asians...

dumadiscount

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

speaking of the azn head of hair, I've got a horrible case of that now. My hair has the tendancy to turn into a huge thick black ball of hair so i end up looking like a microphone. Neeeeeed a triiiiiiim.

this is the phenomenon know as chi-fro. i just try not to wash mine very often and wear lots of hats. ive had very interesting results and very disaterous results. its a fun to never know if you hairs gonna look cool or stupid.

I'm about to write a paper about this actually.

In my opinion, it's a search for cultural identity in America.

As we here at ST, we understand that Japanese are innovators of many fashion styles and trends. However, this is not apparent to the billions of people that do not see Asians as so.

Therefore, these hypebeasts lining up at Supreme are predominantly Asian because without the shoes and hats and clothes, they would not have a unique cultural niche in society.

Let's take white people for example. Stereotypically, we think of American Eagle or Abercrombie with flip flops or Superstars.

Black people now. Stereotypically speaking: baggy jeans, tall tee and a fitted T with all white Air Force Ones or Jordans.

Asian people (IN AMERICA I must add)... hmm....

Also I think that's why Asians have adopted this "urban" style (baggy jeans, LRG, fitted hats, Jordans, SB's, etc) because even though it's sort of biting off of "black" people's style, it gives them an identity.

The same can be said about Asians who wear all Abercrombie or AE. They dress like white people and say they are "white-washed" and therefore re-emphasizing the point that this is not their cultural style.

Please note that I am Asian and do not mean to offend any races with this post. I have friends of all races and discuss this matter normally with them.

Thoughts?

i think your paper will suck. stereotypes arent proof of anything, and even your stereotypes seem contrived. if you submitted that paper to me i would give it back to you after reading the first 50 words. theres defiantely an argument to be found about asians in north america lacking cultural identity but your way off base with these assumptions that are made largely on stereotypes maybe only you beleive to be true.

whites---> 50% mental, 50% physical

blacks---> 100% physical

yellows---> 100%mental

shit what about the browns?

either i'm an idiot, or i'm wasting a hell of a lot of money on college but your racial breakdown is absurd, but excuse me if i'm getting the wrong impression from this.

i'm "black" and i'm also as thin as a nail (diminishing any "physical" characteristics/advantages you speak of) and I also attend one of the nations' top schools. I owe none of my achievements to my physical being whatsoever, so please cease with the blanket statements.

I know and have observed boundless amounts of people who weigh out of your ingenious breakdown, and if you don't, I suggest you get out more.

peace

Perhaps my sarcasm meter isn't detecting your attempt at sarcasm. Somehow, I think it's working just fine though, and your statement sounds... just really stupid.

How can anyone be taken seriously when they say something like this? Who is your target audience? Would you say this to some guy at a bar? Or a girl? Is it something you'd say at the end of an argument as a last stab to try to win it?

What, exactly, does this mean? And what would be the appropriate response???

Oh I first hear that from tiemyshoe the Asian (or maybe Cantonese American) rapper.

Take it easy.

i think your paper will suck. stereotypes arent proof of anything, and even your stereotypes seem contrived. if you submitted that paper to me i would give it back to you after reading the first 50 words. theres defiantely an argument to be found about asians in north america lacking cultural identity but your way off base with these assumptions that are made largely on stereotypes maybe only you beleive to be true.

I am not writing this paper for a class, rather a paper for general knowledge and opinion. A statement perhaps if you would like to call it that.

I am well aware that it is impossible to create fact through opinion and stereotypes due to the subjectivity of each.

And I am writing this paper on ONE ASPECT of cultural identity in America. I am not basing the entire fact off fashion, rather, a part that contributes toward the perception of Asians-Americans.

In all seriousness, I think what hasn't been touched upon in this thread on what makes Asians hypebeasty is this;

1: Confucian/group thinking that causes Asian people to follow the trends. It's also what allows tons of people to get together and do the same stupid thing or wear the same things without feeling weird about it. If a trend blows up in an Asian country, you'll see everyone from toddlers to grandmas wearing it. People live on top of each other over here, we're all packed in like sardines. If someone catches you wearing your $500 jeans and calls you out on it, you usually gotta expect 5 people will come back the next week with the same thing so they can make sure you know that people are in the same class as you. Jealousy and all of these things go hand in hand with the proclivity to be hypebeasty.

2. Asian people don't like to half-ass shit, as I've gathered. They either do it or they don't. Usually that means geeking out on something and thinking it's normal. White people think it's OCD, Asian people just call it having an interest in something. Look at Ryu; to most, his collection and knowledge of denim is totally nuts, it's been blown up to mythical proportions on ehre, but he probably just considers it a hobby along with the rest of his hobbies. I've played guitar for like 15 years, but when I come to Asia I'm always embarrassed because I must play like 2% of what these Asian guys do. When they say they do something, they really go all out.

