Help needed on sales in Hong Kong!

beast

Hi!

I may be popping down to Hong Kong shortly. Before Chinese New Year which I believe would be end of January 2006.

What I need to know from locals in Hong Kong in the know like Landy is what is the status of the sales in Hong Kong? ie.

1. If I go to Hong Kong now, would it be last call sales ie 50% off for boutiques and shops like Joyce, IT, Dior Homme, Marc Jacobs, Lane Crawford, Selveredges?

2. Or is it more advisable to go after Chinese New Year where the sales would be better? Or during August? Would the sales then be better?

Thanks for reading this & I hope I can have some great tips soon!

it would be better to go before new years for sales. right now last call and sales are going on to push out last season's stock. there are many sales that go on right before chinese new year because its a tradition that you wear something new on chinese new year day (typically red). i'm not sure stores like dior homme will have a sale, but i'm sure the others will.

chinese new year is a great time to be in HK. everyone's happy and there's so much goin on. i'd go right now if i could.

what? CNY was BORING AS HELL. everything shuts down for like a week. granted i had no family to go to, but i was bored to tears... maybe i had high expectations - firecrackers, parades, etc. - but then i realized firecrackers are illegal (you'll have to go to the new territories to hear some), the fireworks were underwhelming (it was more exciting to see the MASSIVE AMOUNTS OF PEOPLE on the street), and so was the new year's parade. then again CNY is to spend with family so maybe i was just bitter.

what? CNY was BORING AS HELL. everything shuts down for like a week. granted i had no family to go to, but i was bored to tears... maybe i had high expectations - firecrackers, parades, etc. - but then i realized firecrackers are illegal (you'll have to go to the new territories to hear some), the fireworks were underwhelming (it was more exciting to see the MASSIVE AMOUNTS OF PEOPLE on the street), and so was the new year's parade. then again CNY is to spend with family so maybe i was just bitter.

its probably the family thing. when i'm there, i go from massive banquet dinner to banquet dinner with friends and family. yeh the shops shutdown, but you go out at nite bc everyone has a holiday off and they're happy as hell. but yeh family is everything

it would be better to go before new years for sales. right now last call and sales are going on to push out last season's stock. there are many sales that go on right before chinese new year because its a tradition that you wear something new on chinese new year day (typically red). i'm not sure stores like dior homme will have a sale, but i'm sure the others will.

chinese new year is a great time to be in HK. everyone's happy and there's so much goin on. i'd go right now if i could.

Hi!

Am I right to assume that there are sales now and there would be another sale prior to Chinese New Year which would be in middle of February?

yup! when i left HK in the first week of jan, all the big sales were goin on with lane crawford, IT, etc. there's going to be a lull until right before CNY.

Hi!

I should have asked you this in my previous post, but I assume the on going last call sale at 50% off would be a better sale (price wise) than the CNY sale?

BTW I am not particular about the season in which the clothes come in as long as I like it.

Hi!

I should have asked you this in my previous post, but I assume the on going last call sale at 50% off would be a better sale (price wise) than the CNY sale?

BTW I am not particular about the season in which the clothes come in as long as I like it.

yes you can assume that. at least CNY will have sales on NEWER items. everyone wants something new for CNY, its simply tradition.

when i was picking through the lane crawford shit before i left, i really didn't see anything that blew me away. there was some prada, LVC, acme, and tsubi stuff.. but nothin really amazed me. we probably have different tastes though.

yes you can assume that. at least CNY will have sales on NEWER items. everyone wants something new for CNY, its simply tradition.

when i was picking through the lane crawford shit before i left, i really didn't see anything that blew me away. there was some prada, LVC, acme, and tsubi stuff.. but nothin really amazed me. we probably have different tastes though.

Hi!

Thanks for all the info!

As for Lane Crawford, well, admittedly the discounts really aint that great. But the selections are better & wider under one roof & there are sales on some items like Prada that the main stores stopped for some time already.

And the SAs in IFC? Wowee! Worth the time & money just to go there to see them. Really model quality looks!