Cloak Spring '07

goldengloves

What do you guys think of the last Cloak collection to be released?

I must say, at this moment, I am not too overwhelmed with the collection. For Alexander to say it is 'best collection' seems a little far fetched but I am waiting to see the clothing up close before I come to any solid opinions on it. I'm hoping some of the fabrics and colors will be nicer when viewing the clothing on it's own.

00110m.jpg

00130m.jpg

00200m.jpg

00230m.jpg

I'm not a huge fan of it. There's no way that it compares to some of his earlier work, his comment still mystifies me. Maybe in hindsight, either all of us will see what he was talking about, or much more likely he'll come around to our side.

There was so much great stuff in earlier Cloak collections, this one just felt lacking.

i haven't looked at it in awhile, but i remember it being much worse than those pictures above... but i don't think cloak and technofabric mix too well.

Haha, yea I picked the ones that were my favorite. There is definitely some 'interesting' pieces in the collection.

I am just wondering if Plokhov stated it was his best collection simply because of the fact it will be his last. Either way, I will miss his Fall collections and the general aesthetic of which comes with his clothing.

i actually think that this could end up finally becoming the full embodiment of Cloak's vision, in terms of marrying 'streetwear' to the tailored and refined aesthetic that Cloak was supposed to represent. if you look at it through that prism, the use of the technofabrics doesn't seem out of place, it seems like exactly what should have been going on since the beginning.

i am planning on being happily surprised by this collection. i just think that most of us have been far too into the prevailing Cloak aesthetic to fully appreciate the final collection. it took me a while to reason myself to this conclusion, but i really think it is the right mindset to look at the pieces from.

im still annoyed that apparently there will be no footwear for s/s 07. i want (or should i say wanted) the black engineer boots badly.

Im annoyed as well. I wonder why they're not, because obviously from the runway photos and the Cloak site it was planned to happen. I was really curious about the monk strap shoes and linen zip boot too. Damn.

onemancult- That's a great way of looking at it. I too am hoping I will be pleasantly surprised with the line.

i think julius engineer boots > cloak engineer boots ;)

Alot of engineer boots out there are better than cloaks. Check out what Ayn and digi picked up at the Archive:

http://static.flickr.com/176/364842875_78ee891199_d.jpg

http://img183.imageshack.us/img183/5198/img10293bd.jpg

tang's costume national:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v185/r005ter/clothing/CNboot_IMG_1640.jpg

All I think for around $202 at the sale. I myself think that Fry's Brando engineer boots are pretty awesome especially since they already have rubber-reinforced leather soles (no need to bring 'em in to a cobbler for reinforcing like many of the boots above should). >>> http://www.zappos.com/n/p/dp/19747632.html

Oh and I'm pretty sure the Bloomingdales & Gimme Shoes up in downtown san fran sells Fiorentini + Baker boots that totally kick Cloak's leather out of the water. I wish I were up there to watch for it every season. The boots I got were around $450 retail before the discount. I bet cloaks prices would've been twice that. ^_^

• 4 weeks later...