This is kind of my perspective from the Asian side of things, but it rubs off well on the 2nd gens. 1st gen moms usually raise their 2nd gen kids to dress well, to max out on their appearance, more so than white America does.

in addition, something that I see a link to is the Asian-American culture of the toys, comics, collectable shit, and also import cars tuning. All of those were originally Asian-American cultures that we kind of superficially made our identity during the '90s as our excuse for differentiating ourselves from white people. Of course it all trickles together, but streetwear and stuff is just one of these small OCD elements in the average Asian kids life.

ahaha I got a B in Calc 1 and a C+ in Calc 2.

and i don't necessarily agree with dismalfuture's assessment of the asian mentality. at least as far as i'm concerned, i tend to start something then stop fast. I'll start a sentence and halfway through find myself lacking the energy, perseverance, or will to even complete that thought...

I don't necessarily think that asian people want to become another nationality but rather its just what interests them and they do it to the fullest. You can say the same thing about white people trying to be black. They start trying to talk ebonics and rock jerseys. There are black people who try to act white not trying to offend but look at Al Roker.

just my 2 cents

I see your point but you're sort of ignoring historical accounts and you're harping on the word "Pacific Islander" (which means Polynesian, Maori, etc). It is historically accurate to say that the Japanese population originated in China. It is not historically clear whether or not "Pacific Islander" cultures populated the Philippines. Think Hawaii vs. Japan if it helps.

The Malay people populated the Philippines.

From wikipedia.com

There are usually two school of thoughts at the origins of the Malay people.

The first one is that the Austronesian-speaking ancestors of the Malays came from mainland Asia, settled around southern Vietnam, Indochina, the Malay peninsula and sailed towards the Malay archipelago until reaching the Philippines.

The other is that Austronesian-speakers from southern China sailed towards Taiwan. From there, they reached the northern Philippine island of Luzon and eventually spread southwards to the rest of the island group and reached Indonesia and the Malaysia with some outliers reaching sothern Vietnam and Indochina.

However there is another emerging school of thought that says that the Malays originated from Sumatra and then expanded outwards including into the peninsula which today bears their name. The main foundation of this school of thought lies in the fact that the oldest Malay settlements have been discovered in Sumatra and not in the Malay peninsula. This suggests an upward - south to north - migratory route. This opinion thus contends that if the Malays had came from the north - whether from the way of Indochina or Luzon - then the oldest Malay historical relics would be found in these places.

Either way. We're Asian.

I suck at math, I do better in humanities. I'm Christian and I don't follow Confucianism.

Please, I'm all about being PC but let's not be delusional -- stereotypes are not random anomalies. Fine, what the individual stereotype says may not be exactly true but it's not like they magically appeared out of no where from a fluke incident with no relationship to to what the stereotype is commenting on. I would be very interested in reading his whole paper before dismissing it. The process of looking for meaning IN stereotype is a valid endeavor, if not the acceptance OF the actual stereotype. As my favorite tongue in cheek line from Avenue Q goes (from the song Everyone's a Little Bit Racist) "Ethnic jokes may be uncouth, but you laugh because they're based on truth" :-)

Please, I'm all about being PC but let's not be delusional -- stereotypes are not random anomalies. Fine, what the individual stereotype says may not be exactly true but it's not like they magically appeared out of no where from a fluke incident with no relationship to to what the stereotype is commenting on. I would be very interested in reading his whole paper before dismissing it. The process of looking for meaning IN stereotype is a valid endeavor, if not the acceptance OF the actual stereotype. As my favorite tongue in cheek line from Avenue Q goes (from the song Everyone's a Little Bit Racist) "Ethnic jokes may be uncouth, but you laugh because they're based on truth" :-)

thing is though, i completely agree with you. id go as far to say that alot of sterotypes are based in truth. however, i dont think the stereotypes he was basing his argument on were valid even as stereotypes. saying that the thug image is a representation of black stereotype is reaching. that borders on racism. if it were more specific, like say, urban black youth, then i might be able to agree a little. but throwing all black people into that pigeonhole, even though its a generalization is sloppy. the same goes for white people equating to abercrombie or asians to hype beasts. alot of asian people i know are obsessed with very different styles and would veiw streetwear as ugly, pointless and excessive but would still fall all over other useless shit like deisel, parasuco and whatever other wack shit you want to hate on. i guess theres just so much subculture going on right now that its stupid to asign a dresscode to a race when sterotyping. look at emo/mall punk. thats a significant part of youth culture that is generally white but bleeds into all races. so is skate/streetweat and hip hop clothing. i think his paper, for a number of reasons, is pointless because pop culture has blurred the lines between ethnicity and culture and become so generic that sterotyping is obsolete.

either i'm an idiot, or i'm wasting a hell of a lot of money on college but your racial breakdown is absurd, but excuse me if i'm getting the wrong impression from this.

i'm "black" and i'm also as thin as a nail (diminishing any "physical" characteristics/advantages you speak of) and I also attend one of the nations' top schools. I owe none of my achievements to my physical being whatsoever, so please cease with the blanket statements.

I know and have observed boundless amounts of people who weigh out of your ingenious breakdown, and if you don't, I suggest you get out more.

peace

hate to break it to you, holmes. but your wrong. the great white scientists have decided that they are the perfect balance while us asians are too smart and not strong enough, while your dark bredren are too strong and dumb. thems the brakes, yo. didnt you know that really obsene generalizations is the only way to know anythign about other people/culture/ethnicities? fuck getting out more, you need to spend more time on the internet, reading more threads like this.

UNGOWA!