Stevenson Overall Company

jaspar

No not yet, I almost ordered a pair awhile ago but decided to wait for the modified cut.

Fingers crossed these still land on the 1st.

Yup, they're landing at all stores on the 2nd.

• 2 weeks later...

Some post wash measurements for the size 36 for anyone interested (BiG style):

Waist: 18.25 in.

Front rise: 11 in.

Back rise: 14.75 in.

Thigh: 13.25 in.

Knee: 9 in. 

Hem: 7.5

Inseam: 34 in.

Can't say I'm used to a jean that hugs my calf this much, but doesn't look bad.

I would say the cut actually reminds me of the Joe McCoy 991 with some more room in the thigh and a higher rise.

I'll post fit pics if I can manage to get some decent ones, but here's a shot of the fabric after the wash. Seems like once it hits water it pops a bit more: eLKpiw2.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

has anyone purchased anything of the soc.la site or know a particular rakuten site to buy their jeans. In particular the la jolla or a slimmer pair. Tried searching rakuten but can only find old used baggy models and soc.la site can't seem to buy. Thanks

Because all said and done, for many of us buying from Japan is both cheaper, and simply much more fun.

edit - notably for Europeans buyers where it makes absolutely no sense to buy from the US.

Sigur - I posted some resellers way back as an alternative option for buyers, try and see if you can find it or I'll dig something up. 

Why does it not make sense for Europeans to buy from the US?  (honest question, i'm curious why you think this)

We ship a massive amount of orders to Europe, many times because our prices are lower and the shipping is free.  Also helps that we can hem your jeans and chain stitching machines aren't as common in the EU as they are in the states now.

Edited by kiya

As it stands currently, or at least up until to perhaps a week or so ago, the Yen/Sterling exchange rate was far more favourable then Dollar/Sterling, and factoring in domestic Japan prices even with shipping this simply favoured buying from source. For Europeans, certainly in the UK, import duty applies equally to purchases from US or Japan. Simple equation, you're going to buy from who sells it cheaper.

.. aside from the boring economics though, I actually like the fun off the search, the translating, the e-mail exchanges, the anticipation and the refit of something with foreign matings over the parcel. Simple pleasures of course, but there it is.

Certainly a different matter for shopping domestically within the US - while I know nothing of the Dollar/Yen exchange rate so can't make assumption of favourable pricing etc - the opportunity for returns and associated service would definitely favour buying from within they States for residents, granted. Especially when a buyer is looking into something relatively unknown to them.

That's it, I guess.

Yup, i completely see what you're saying.  We get so many exchanges of jeans from both the US and the EU that i just wonder what all those people that buy the wrong size from Japan do.  I don't see enough of these brands on eBay or in the forums for sale, i'm just assuming a lot of people just keep the wrong size they bought and try again.

Seeking out obscure Japanese online retailers means nothing to me. The only two things I consider are price and quality of service. Once people know what size they are, have experience of certain brands and have done their homework with the information available, they're probably more willing to take a chance with cheaper Japanese retailers, particularly the better known, highly reputable ones.

Until seeing these pictures from Broark and Kiya, Stevenson were on the outskirts of my denim radar. They are now very much advancing closer. Fantastic looking details and really nice evo.

Luckily I am regularly in London so will have the opportunity to try a pair when I next visit Rivet & Hide.

As regards ordering from Japan over US, well, in a situation like this I will (obviously) just pick up from Danny. I have purchased a couple of pairs of Samurai from Japan, purely because there is nowhere in the UK selling with a realistic margin, and once you have added on the postage from BIG for example it is once again just too costly. With Samurai in particular there is such good advice available on this forum that with a bit of effort you can make a decent fist of getting the right size and cut, lowering your risk of needing to sell/exchange. I also really enjoyed the challenge of translating emails in both directions and building a rapport with the store.

If, however it was a less represented brand (such as Stevenson), without such a wealth of advice, fit pics etc, and I did not have the luxury of a UK store to try on, then I would either not bother and look at another brand ( lets face it there's a lot of choice out there), or if it had really got under my skin, then I would happily order from the US (or elsewhere), as long as the mark up was not insane and (thank you selfedge) the postage was included. I would consider the premium fair price for the option to exchange, although with courier and customs fees I would still be a bit pissed if that became necessary.