Nom de Guerre SS 07

madefix

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

These sound pretty cool!

They really are. They have some picture of the author on the front and, if I'm remembering correctly, the name and date of birth/death on the back. I could be wrong about the second part, though. Aside from those shirts, there were also some with just book covers.

As for prices; I'm not sure if my list is entirely accurate. I'll figure it out, though, and post the price list with the scans.

I dig the lookbook's style - it looks like they shot the whole thing on Polaroid pack film. It's tough to get excited about the actual pieces through. On the surface, it does look like many of the clothes that H&M or Club Monaco puts out. I know that NDG uses much better materials and construction, but I wish that they would step out more with their designs - or significantly lower their prices. I just can't pay that kind of money for things that look this generic.

Holy god, a $400 cardigan. Screw you, NdG!\

Yeah, seriously! I also liked the deconstructed flight jacket but $450 is a bit much. Although it's a completely different style, I would rather get the buzz rickson ma-1 if I was going to shell out more than $400 for a flight jacket.

The thing that always gets me is that it seems some things don't transfer correctly through thier line. I love it, but come on, $450 for a jacket and then $400 for a cardigan? I don't see how that even makes sense unless the cardigan is 100% cashmere and the jacket maybe just cotton.

do people actually buy this shit at regular prices? I wonder how much stock they have when their sales come around.

I've been in NDG where I've seen people try a few pieces on quickly then procede to buy all of them. I can see buying their coats at full price, but other pieces just don't add up when you look at the price tag.

I've been in NDG where I've seen people try a few pieces on quickly then procede to buy all of them. I can see buying their coats at full price, but other pieces just don't add up when you look at the price tag.

do you see these people as older or younger clientele. i'm still trying to figure out ndg's real demographic. i.e. people who buy this shit at retail.

do you see these people as older or younger clientele. i'm still trying to figure out ndg's real demographic. i.e. people who buy this shit at retail.

Clientele is mid 20s and through mid-30's urbanites, I would guess, based on the pricepoints, their stockists, and their location alone. Essentially the same clientele as Steven Alan, Odin, and any number of boutique stores in NYC.

LA Guy is mostly correct, although one kid looked to be about 17-19 and bought the m-65 and a few other pieces without blinking. Everyone else has been mid 20's - early 30s.

LA Guy is mostly correct, although one kid looked to be about 17-19 and bought the m-65 and a few other pieces without blinking. Everyone else has been mid 20's - early 30s.

I bought the M65, and I blinked a few times, twirled around, and waited a couple of days before rushing back to pull the trigger. And that was at Stel's, which retailed the jacket a full $60 less than Nom de Guerre. Most expensive purchase of last season still. The people on these boards are not really representative of the general consumer population. I would guess that people here generally spend significantly more on clothing and accessories than most people in their income bracket, thus the cries of "so expensive" when it comes to labels like Nom de Guerre. In fact, their prices are commiserate with prices at Odin, Steven Alan, Oak, etc... A winter jacket for $600 is, in context, not that expensive. Definitely cheaper than actual designer gear (A Varvatos wool jacket would cost $3-400 more, for example, and one by Gucci - look to triple the price.) LIke it or not, there are plenty, plenty of Manhattanites for whom a $600 jacket seems relatively cheap.