Levi's takes on Japanese Denim Resellers and Manufacturers

kiya

I do a lot of consulting work for eCommerce sites, it really doesn't make any sense to have to bring down the entire site to update a line of products... if Amazon did that they would be down all the time... just my 0.02...

I do a lot of consulting work for eCommerce sites, it really doesn't make any sense to have to bring down the entire site to update a line of products... if Amazon did that they would be down all the time... just my 0.02...

I agree with you but on the other hand if the person who is updating it doesn't know what they're doing...

Who gives a fuck, I just called them, they picked up the phone, I placed an order, I hung up, I got on with my life.

But the fact that their website is down could mean the end of japanese denim as we know it, don't you get it???

two things...

levis DOES NOT have all those trademarks in japan.

that first post with the details on what can't be done is a bit over exagerated. last time something big like this came up levis just had rights to the color and position of the tag, the exact leather tag image and the arcuate. I don't even think levis has rights to similar ones (like evisu who has rights to a difference of 15 degrees.) most of these companies are really fucked as far as the pocket tab but should be straight with the leather patch. if I'm correct and the trademark is still just the exact image then they'll be ok because parody laws (for the most part) protect the little guy.

I think the lawsuit could go either way. who knows if and how anyone is even fighting it anyway?

FUCK LEVIS

"Introducing the Levi's® Redwire™ DLX Jean, designed for the on-the-go music lover. Custom iPod® docking cradle is built into a hidden side pocket. A red wire connects cradle to jeans, allowing for visibility of the iPod® without losing connectivity. Retractable headphone unit sits on waistband. White leather joystick controller is integrated into watch pocket, with controls to play, pause, track forward/back and adjust volume."

Truely bewildering. This actually made it into manufacturing. More vapid, lifestyle bullshit. O, fuck Levis 10x.

"Introducing the Levi's® Redwire™ DLX Jean

Instead of this they could try doing what the Japanese brands do. I think I know why they don't... because corporate mentality says make the production costs the lower it gets and the price tag the most people will pay. It's different than making the best product you can for the right price.

Instead of this they could try doing what the Japanese brands do. I think I know why they don't... because corporate mentality says make the production costs the lower it gets and the price tag the most people will pay. It's different than making the best product you can for the right price.

? what do the japanese brands do in relation to ipod-jeans

and yeah, the ipod jean is fucking stupid

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that Levi's is going to jump into the fray and introduce a super premium line to compete with the Japanese companies. I think it would be a rational decision for them to make.

1. They have seen there is a niche market in U.S for "Super Premium Denim" due to the efforts of Gordon, Yuji, and Kiya.

2 Look at Budwieser as a perfect example. Once Sam Adams showed that you could charge over 6.00 USD for a domestic beer they introduce Bud Select. Toyota-Lexus, Honda-Acura. Ralph Lauren Polo-RL Purple Label. Brand segmentation 101. I know Levi's already have LVC but that may become a middle tier or separate tier with the new line sold to the younger non-traditionalist.

3.They already showed an interest in doing a collabo with Self Edge. I don't believe a company as big as Levi's would bother with such a small run unless it was part of a bigger push to enter the rarified air that the Japanese companies occupy.

4. They never pushed on the Japanese companies before because they didn't compete with the typical Levi's consumer. What better way to jump into the market? Kill the Jap repro guys then fill that void themselves.

Just my .02 cents. But I think its a possibility.

okay, im signing out of this one... fed up with people crying.... heres a superstar sum up for all of you haters out there:

- antichrist has been born...

- all purchasers of jap denim will be tossed into the slag pits of the underworld...

- all remaining infringing jeans will be crucified and the pissed on by satan and hitler...

- gap will buy out all remaining jap denim makers as a result of antichrist....

- everyone will soon be dead...

have a nice day... and dont cry about levis beeing righteous...

price points would have me believe that levis thinks its Capital E line is premium

My understanding is that this has been pretty much a dud. Is that correct? And didn't they used to have a silver tab line or something? So I think the time would be right to do something like I stated above.

Keep in mind I know absolutely nothing about the clothing business> I'm just trying to figure out what's going on because I am insanely bored at work today. Mike

seeing as levis buys exclusively from cone now... they would never be able to do a premium line good enough to stand up there with the japanese brands they're trying to weed out. cone is not capable of producing the fabric that would have to be used.

seeing as levis buys exclusively from cone now... they would never be able to do a premium line good enough to stand up there with the japanese brands they're trying to weed out. cone is not capable of producing the fabric that would have to be used.

I'm curious. Why is Cone not capable? Equipment? Raw goods procurement? Skilled workforce? Overall cost to produce in the U. S.?