asians...

dumadiscount

I wouldnt say all chinese nationals, just them damn fukinese. These peeps are everywhere, I hear em yapping "sa ru neh" in tokyo lining up for ps3's and in ny,

haha all the "other" chinese always hating on the fukinese

and i agree somewhat with asians looking for an identity in the U.S. but i also think its a trickle down affect

the japanese have been lining up for everything from Bape to ramen for along time...and since the Japanese are, in my eyes, the style and trend setters in the eastern world as well as worldwide. their style then that trickles into places like Taiwan and Hong Kong and here...but its not so much a trickle anymore but a full fledged flooding, thanks to, u guessed it, the Internet. and no one loves the internet more than asians.......

but its also a circular effect..lots of japanese love the icons of American culture.....Levis, the LatPack, Logger Moore, motorcycles, Elvis, stuff like that....then eat it up...spit it out and create their own products, only better, i.e. all the jeans everyone on this board is wearing, motorcycle "wear" like neighborhood, Nike and the whole co.jp craze which definitely had a hand in leading to the SB craze = dunk craze...and then we as americans buy it back, just like the japanese cars.....

but asians are definitely having a larger say in the designing and creation of this "streetwear" (although not too many people on this board are very fond of) from the Hundreds to Undefeated to Crooks and Castles to Staple and not to even mention the overseas brands and obviuosly the godfather of the street culture HF. So while we line up in droves, we are defintiely have a big influence on this sh*t as well.

so in sum, this street thing is really just a circular, trickle down green house effect

and we are all going to die when that giant piece of iceberg goes slamming into the next Supreme sample sale when they open a store in Topeka Kansas and u see the asian population there multiple by a gazillion...

thats my werd!~

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So while we line up in droves, we are defintiely have a big influence on this sh*t as well.

so in sum, this street thing is really just a circular, trickle down green house effect

and we are all going to die when that giant piece of iceberg goes slamming into the next Supreme sample sale when they open a store in Topeka Kansas and u see the asian population there multiple by a gazillion...

thats my werd!~

I blame it all on Dunkin, he's at every line up

maybe we need to all just go back to our roots and wear hanboks, kimonos, etc...then we can stop lining up for box tees and nikes made by our cousins back home.

fyi: i love white women. i love black women. i love hispanic women.

...asian women stopped appealing to me once i looked at every single one and started to think that they looked like someone who should be my sister. jeeez..miko lee even looks like my mom.

I wouldnt say all chinese nationals, just them damn fukinese. These peeps are everywhere, I hear em yapping "sa ru neh" in tokyo lining up for ps3's and in ny,
I blame it all on Dunkin, he's at every line up

this is true........but you da best spoona..and u know how i love a good spooning.......

and liberation...hook me up with your moms O =

maybe we need to all just go back to our roots and wear hanboks, kimonos, etc...then we can stop lining up for box tees and nikes made by our cousins back home.

fyi: i love white women. i love black women. i love hispanic women.

...asian women stopped appealing to me once i looked at every single one and started to think that they looked like someone who should be my sister. jeeez..miko lee even looks like my mom.

dude, that's how i feel. can't be dating someone that looks my sis. i've been told, my sis is pretty hot:)

AZN PRIDE. got rice, bitch? heh.

Perhaps my sarcasm meter isn't detecting your attempt at sarcasm. Somehow, I think it's working just fine though, and your statement sounds... just really stupid.

How can anyone be taken seriously when they say something like this? Who is your target audience? Would you say this to some guy at a bar? Or a girl? Is it something you'd say at the end of an argument as a last stab to try to win it?

What, exactly, does this mean? And what would be the appropriate response???

Filipinos aren't really asians though. j/k. heard that somewhere.

Heard that too. Supposedly, we're "Pacific Islanders". Of course, try telling them (us) that. It's an uphill battle.

Heard that too. Supposedly, we're "Pacific Islanders". Of course, try telling them (us) that. It's an uphill battle.

Really detest that question. Was it like some pathetic attempt at exclusivity or something? Technically speaking, isnt Japan pacific islands and arent the Japanese pacific islanders as well? Continentally speaking, Filipinos ARE asians.

haha. i dated a philipino girl one time. it was like dating her whole family. lol.

Based on what I've noticed(in the 23 or so years I've been in the Philippines), Filipinos by nature like to showoff and impress people. They(we) put a lot of weight on first impressions and appearances, that is why they would buy the latest mobilephone models even if they have barely enough to feed their families. Oh when I say families, it includes everybody from the uncle of their mother's cousin to the nephew of their grandfather's brother's son.

I have to disagree. I lived in Singapore for 7 years, and these chinese nationals are blue collar types who come from a rougher background and thus, have little understanding of higher social values.

However, those who are employed by coporations in office desk jobs, and mostly from places like Shanghai/ Beijing, tend to be much more amicable people.

