australia :: sydney :: shopping

dumadiscount

^ Not so sure about SB (a quick google shows me they're going into administration) but with G star I suppose its not that surprising.

Rarely see people in their city store in world square if at all and with their price points I'd think most people would rather go nudies or something

BTW does anyone know a reasonably good tailor? Planning to hem a pair of curve pants and I honestly don't trust my local chinese tailor to do the job. Just looking for a simple over lock stitch really.

Edited by FatCook

G-Star opened way too many stores. 

Their world square store used to kill it a few years back.

Like a lot of companies i think they overreached for their market. 

Do people think that the wait time for product had anything to do with Sneaker Boy going into admin ?

or is Sydney too small to support that kind of market ? 

^ depends what you're using it for, are you looking for single origin coffees for espresso/filter or a standard blend for espressos.

Single origin is legit although I've yet to use their beans personally.

Toby's estate near Usyd is my go to just because its cheaper in general, it's on the way and decent for price-quality ratio (I think was about $14 + you get a free small coffee vs $17ish from smaller roasters)

Reuben hills has one of the better, most consistently roasted beans I've seen (fat, barely any cracked ones, and really light roast which I like) but comes at the more standard $17+ price tag

Sample coffee down near Central station also does pretty well but my first and only experience with them was pretty underwhelming for a bag of $19 beans. Will give another go tho.

Campos was good for a while before I realized they went dark roast with all their single origin beans, which IMO defeats the purpose when I'm using manual brews. Also doesn't help that every "better" cafe stocks their beans and uses that as an excuse to charge $4 for a regular coffee.

Coffee alchemy/Gumption coffee also sells beans and going by their rep they should be good as well, but will have to try first tho so don't take my word for it

and I did online delivery 1-2 times before from 5 senses, probably won't do that again with delayed shipping and stuff

Do people think that the wait time for product had anything to do with Sneaker Boy going into admin ?

or is Sydney too small to support that kind of market ? 

I don't think Syd/Mel are too small to support a dedicated streetwear sneaker shop, plus being an online retailer first meant that they'd be far reaching. Their startup costs might have simply been too high and they weren't able to recuperate them quickly enough - I'd say their early buys had a big part in this as much of the stuff rode the waves of time until it ended up in the 50-70% sale bin (lanvin and kva I'm looking at you). A sounder strategy would have been to become nikelab and adidas consortium stockists, just so they could have gone for the guaranteed sales rather than have stuff sitting around in their warehouse for ages. Then they could test the market with a small selection of high fashion sneakers rather than investing too heavily too quickly.

With Sneakerboy in administration, it would be interesting to see if whoever is handling the case might try and sell it off to cover the debt. Same thing happened to Ln-cc a couple of years back and after a few restructure changes, they ended up selling the brand off to an Italian company and now they only stock turtlenecks and wideleg pants. A far cry from the Jap streetwear they used to stock.

I thought it was okay at best. Mary's is better imo

Well, I thought Mary's was pretty average :/

Will probably still end up going either today or saturday

e: went, thought it was p good, definitely better than Mary's in every respect including the music they played. Idk if I'd make the commute again though

Edited by pas de deux

Glad you enjoyed it, it's definitely the best of the 4 haymarket food court places imo, though I like Menya the best. 

Also, Kinokuniya has a thing where if you buy 5 of the Penguin's 80th birthday titles, you go in the running to win all 80 - they have some good stuff: BashÅ, Hafez, Chekov, KenkÅ, etc, and they're only $2 each

The Gallery has Mecca Cosmetica (Malin + Goetz, CdG perfume range, Diptyque, Byredo, etc), Incu, the Carhartt W.I.P flagship, and Kinonkuniya - probably the best bookstore here - and is right at Town Hall.

From there you could probably walk to the P.A.M store on Burton

I wouldn't really shop for clothes in Sydney though, you'd have been better off in Melbourne

e: Stopped by Pieces on Gouldburn, they were doing stock take so we didn't go in, but they had some interesting stuff - Thom Browne and Guidi

Edited by pas de deux

The Gallery has Mecca Cosmetica (Malin + Goetz, CdG perfume range, Diptyque, Byredo, etc), Incu, the Carhartt W.I.P flagship, and Kinonkuniya - probably the best bookstore here - and is right at Town Hall.

From there you could probably walk to the P.A.M store on Burton

I wouldn't really shop for clothes in Sydney though, you'd have been better off in Melbourne

e: Stopped by Pieces on Gouldburn, they were doing stock take so we didn't go in, but they had some interesting stuff - Thom Browne and Guidi

Thanks. Was wandering around today and randomly found Incu, Carhartt WIP, etc. Some cool stuff there. Thinking about walking around Darlinghurst tomorrow. Worthwhile?

Thanks. Was wandering around today and randomly found Incu, Carhartt WIP, etc. Some cool stuff there. Thinking about walking around Darlinghurst tomorrow. Worthwhile?

PAM store in Darlinghurst has some decent stuff, womenswear more than mens tho, and from there you could check out stuff in Surry Hills and Paddington (Ariel Books on oxford st is great!)

^ looks to be a good way to spend my sunday afternoon. The Sydney market has a tendency to overdo its trending cuisines. Froyo, xiao long bao, korean bbq, burgers... Hopefully there will be a yakitori craze because we're certainly lacking in choices for that.

• 1 month later...

It's taking the place of where freedom used to be so I'd be kind of shocked if they didn't have their usual staple of homewares, stationery, travel accessories etc.

2015 is a good time to be a student in Sydney with cheap options for stuff like qlo and muji around - it's a shame it wasn't around 7 years ago when I had little money.

Oh, another burger joint has joined Sydney's bandwagon (http://www.broadsheet.com.au/sydney/food-and-drink/article/five-points-burgers)

I tried it and found it decent but not life changing like a lot of reviewers and instagramers are saying. I'm getting burger fatigue from this haze of brioche buns and pickles with beef that is dominating the city right now.

Yeah, it seems like burgers and americana is bigger than ever, i'm actually kind of glad there are a glut of american-style barbecue places are popping up - vic's meat market in the sydney fish market is the only one i've been too so far but it was pretty great

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...