Stevenson Overall Company

jaspar

Good to know, thanks—might look into one

I’ve always washed sweaters by hand so never had to worry about it, but I’d def. like to be able to throw this in the machine with everything else, so if that helps it should be a good investment

• 1 month later...

How do the sleeves fit on the Cody shirts? I have a Unionist shirt in XL that fits well overall but is borderline too slim through the forearms—it works out okay, but does mean that I almost exclusively wear it with the sleeves rolled up past my elbows, which isn't ideal. Will I have similar issues with the Cody?

6 hours ago, julian-wolf said:

How do the sleeves fit on the Cody shirts? I have a Unionist shirt in XL that fits well overall but is borderline too slim through the forearms—it works out okay, but does mean that I almost exclusively wear it with the sleeves rolled up past my elbows, which isn't ideal. Will I have similar issues with the Cody?

I tried on the unionist shirt and I dont remember it being noticeably slim on my arms so I'm going to guess that if it feels slim on you, you may find that the Cody is similar. Stevenson is remaking the Cody again this year and he said that the fit will be more relaxed and less classic western style slim so that may work better for you.

• 4 weeks later...

The new line looks so good, we're getting a bunch of it at our stores starting tomorrow with the Cody shirt in four different fabrics.  I'm definitely getting that sweatshirt @goodrain posted above for myself in the orange color.

Edited by kiya

@goodrain This was the best I could do with the fit pics.  The pants were pretty large when I bought them, I went true to size 34 and were like a 36.  It's based on a WW2 cut, but I ended up taking the knee and leg opening in.  Actually, with them being roomier on the top block and waist actually helped me out because of covid weight

IMG_2892.jpg

IMG_2891.jpg

IMG_2890.jpg

IMG_2889.jpg

IMG_2888.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

This search function isn't working for me. UGH. I hope someone can help me out! I know Stevenson is notorious for vanity sizing (well, the "older" versions)...I was thinking of getting a pair of La Jolla's. I'm a standard size 34. I had a pair YEARS ago in a 34 and I remember them being too big. I recently got a size 33 Santa Rosa and I think they fit great. Should I be sizing down 2 (to 32), and will that be safe on the La Jolla's? 

• 2 months later...
On 2/6/2022 at 7:48 AM, Broark said:

Stevenson is back! Great to see them making stuff again: http://soc-la.com/item.php?s=17
I really like the color of this Dominator flannel.

what happened to them in 2021?

If they do ever stop making clothes I'm buying every pair of SOC Carmel in stock in my size. 

I've got 3 years on mine as my primary denim and they'll easily go another 6 but I need a lifetime supply

Edited by givemefive

• 1 month later...

Very excited that Stevenson is making new clothes again.  But it looks like they are no longer making what has become a staple of my wardrobe, the world's best t-shirt:

1198-sub_image1.thumb.jpg.25a166d4a900fb12ebc21b240123e243.jpg

I just love those sleeves and the color.  Merz B Schwanen does a SS henley with similar sleeves, but Stevenson is the only brand I know of that was using them on a plain crew neck T.  Does anyone know of anyone else that might make a shirt like this, or if Atsu can be talked into making another run of these?  Mine are starting to become a bit threadbare...

On 6/2/2022 at 4:44 PM, CityHunter said:

This search function isn't working for me. UGH. I hope someone can help me out! I know Stevenson is notorious for vanity sizing (well, the "older" versions)...I was thinking of getting a pair of La Jolla's. I'm a standard size 34. I had a pair YEARS ago in a 34 and I remember them being too big. I recently got a size 33 Santa Rosa and I think they fit great. Should I be sizing down 2 (to 32), and will that be safe on the La Jolla's? 

I am very late to this, so I'm not sure this is going to help, but Stevensons are weirdly complicated to fit.  It is true that the actual waist measurement is often significantly bigger than the tagged waist size.  But the REST of the measurements are (in my opinion) true to size for most bodies.  So if you size down to get the waist right, everything else is going to be too tight (especially on the slimmer fits).  I always go tagged waist and wear a belt.  The upside (and maybe the intention?) is that these are jeans with an attractive fit that aren't agony to sit down in.

On 8/6/2022 at 12:17 AM, givemefive said:

If they do ever stop making clothes I'm buying every pair of SOC Carmel in stock in my size. 

I've got 3 years on mine as my primary denim and they'll easily go another 6 but I need a lifetime supply

100%.  These are the best fitting, best looking jeans.  I think at this point "lifetime supply" might be 3-4 pairs, but I have had this exact thought.  Wish I had done that with their t-shirts.

Just had the thought I wanna put out to the world, that every once in a while I look for a pair of new-ish 707s in size 29 or 30… I’d settle for a pair of 747 also in that higher size… ive always loved Stevenson denim but the cuts I’ve tried (727 n 767) are so uncomfortable… so just puttin it out there in case anyone has or comes across a pair of any of those and wants to drop me a line!! thx!!!!

Edited by chicote

Going back and reading the Stevenson thread last night, I was really struck that this brand has had a definite and sad story arc in the denim community here. From 2007-2015 or so, there were so many acquisitions of new 727s or 767s by forum members, so much praise given to the unique details of these jeans - the beautiful green cast denim, meticulous single needle construction, truly creative and thoughtful breaks from traditional denim designs - that I certainly felt swept up in also, and I assumed at that time that Stevenson would remain one of the more popular brands on this forum, because of how successfully they’ve broken with many of the traditions of the repro denim world.

