Levi's takes on Japanese Denim Resellers and Manufacturers

kiya

Guest jeffvyain

not that we make up a huge portion of levi's buyers by any means (though we probably do make up a large part of their customer base for their LVC line), but maybe we should start a petition stating that we will boycott their products if they pursue these companies...? if nothing else, at least they'll know that their customers are pissed about this. i, for one, will never buy another Levi's product after this. I'm tempted to burn my 505s right now. they fit like shit anyway.

That would be cool, but I doubt itll really have any effect.. it would be sticking it to them good though

Haha remember that zk guy from HK (or Taiwan, I forget) who owns the denim shop, but has his own collection of repros of all brands, about 300 deadstock pairs.. he could make a fortune down the road selling them haha

Kiya, can you possibly tell us what you're planning to do within the next couple of days? Will you still sell the jeans in question in store/phone/online until Friday? Or are you already in the process of pulling everything from the shelves?

Can Miz or someone from BiG tell us what course of action BiG is following? I would just like to know what we can do at this time. Can we actually get something before Friday or should we just give up on that idea?

Guest jeffvyain
Self Edge is still open and selling contraband until the end of tonight.

...wish i had money.

i was going to sell an API pre-amp that i built on ebay soon and buy a new pair of jeans....

anyone want a preamp?

I want a pair of those S5000BK as well, but Kiya said he didnt have any more in 29. :( Hopefully Gordon will have them... :(

Just called BiG, and no one picked up...and I emailed Gordon 3 hours ago and he hasn't answered my email yet and he answers in less than 10 minutes. I'm panicking!!! Someone give me a hug or some e-peen

Just called BiG, and no one picked up...and I emailed Gordon 3 hours ago and he hasn't answered my email yet and he answers in less than 10 minutes. I'm panicking!!! Someone give me a hug or some e-peen

Kiya told me Gordon will be MIA til like half an hour later (like 5:30 cali time)...

Especially all of the random boutique denim stores throughout Japan......but seriously, that is a goddamn shitload of jeans that are going to go unaccounted for in a couple of days. Who will head up the black market?

Hard Gay.........

Hard Gay is the funniest Japanese dude in the world... period.

it was bound to happen sooner or later. motherfucker. i wish i would have purchased those skulls and sams when i had the chance.

its really too bad levi's has to be dicks about this. couldnt they have given these companies a few weeks or months to ramp down production and give the retailers a chance to liquidate stock? set the date for march or june. its not like any of these companies sell enough jeans to hurt levi's. and if they are cutting into levi's sales at all its only because levi's has consistantly failed to capitalize on their own history (and trademarks) by not making jeans that equal or exceed the quality of the japanese companies.

honestly, i love the levi's arcuate, red tab, and two horse patch but levi's has not made a pair of jeans with these details that rivals what sugarcane, samurai, or sda is doing. lvc quality has not really impressed me and as a company they have not really provided the "repro" niche market with something they can embrace they way these other companies have. these small companies have basically created and nurtured this market while levi's slept and now they want a piece of the pie. if anything these companies were doing levi's a favor by associating their much higher quality product with them and keeping these details relevant for much longer than they would have been. these companies were referencing levi's out of reverance and respect to levi's (and denim) history, not a desire to ride levi's coattails or to rip them off. i mean why not just license these details to some of these companies? assholes. so will the sales of repro jeans w/ these details continue in japan? i can't see how levi's could trump japanese law but who knows.

well, there are a few possible silver linings. one is these beloved japanese companies will have no choice but to change their designs, thereby shedding the "shackles" of cultural reference points they had to levis history. now a pair of sammies will stand on their own without any reference to levis. and japanese denim can finally create its own legacy and identity free of any nod to levi's history. levi's is hurting themselves here i believe. these companies have only solidified and strengthened these indicators and certainly increased the visibity of these details in a positive way, especially to denimheads.

another possible positive result is levis and LVC might actually step up to the plate and start using their beloved "property" to make some kick ass jeans again. capital e has done some good stuff but overall their offerings have been pretty weak. same goes for LVC. the quality has gone down in the past few years and it seems to me they could be doing a whole lot more with their brand. i mean they could easily still be making the best quality jeans in the world and capitalize on their heritage but to my eyes they have largly squandered this opportunity. i have a feeling the quality of LVC may actually get worse because now they will have even less compitition in the repro market.

i think im going to start stitching red tabs and arcuates into all my non levis jeans. actually fuck that. maybe i will just go rip out all the tabs and arcuates from my levi's.

so this is crazy although I cant say that I am suprised. As some one once said before, branding is very important to a company such as Levis. Those red tabs and arcutes are details that the company is built upon. While it will be sad to see such changes...they were inevitable.

Kiya, I wish you the best of luck with everything that is about to happen. Miz, cheers to you as well.

levis is a large company with a lot of power. If they want something to happen, it will. Dont forget that. THEY HAVE THE POWER.

who knows, maybe LVC will step p the quality and create true repros. I for one would love to see that following this legel battle.

another possible positive result is levis and LVC might actually step up to the plate and start using their beloved "property" to make some kick ass jeans again. capital e has done some good stuff but overall their offerings have been pretty weak. same goes for LVC. the quality has gone down in the past few years and it seems to me they could be doing a whole lot more with their brand. i mean they could easily still be making the best quality jeans in the world and capitalize on their heritage but to my eyes they have largly squandered this opportunity. i have a feeling the quality of LVC may actually get worse because now they will have even less compitition in the repro market.

fuck that shit. fuck levis. never again.

im making a "levis are sellouts" shirt.

As a person just starting out in denim this lawsuit seriously angers me. I've been researching and saving up for a nice pair of japanese denim but it seems like no one will ever know how long it will take for the entire japanese denim industry to start up again. Hopefully people will say off the nudie bandwagon...otherwise I can imagine nudie jean co completely dominating the competition. With people mad at levis and no heavy japanese denim as an alternative..who knows what may happen...maybe it's time for me to pick up a pair of APCs.

As for Kiya, I wish you and your store the best of luck. I have yet to stop by Selfedge, even though I do reside in the bay area..shame on me.