not all of the dj's im sure, but a bunch of them anyway.

3) to talk to a girl in melbourne, you just hang by the bar, relax, kick it with your boys etc. over here, it seems all you have to do is dance up to them and dance well. like a modernized mating ritual.

4) on the subject of dancing and seeing as we're on superfuture. it seems that dress sense doesn't matter to the sweethearts here. but skills at dancing do. just a little experiment, a mate who dressed pretty classily [commonly, i grant you, but classy nonetheless, blazer, shirt, jeans, loafers] went up against a girl and she was attracted! no doubt! but not as attracted as compared to another mate who was wearing a hoodie and jeans and whom is less good looking but who could certainly rip up the dance floor.

just a few of my observations... i could be wrong, but thats just me.

Sydney is big enough to have a lot of product but coz of the climate it will never be a 1st tier fashion/shopping city. The winter is like for 2 weeks.

We have a at least a few more cold days in sydney :)

No honestly, theres not much in premium menswear here, belinda used to carry yohji, hussein chalayan, rick owens, ccp but dont anymore, partly due to people stealing the stock. Poepke used to carry raf simons, bernhard willhelm, dries van noten, resistance etc now dont hold any menswear. I mean, I probably buy one full price piece a year and 4-5 pieces from them on sale, there surely are guys with careers buying intelligent fashion design.

Not sure how much has changed in the last 4-6 months as I havent really shopped for that long but its looking downhill. Maybe the progression from premium denim will influence the market for high design eventually, maybe by 2010 we'll see some more of those brands. But ye, a higher consciousness of quality and design, cut and drape of garments will most likely be the factor; consumer education!

went for a quick walk this afternoon on Oxford st and Paddington, nothing interesting at all other than the new denim store next to G-star, friendly assistant and nice ALD belt, those are f*king wide and quality leather, pity they were 150/200AUD for a pop

c'mon guys. dont have to have premium shit to look good.

style's innate i reckon. lets not make excuses and just step up our game. i mean, people on sufu are definitely better dressed than the average man. but hey, i'd say that people in sydney dont dress any worse than the guys on WAYWT.

and lets also realise that the guys here place a lot more emphasis on fashion and looking good than most.

not many people can justify spending more than 200+ on a pair of jeans. but im sure there are those among us who've bought imperials, apc's etc.

It really doesn't bother me whether Sydney dresses as well as other (international) cities, and I don't think it does as well as Melbourne. But at the end of the day, it's really the climate the affects us.

In terms of shopping, there are a few decent boutiques. I think Ourspot has the best niche of all. There's no point going to Belinda or Robby Ingham, overpriced, limited sizes and range.

Don't mean to sound crass, but if you can afford it or are lucky enough, buy your gear overseas. I imagine that's what most of the cashed up people do in Sydney anyway...

In terms of local labels, I champion FEIT shoes. Prob not everyone's cup of tea... But it grows on you. I flogged a new pair for 6 weeks in Europe, and another new pair for a week in HK, most comfortable sneakers ever. They come back looking even better. People overseas actually take notice of them. Big pat on the back to the boys at FEIT.

Styleofmind where did you go out in syd? I dont really know the scene anymore but i know there is alot of shit out there but when the good stuff although lacking is of hi qual.

I don't agree with the hotness of sydney girls though - i think there has been a major decline on the amount of good looking girls out there although i dont go looking as i am in a longterm relo.

LittleL i am going to have to check out the feit store (it s pronounced fight, yes?) again. My first look I was not impresed but i think thats just because i had different expecations.

Don't mean to sound crass, but if you can afford it or are lucky enough, buy your gear overseas. I imagine that's what most of the cashed up people do in Sydney anyway...

Gotta agree. This is what I do a couple of times a year, but I'm not cashed up. Sydney has a great range of clothing/brands, but due to demand, there is not much variety, hence you see many others wearing the same gear as you.

Save up and buy your wardrobe overseas.

I don't agree with the hotness of sydney girls though - i think there has been a major decline on the amount of good looking girls out there although i dont go looking as i am in a longterm relo.

I find there to be a lot of pretty girls out and about at the good clubs. Most of the pretties are from the North shore, East and some are in the inner west/west.

Styleofmind where did you go out in syd? I dont really know the scene anymore but i know there is alot of shit out there but when the good stuff although lacking is of hi qual.

LittleL i am going to have to check out the feit store (it s pronounced fight, yes?) again. My first look I was not impresed but i think thats just because i had different expecations.

just been out to a coupla places. UN, martinplacebar, RnB SupaClub @ Skygarden... not really many places but yeah. sydney does have hotter girls on average when compared to melbourne trust me on that.

its not just about the clubs but more about what you see on the street etc.

supply has good stuff, pity poor kids like me cant afford anything there unless when they are on sale

agreed. at least supply isnt a reseller so the prices arent crazily marked up.

In terms of local labels, I champion FEIT shoes. Prob not everyone's cup of tea... But it grows on you. I flogged a new pair for 6 weeks in Europe, and another new pair for a week in HK, most comfortable sneakers ever. They come back looking even better. People overseas actually take notice of them. Big pat on the back to the boys at FEIT.

agreed. ive been flipping aroudn in my head whether to get a pair of chucks or a pair from FEIT next. still not sure but theres all this stuff lined up in my head.

ie. APCs, backpack from The North Face etc.

agreed. at least supply isnt a reseller so the prices arent crazily marked up.

Depends on the brand. Porter is pretty close to Japan retail at Supply but Visvim is almost double Japan retail.

Supply aren`t resellers but they have the monopoly on those brands in Sydney (in Australia?) and like Hideout in London charge a premium for it.

Prices are rape down here. I went to Someday in Melbourne earlier this week and the PAM stuff there is more exspensive than it is at GOODs in Seattle even though Someday is PAM's store. It sucks that you Aussies have to pay all of that GST bullshit.

I went to Supply again today and was unimpressed. Boring, overpriced stuff IMO.

But I guess I am wearing less and less "street wear" type clothes these days.

Prices are rape down here. I went to Someday in Melbourne earlier this week and the PAM stuff there is more exspensive than it is at GOODs in Seattle even though Someday is PAM's store. It sucks that you Aussies have to pay all of that GST bullshit.

Yeah thats nuts being PAMs homebase etc. and Australians are definately overtaxed compared to you Americans.

Yeah. fuck centrelink. get off your ass and work.

cosigned.

sure shits expensive. but look in my opinion, if you cant afford it, then maybe you shouldnt be lusting over it. its like how i reckon having my own sikorsky would be fucking cool. but i know i aint gonna afford it so im not even gonna bother lusting over it.

its the set of cards we're dealt boys and girls. best we learn to deal with it. unless of course we're fortunate enough to head to another city, eg. NYC for supreme, recon/nort etc.

or tokyo for neighborhood, w)taps etc.

but not all of us, myself included, are that fortunate... plus i dont have a credit card so i guess its just something we gotta deal with...

go supply. hahaha.