But as time went on, it seems most people ended up finding fault with these jeans; more often than not, it was due to the fit. Too wide in the waist, too heavily tapered below the knee, and - for me especially - much too low of a front and back rise to be comfortable. A few people, @kiya and @youngofthesoonest I can recall off the top of my head, did wear their pairs in pretty hard (your guys’ photos are broken btw!), but for almost everyone else it seemed that the magic faded before the denim ever had a chance to.

Well, in a bit of nostalgic rapture last night, and flush with cash from selling 10lbs of carnitas at a garage sale, I bought a pair of 150 Encinitas from Double Soul, their last pair in size 29.

Pictures taken from Franklin and Poe, who carries this model up into tag size 36:

C136DED3-C3F8-4628-9B76-E9E9307B823D.thumb.jpeg.a586bb97e31f70e89dba697452bbe8f1.jpeg8F7C5CBB-5FC3-4F5B-B9CD-158A38509FEC.thumb.jpeg.6f84e4cd365b91bc80214534397fe4e4.jpeg

The measurements, finally, look like the sort that might appease the 30s-40s fit crowd: an 11+ inch front rise, roomy thigh and drastic but not completely extreme taper to, in my size, at least, an 8 3/8” leg opening. The waist is still oversized, yes, but for the first time that I’ve seen, Stevenson seems to be really trying to make a truer repro-oriented cut with their signature denim and construction detail.

Measurements also from Franklin and Poe. I’m noting these one-wash measurements are a big larger all around than the ones given by Stevenson on their own website, but assume (and hope) these were done on the actual product.

CB0713AF-01E1-4D78-836C-82441FAAC7D0.thumb.jpeg.e17dbf7b58821f1f91a21b9eaecdd5eb.jpeg

I’ll update further when these arrive in the mail, most likely some time in the next couple weeks. I really want them to live up to my expectations; going back and reading through this thread reminded me of what a special brand this is, and I’d love to be able to properly break in some of their jeans and, for all of these people who had their hopes dashed in the past, perhaps endorse giving them a second look.

Edited by chicote

I wore these 727s for ~1.5 years between 2019 and 2021. I purchased them from SE in ~2015, but they sat in my closet unworn until Kiya posted his pair a few years ago. 

Stevenson’s denim and details are fantastic. The 727 cut always felt a bit off with the barrel waist, low rise and slimmer thighs than I’m used to, but I stuck with them. Even though I don’t see myself wearing these again, they’re still one of my favorite pairs. I also have the 210s, but they haven’t seen any wear beyond a week or so.

8FEA57A9-B852-46FD-8BD8-1A6D7E6F6E2F.jpeg

0057811C-43D9-4EED-B06F-45565C21FAD9.jpeg

11 hours ago, chicote said:

Going back and reading the Stevenson thread last night, I was really struck that this brand has had a definite and sad story arc in the denim community here. From 2007-2015 or so, there were so many acquisitions of new 727s or 767s by forum members, so much praise given to the unique details of these jeans - the beautiful green cast denim, meticulous single needle construction, truly creative and thoughtful breaks from traditional denim designs - that I certainly felt swept up in also, and I assumed at that time that Stevenson would remain one of the more popular brands on this forum, because of how successfully they’ve broken with many of the traditions of the repro denim world.

But as time went on, it seems most people ended up finding fault with these jeans; more often than not, it was due to the fit. Too wide in the waist, too heavily tapered below the knee, and - for me especially - much too low of a front and back rise to be comfortable. A few people, @kiya and @youngofthesoonest I can recall off the top of my head, did wear their pairs in pretty hard (your guys’ photos are broken btw!), but for almost everyone else it seemed that the magic faded before the denim ever had a chance to.

Well, in a bit of nostalgic rapture last night, and flush with cash from selling 10lbs of carnitas at a garage sale, I bought a pair of 150 Encinitas from Double Soul, their last pair in size 29.

Pictures taken from Franklin and Poe, who carries this model up into tag size 36:

C136DED3-C3F8-4628-9B76-E9E9307B823D.thumb.jpeg.a586bb97e31f70e89dba697452bbe8f1.jpeg8F7C5CBB-5FC3-4F5B-B9CD-158A38509FEC.thumb.jpeg.6f84e4cd365b91bc80214534397fe4e4.jpeg

The measurements, finally, look like the sort that might appease the 30s-40s fit crowd: an 11+ inch front rise, roomy thigh and drastic but not completely extreme taper to, in my size, at least, an 8 3/8” leg opening. The waist is still oversized, yes, but for the first time that I’ve seen, Stevenson seems to be really trying to make a truer repro-oriented cut with their signature denim and construction detail.

Measurements also from Franklin and Poe. I’m noting these one-wash measurements are a big larger all around than the ones given by Stevenson on their own website, but assume (and hope) these were done on the actual product.

CB0713AF-01E1-4D78-836C-82441FAAC7D0.thumb.jpeg.e17dbf7b58821f1f91a21b9eaecdd5eb.jpeg

I’ll update further when these arrive in the mail, most likely some time in the next couple weeks. I really want them to live up to my expectations; going back and reading through this thread reminded me of what a special brand this is, and I’d love to be able to properly break in some of their jeans and, for all of these people who had their hopes dashed in the past, perhaps endorse giving them a second look.

I have these and they’re great. I’m glad to have this fabric in a fit with a higher rise and fuller leg. Mine were raw and I hot washed and airdried outside but I'm not sure my waist got down to tag...I've worn them for about 30ish wears. nothing worth taking photos of yet but they're breaking in nicely. 

Edited by youngofthesoonest