Stevenson Overall Company

jaspar

Anyone has experience with the shrinkage of the sanforized denim used for the 320 Jackson?
I took advantage of the 20% off sale at Cultizm and had them ship a pair to me. They fit fine except for the waist which is a tad to big. Does it still shrink significantly? I'm asking because they also offer a one-wash version so they probably should be some shrinkage left in the fabric (I als asked them to measure the one-wash pair for me but the more information, the better).

46 minutes ago, beautiful_FrEaK said:

Anyone has experience with the shrinkage of the sanforized denim used for the 320 Jackson?
I took advantage of the 20% off sale at Cultizm and had them ship a pair to me. They fit fine except for the waist which is a tad to big. Does it still shrink significantly? I'm asking because they also offer a one-wash version so they probably should be some shrinkage left in the fabric (I als asked them to measure the one-wash pair for me but the more information, the better).

If it is the same denim that is used on the 340, which I think it is, there wasn't much shrink at all in my pair. It is sanforized I believe. 

The shrinkage is pretty minimal on that denim. If you hot wash and dry, you might be able to get it to shrink a little bit but as you know very well with waists, the end result after stretch will be the same. 

@youngofthesoonest Thanks man!
Yeah it was too risky to give them a hot wash and not be able to return them if they don't fit afterwards. So I returned my rigid pair in size 33 and got a replacement of the 320 in one-wash, same size. They felt noticeably snugger and fit better at the waist. I measured them and it turns out they are not much smaller than the rigid pair but somehow they fit way better and as I aways wear a belt, the stretching back at the waist is hopefully minimal. Especially since there is nearly no pressure.

For reference, here are the measurements I took. Stevenson 320 Jackson size 33 (rigid/one-wash):

Waist: 36.5" / 36"
Front rise: 11.4" / 10.75"
Back rise: 15.5" / 15"
Thigh: 12.5" / 12.25"
Knee: 8.5" / 8.4"
Leg opening: 7.75" / 7.6"
Inseam: 34.75" / 34.75"

The differences can either be from the wash or also from the usual deviations in the production.
I am mostly surprised by the shrinkage in the top block but no shrinkage in the inseam. Not very logical.

FYI - Canoe Club has a few pairs of San Francisco Rigid and La Jolla rigid & washed on sale. 

When I was in their Boulder store a couple of months ago trying on many different pairs, I tried the La Jolla. Since there's a lot of interest in SOC, I was pretty stoked to find some IRL that I could try on, and on sale no less. However, the La Jolla was one of the worst fitted pairs I've ever tried on. Did not work for me at all. 

3 hours ago, mpukas said:

FYI - Canoe Club has a few pairs of San Francisco Rigid and La Jolla rigid & washed on sale. 

When I was in their Boulder store a couple of months ago trying on many different pairs, I tried the La Jolla. Since there's a lot of interest in SOC, I was pretty stoked to find some IRL that I could try on, and on sale no less. However, the La Jolla was one of the worst fitted pairs I've ever tried on. Did not work for me at all. 

I sold my 747's from a year ago, and just recently got a new pair in the other week. I sized down 1 from the last year, waist is still a bit big but I like them and won't be selling this pair.

I'm a 33-34 in pretty much everything, and this pair is a 31. I could easily do a 30 in the 747 (which shows how large the waist is).

15 hours ago, mpukas said:

remotely connected to the posts over in the Samurai thread - Stevenson, so far, has been the most disappointing brand - nothing horrible, but I can't seem to make any of their regular cuts work for me, ether...

alas, one of these day I will try the rest of their cuts and will find a pair I can make work for me.

16 hours ago, mpukas said:

the La Jolla was one of the worst fitted pairs I've ever tried on. Did not work for me at all. 

Yeah, I tried that pair 2 years ago at Vater&Sohn in Hamburg and it also didn't work for me. Like at all. Huge waist, low rise and slim legs. The 737 however are really great so far!
Funnily the Jackson 320 is also based on the La Jolla and it fits me quiet well.

I agree about the weird fits from SOC, I've now only tried two but the 737 is pretty good.
I experience the same issues though, the waist is massive and the leg/rise is just tolerable and couldn't really be any slimmer/lower for my tastes.

• 2 weeks later...

I own two pairs of jeans by Stevenson (plus 4 pairs of pants) and I really like the fit.  My advice:  ignore the waist and focus on getting the other measurements right.  If you’re ok with a low rise jean, there’s a good chance you can make these work.  Maybe it’s my big butt, but I find I don’t strictly need a belt (though I usually wear one).  And the details and denim are truly special.

I'm not sure if this is their reasoning, but I will say this:  these are the only slim fitting, low rise jeans I own that are comfortable to sit down in.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm really looking to get another pair of Stevenson's, but I prefer to stick with the raw unsanforized models. I had a pair of the 714s but the taper was just too much.

I'm a bigger guy, so the thigh width was great, but the leg opening was 7.5" by the time they were done shrinking (on a size 36 pair) and it just didn't work for me. I recently tried the 727 and I think the thighs will be a bit too tight. I checked the measurements of the 737 on Rivet & Hide's site and everything looked doable except I was hoping for a leg opening closer to 8".

Is anyone familiar with their other models to possible recommend something with a decent thigh but some taper below the knee to bring it in closer to 8" on a 35 or 36 sized pair?
Thank in advance.

1 hour ago, elmcitizen said:

I'm really looking to get another pair of Stevenson's, but I prefer to stick with the raw unsanforized models. I had a pair of the 714s but the taper was just too much.

I'm a bigger guy, so the thigh width was great, but the leg opening was 7.5" by the time they were done shrinking (on a size 36 pair) and it just didn't work for me. I recently tried the 727 and I think the thighs will be a bit too tight. I checked the measurements of the 737 on Rivet & Hide's site and everything looked doable except I was hoping for a leg opening closer to 8".

Is anyone familiar with their other models to possible recommend something with a decent thigh but some taper below the knee to bring it in closer to 8" on a 35 or 36 sized pair?
Thank in advance.

Have you looked at the 767 Santa Rosa? It should be closer to what you are looking for. 

Rhino Store is a great resource for the models less commonly carried. 

1 hour ago, elmcitizen said:

Based on what I had read I thought the 767 would be what I was looking for. I'll just need to find a retailer for the US. Looks like SE doesn't carry that model.

Rhino Store JP.

They don't charge tax either and take it off the listed price. 

Cultizm as well, who will not charge VAT if you are in the United States.

Edited by SmokeStackLightning