Nom de Guerre SS 07

madefix

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ahhhhhh....

To remember the days of yore when NDG was just a scrappy little upstart of a streetwear botique selling exclusive sneakers and Eriffs T-shirts...Wouldn't touch that shit with a 10 foot pole now, huh?

I remember picking up cool stuff at ISA in Williamsburg - lots of cool Levis and old school Dunks - a good few years before Nom de Guerre opened. Ah, well, these days even Park Slope is boutiquey.

nom de guerre basically moved out all of the leftover non-ndg house items away somewhere, and moved the in house winter line downstairs. for coats they had:

1. black cotton waxed parka in various sizes

2. peacoat various sizes (i actually returned mine)

3. one or two shawl collar waist coats

4. biker jacket with leather trim

5. kind of a flight jacket that they didn't have until recently. probably came late.

you should give them a call and put something on hold if you want. the only thing i REALLY wanted was the work sweater, but they sold out of all sizes except for xl. ridiculous since it retailed for $565.

I bought the M65, and I blinked a few times, twirled around, and waited a couple of days before rushing back to pull the trigger. And that was at Stel's, which retailed the jacket a full $60 less than Nom de Guerre. Most expensive purchase of last season still. The people on these boards are not really representative of the general consumer population. I would guess that people here generally spend significantly more on clothing and accessories than most people in their income bracket, thus the cries of "so expensive" when it comes to labels like Nom de Guerre. In fact, their prices are commiserate with prices at Odin, Steven Alan, Oak, etc... A winter jacket for $600 is, in context, not that expensive. Definitely cheaper than actual designer gear (A Varvatos wool jacket would cost $3-400 more, for example, and one by Gucci - look to triple the price.) LIke it or not, there are plenty, plenty of Manhattanites for whom a $600 jacket seems relatively cheap.

i have no problem buying clothes in the ndg price range. nom de guerre shit bothers me because its not worth anywhere near what it sells for. especially the t shirts. theyve been putting out the same style t shirts for how many seasons? and the prices raise everytime? what the fuck? damn, an american apparel shirt with a big single color picture print is really worth 85 dollars. thats bullshit. and so are their prices with their other shit. its not that good of quality for the price.

• 1 month later...

NDG bothers me because they are creating very basic apparel that I would expect to find at APC for half the price. They are essentially trying to price themselves into being a legitimate brand and it's blatantly obvious. It wasn't long ago when kids were swinging by NDG to buy Nikes and MHI camo sweats. Remember when their sweatshirts were all over rap videos? Now they think they can command $200 for a pair of cotton shorts? What makes them think they can design clothes? Or make durable gear? They sold streetwear and now they think they're high end? Their jeans are no better than what other companies are already doing...they probably just have a high margin and they know that the generic customer is already comfortable with paying $200+ for denim. Doesn't make any sense. It would be like going into Supreme and finding some blazers and Alfred Sargent lace-ups. If I wanted to look put together and overpay for it, I'd rather go to Seize Sur Vingt and Barker Black.

hmm. they're really shifting over in their aesthetic.

On the one hand, I think I would wear just about everything, but on the other, it doesn't seem very inspired to me. Looks quite boring actually....

^^^^^very true the items are very wearable, but in my opinion the majority of the items would not be the main accents in my outfit. The items seam to be the articles that would fall to the background of my ensemble.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

ndg is typically around $400 for shirts, $80 tees, $800 for jackets and about $250 for jeans. way overpriced in general, but i'm hoping the quality will catch up with the price point.

anyone know what their sweaters were last winter? loving this, but hope its not more than the $3-400 range.

fw07_lookbook1_page_10.jpg