Best MP3 Player on Mac Besides iPod

fobolous

ipods suck. quality (hardware) and sound suck on them..enough with this apple fanboy crap. i own $6000 worth of their stock and probably won't ever buy an apple product ever again in my life. I cannot support apple retail anymore, shit is overpriced and with a computer science degree, i refuse to buy a computer that has a base price of $1500. It doesn't make sense to me....technology should be for everyone..not contained in a little white box

ipods suck. quality (hardware) and sound suck on them..enough with this apple fanboy crap. i own $6000 worth of their stock and probably won't ever buy an apple product ever again in my life. I cannot support apple retail anymore, shit is overpriced and with a computer science degree, i refuse to buy a computer that has a base price of $1500. It doesn't make sense to me....technology should be for everyone..not contained in a little white box

I was personally interested to see if there specific issues he took with the iPod software / hardware etc... to see if there were something I could point him towards that would perhaps function more to his liking. My newest iPod (old 20 gig died after three years) was a gift, the newest shuffles. It's working for me since I don't mind having to rotate two or three albums out every day, forces me to listen to older stuff I haven't listened to in a while.

I just bought a Pro so I could Bootcamp into Windows, since I prefer OS X but also find myself wishing I had a PC at times. It's like two computers in one. Offsets the price more than enough for me. Then again, your the computer science major, so you would know what's what.

Anyway: what sort of functionality, price, etc... are you looking for, fobolous?

I was personally interested to see if there specific issues he took with the iPod software / hardware etc... to see if there were something I could point him towards that would perhaps function more to his liking. My newest iPod (old 20 gig died after three years) was a gift, the newest shuffles. It's working for me since I don't mind having to rotate two or three albums out every day, forces me to listen to older stuff I haven't listened to in a while.

I just bought a Pro so I could Bootcamp into Windows, since I prefer OS X but also find myself wishing I had a PC at times. It's like two computers in one. Offsets the price more than enough for me. Then again, your the computer science major, so you would know what's what.

Anyway: what sort of functionality, price, etc... are you looking for, fobolous?

My 2nd generation 20gb was a fucking beast. After replacing the battery with one of those 24hr batteries it was amazing. Got a color one, it died multple times, finally the earphone jack gave out on my 20GB.

i fully stand by Creative's mp3 players, i have owned two. why?

because the first one, a 60GB Nomad Zen has lasted from 2001

'til now. It still works. Perfectly. It is in practically brand-new condition

in terms of functionality and sound quality- the only defects are cosmetic.

i never carried this thing in a case by the way- tossed in my coat pocket

or in my messenger bag, no protection whatsoever. and it isnt even

scratched badly... the thing is my idol.

my new Zen Vision feels just as sturdy, sounds perfect with my Shure

headphones, and is easy to use. i can't say that it will take another six

years before i buy another mp3 player, but i'm confident.

My 2nd Gen iPod (10 gig) still has about an 8 hour battery life. I would replace it at this point, but not until it dies. I haven't heard better sound quality from another brand. If you're concerned about audio quality, try buying some decent phones/buds and rip your tunes in lossless format or high bitrate mp4. My advice would be to go with one of the video enabled ones. Or wait for the widescreen iPod to drop (different from iPhone) which it should relatively soon.

wish iaudio worked with macs... their software and playback are an audiophile's dream.

ever since ipod came out ive waited for sony to release an mp3 player worth getting.

still waiting for that day...

im using sony's hd5 thats over a year old and its great. im getting over 24 hours on a charge playing 192+kbs songs. plus the thing is tiny for a hard drive player. the sq (minus any sort of aux eq/amping) is the best ive heard. its like a barebones mp3 player, but at that, it does splendidly. dunno if its mac-patible though.

id also recommend the creatives, but if all the new ones are like the vision:m, then theyre not gonna work on osx.

im using sony's hd5 thats over a year old and its great. im getting over 24 hours on a charge playing 192+kbs songs. plus the thing is tiny for a hard drive player. the sq (minus any sort of aux eq/amping) is the best ive heard. its like a barebones mp3 player, but at that, it does splendidly. dunno if its mac-patible though.

id also recommend the creatives, but if all the new ones are like the vision:m, then theyre not gonna work on osx.

Me too sonic stage still sucks though :/ unfortunatley not mac compatible.(although its Drm has been hacked so if you are a coder with C/C++ you could probably get it to work eventually

wish iaudio worked with macs... their software and playback are an audiophile's dream.

Why wouldn't iaudio work with macs? Their flash based devices are all UMD/UMS (Universal Mass Storage Device) which means that you won't need any special software to use them, just plug them in and transfer files as if it were a thumb-drive. Works with Windows, Linux and OSX. I do not know if their hard drive based players works the same.

But to answer the original question; any UMD/UMS device should work and I have great experience with the audio quality of iaudio and Creative.

/Mattias

Haha, sorry... I was thinking that the JETAUDIO MP3 player (the program for computers that comes and is made by Cowon) wasn't a mac-compatible program. That is a great software but definitely not needed to work the Iaudio.

all other points aside, ipods are still the best design. Almost all of the imitators put out cheap looking or geek-ugly starwars shit.

erm, i thinkl u missed a bit: the best design IN MY OPINION

becasue in my opinion, ipods are nice like vanilla ice cream is nice.

a reverlation the first time you ever saw/tasted it, but the novelty wears off, esp every man and his dog is sporting one

Whoa,

Forgot I posted this, lol.

Basically, I listened to my friend's iPod and compared it to my iRiver H320 and my iRiver H320 beat the hell out of it in sound quality.

I have Shure buds and I just find iPod's audio quality average to say the most.

My H320's battery has deaded on me and I even tried replacing it but I failed (Damn my horrible repairing skills).

I was looking at a Meizu and have lost numerous auctions at the last second (Damn my horrible bidding skills).

my ipods work fine, I use apple lossless format exclusively, and i have a 5g ipod (video) and a 2nd gen nano (for running)... I have pretty highend in-ear-monitors and the SQ is great.

Heh... I had an iAudio Cowon/Cowan X5 whatever you wanna call it and it was amazing, but you need a well organised music collection as ID3 tags don't work with it and also watch the quality of the audio jack, mine wasn't soldered on very well, might be worth getting a case to make sure the headphone jack doesn't move around too much and shift the jack. I wish more DAPs were made of aluminium, and I wish iAudio would sort out their audio jack and a new control system. Try www.iaudiophile.net for further info on that

At the moment I've got a Zen Vision M which I'm very happy with! Has almost all the features I'd want and it's at a nice price.

My brother has an iRiver Clix, absolute beaut of a gadget, great control system, great audio quality, videos look amazing for 15fps, fits in any pocket. 4 gbs is just enough for him to fit in everything he needs. There's a sucessor to the Clix coming out soon enough though...

• 8 months later...

this monster came out already. though it only goes up to 16gb, it has a sd slot, so you could expand 8 gb at a time. more importantly for the OP, it supports AAC.

5352newzencopylq8.jpg

now to go post in every other mp3 thread. im gonna get me one of these once any store has them in stock.