Stevenson Overall Company

jaspar

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys, I'm going to be meeting up with Tagaya-san, co-founder of Stevenson Overall Co. next week (August 29th) to do an in-depth interview with him. If you guys have any questions you want answered I could probably work a few of them into the interview.  I'm working on a denim site that will be online in a few weeks and I'm starting out by interviewing a lot of the heavy-hitters in the denim world.  It's all just for fun; I won't be making money or advertising anything.

Anyway, if any of you SOC fans have any burning questions for Tagaya-san, let me know! :)

FW19 is up.

http://www.soc-la.com/collection.php?c=15

Lots to like, but too much overlap with what I already have, so I’m probably not going to get anything this season.  Really like the bomber and the deck jacket and would probably be all over them if I didn’t already have a top notch MA-1 (Buzz) and an N1 (IH).

I might talk myself into that sweater...

I'm into the khaki/tan Trigger shirt, I'm also looking forward to trying one of the raglan merino wool thermals that SE stocked last year.
I also like the Rancher jackets, but I think my girlfriend would kill me if I bought another denim jacket...

• 1 month later...

LOST BUT NOT FORGOTTEN: THE ETHOS BEHIND STEVENSON OVERALL CO.: https://202nekko.com/lost-but-not-forgotten-the-ethos-behind-stevenson-overall-co/

Edited by kiya

• 4 weeks later...

@Broark they’re pretty warm....I’d say it’s a good 7-8. It does have some breathability so i never feel overheated but when i was in ny last winter, it was perfect as a base layer under an over shirt and a jacket. I was worried I’d get too hot when i was inside at restaurants with the heat on but i felt pretty solid most of the time. It only came off after a few drinks but that was less temperature related. 

@Broark I got the dark grey thermal from SE last year, and pretty much a +1 for everything @youngofthesoonest says. Super soft and comfortable, surprisingly versatile across a range of temperatures.

If I wear it on its own, it’s fine for being in the office or generally around town, but starts feeling toasty if I’m somewhere much above 70 degrees for a while. Outside, I just wear that thermal and a denim jacket and I’m good down to 50 or so.

I sometimes wear a t-shirt underneath to help keep it clean, but even that minor extra layer makes the combination a bit too much for the indoors.

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone noticed how their rear pockets where they fold over (interior of the pocket bottom) aren't cut very close to the stitching?  

I've only noticed this on one other pair.. a $35 pair of 501s.  In my opinion this is an overlooked detail most other brands do well.  For whatever reason my pair is missing that close cut.  

The consequence of course is that this extra material fades through.

Edited by givemefive

6 hours ago, givemefive said:

Has anyone noticed how their rear pockets where they fold over (interior of the pocket bottom) aren't cut very close to the stitching?  

I've only noticed this on one other pair.. a $35 pair of 501s.  In my opinion this is an overlooked detail most other brands do well.  For whatever reason my pair is missing that close cut.  

The consequence of course is that this extra material fades through.

I have that on a few other brands/pairs as well. Sugar cane is the offender that comes to mind most easily.  

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Could someone explain to me what goes into "black indigo" vs "indigo" in those coton sweaters? Is that the number of dips, the color of the underlying thread, the concentration of the dye vat,...?

Black indigo: http://www.soc-la.com/item.php?c=1212

Indigo: http://www.soc-la.com/item.php?c=1213

Thanks.

4 hours ago, JDelage said:

Could someone explain to me what goes into "black indigo" vs "indigo" in those coton sweaters? Is that the number of dips, the color of the underlying thread, the concentration of the dye vat,...?

Black indigo: http://www.soc-la.com/item.php?c=1212

Indigo: http://www.soc-la.com/item.php?c=1213

Thanks.

I have this shirt and it is definitely black and fading to grey, not a so-dark-blue-it-looks-black.  It doesn’t smell like rotten eggs, so it isn’t sulfur dyed.  It’s something that fades like indigo but is black and not blue.  Not sure how helpful this is in answering your question.  I, too, would love to know more about how it is done.

1 hour ago, owlofminerva said:

I have this shirt and it is definitely black and fading to grey, not a so-dark-blue-it-looks-black.  It doesn’t smell like rotten eggs, so it isn’t sulfur dyed.  It’s something that fades like indigo but is black and not blue.  Not sure how helpful this is in answering your question.  I, too, would love to know more about how it is done.

Thank you for that. I ordered a similar SOC sweater from Corlection available in "black indigo" and "indigo", and got mine in plain, boring-ol-indigo. It seems I did well. What you're describing sounds like India Black or Indigofera's gunpowder dye.