I was talking to a fellow college student who was shanghainese and he admitted that chinese nationals of lower backgrounds have boorish attitudes.

On another note, japanese are one of the most polite people I have ever met.

and lastly, Lucy Liu is hot (I'm asian). Miko Lee looks like a bulldog with breast implants.

I never got the "pacific islander" part. Filipinos are more related to Thai and Vietnamese, than the Maori / Polynesians, who are true pacific islanders.

I agree, Singapore is very lucky to have a thriving middle class society as compared to China where the gap between the higher and lower class is getting worse. The media keeps highlighting all these suddenly rich Chinese from Shanghai and Beijing when the fact is this group doesn't represent majority of the Mainland Chinese population, I don't think they even reach 10%.

For the Mainland blue collar workers, you really can't blame them for the way they act, that's the result of more than a few decades of poverty and hardship.

With no disrespect to Singapore, the place and people are great but for a country will such a diverse racial mix, there are lots of unspoken biases/discrimination between the different races from the Chinese, Malays, Indians and even those who came here to work like Filipinos and Indonesians to name a few.

I think I'm straying a bit from the topic. I apologize.

Really detest that question. Was it like some pathetic attempt at exclusivity or something? Technically speaking, isnt Japan pacific islands and arent the Japanese pacific islanders as well? Continentally speaking, Filipinos ARE asians.

yeah, for reals. i don't know why other asians get on Fili's? some of the coolest peeps i know.

its not miko lee that really does anything for me, i just want to hook up with someones mom

and lucy lui is cute...something about asian girls with freckles........

uh oh, theres my desire to be white again.....

asian guy dating white girl, does that make him half an asian or something?

I see your point but you're sort of ignoring historical accounts and you're harping on the word "Pacific Islander" (which means Polynesian, Maori, etc). It is historically accurate to say that the Japanese population originated in China. It is not historically clear whether or not "Pacific Islander" cultures populated the Philippines. Think Hawaii vs. Japan if it helps.

^i thought filipinos eat dogs...

Yes some do, same for China. They have some pretty crazy food over there, monkey's brain anybody?

^and unborn chicken fetuses....

That would mean I'm half asian and halfway on the road to total whitie assilmilation.

It's not chicken but duck ;)

I see your point but you're sort of ignoring historical accounts and you're harping on the word "Pacific Islander" (which means Polynesian, Maori, etc). It is historically accurate to say that the Japanese population originated in China. It is not historically clear whether or not "Pacific Islander" cultures populated the Philippines. Think Hawaii vs. Japan if it helps.

Assuming my past history classes were on point, there's very few people who can really say they are pure Filipino save for the Aetas. Most of us are a mix of Spanish and Chinese heritage. However it has be said that Aetas the original 'Filipinos' came from somewhere south near the Malaysia-Indonesia region.

the adoption of western culture by first/second gen asians in north america is less about an appropriation or attempt to fit in than an actual naturalization of LIVING in north america. the second-gen asians in toronto are one of two types:

1) wearing LRG and roca for the same reason white dudes wear it - because hip-hop is dominant in n. american youth culture

2) wearing club monaco, gap, and other non-descript mall brands, because mall culture is dominant in n. america.

i'd wager a guess that asians of the superfuturian/hypebeast persuasion either nurture their materialism through first-gen parents with class aspirations, or have family, visit reguarly, or have close ties with hong kong, shanghai, tokyo, singapore, etc, all places where streetwear is the norm (the asian version of the n. american, roca-wearing kid in some californian suburb).

i'd wager a guess that asians of the superfuturian/hypebeast persuasion either nurture their materialism through first-gen parents with class aspirations, or have family, visit reguarly, or have close ties with hong kong, shanghai, tokyo, singapore, etc, all places where streetwear is the norm (the asian version of the n. american, roca-wearing kid in some californian suburb).

wow hit the nail on the head

the adoption of western culture by first/second gen asians in north america is less about an appropriation or attempt to fit in than an actual naturalization of LIVING in north america. the second-gen asians in toronto are one of two types:

1) wearing LRG and roca for the same reason white dudes wear it - because hip-hop is dominant in n. american youth culture

2) wearing club monaco, gap, and other non-descript mall brands, because mall culture is dominant in n. america.

+1, not that I can relate in any way, shape or form, I'm so white bourgeois intellectual Michael Haneke's producers probably have my picture in their office thinking: "I can't believe this is our market, ugh"

speaking of the azn head of hair, I've got a horrible case of that now. My hair has the tendancy to turn into a huge thick black ball of hair so i end up looking like a microphone. Neeeeeed a triiiiiiim.

corned beef, don't you live in chicago? they've got a chinatown there. go see if someone will cut your hair for you. ray at urban roots does a fantastic job. even though i live in this godforsaken-asian-hair-hellhole, i make it a point to go down there and get my hair razored, asian-style.

bingo.

i visit singapore + tokyo + hong kong roughly once a year

taiwan + shanghai in near sight...