Random Thoughts...

fade to black2

nsync, backstreet boyz, 98degrees

+

i listen to whatever i feel like listening to at any given time

lately the rolling stones a lot, a lot of shitty remixes of rap songs because they're fun, some indie stuff (but less so lately), hip hop, a lot of classic rock that dolly's got me back into (queen and GNR), and yes, the odd avril or MCR track (that black parade shit is actually really fucking good)

oh yes, also i love justin timberlake

they say "it's bliss" :cool::cool::cool:

love, love will keep us together

think of me babe whenever

some sweet talking girl comes along singing her song

don't mess around,

you gotta be strong

just stop *stop*, cuz I really love you

stop *stop*, I'll be thinking of you

look in my heart and let love keep us togethaaaaa

well, it really depends on what you want to call them genre-wise. and additionally, i'm referring to them as a band. i'm definitely not thinking panda bear, avey tare, geologist, etc. are individually the most innovative over the past 10 years, but together they have made more success pushing the boundaries in acoustic-electronic-sample based-experimental-shoegaze-etc. etc. all rolled into one.

i would admit that to others it may seem that i give them too much credit, and i'm not gonna debate that. but "unnatural," "forced," or "phony?" that's absurd. how are they unnatural, forced or phony? as far as i'm concerned, there were no animal collective-esque artists/bands before animal collective. others may have done their different parts, but animal collective brought their own minute style pieces to a broader picture. my only reasoning behind this opinion and lofty statement would be that it would be fairly impossible (if not incredibly hard) to state where (musically) animal collective took their inspiration.

Calm down there. I didn't mean for operation jake to go a-wol.

One time I saw them live and they sucked.

I also am not particularly fond of their music in general.

Panda Bear's solo stuff is better, at least, from the little bit I've heard.

Saw them live, too. And yeah, the hot hair was the only thing that lifted my spirits, if anything else. Crap. Panda bear is crap, too.

edit: oh, i can understand the dislike with animal collective and all, but i've been listening to all different kinds of experimental for quite a while. i started with animal collective with their hollinndagain album and i like them too much to buy into the more recent hype and nods they get from mainstream everything.

C'mon now. There's a big, ugly, dismal, mediocre, uninspired, trendy, clique-competitive world of "experimental" baaaahhhhhhhds out there for us to namedrop all day to give whatever argument we're propping up some faux-credibility. However, credibility is easy to achieve here in the moment but when the zeitgeist dies off and your music stands alone it's going to be defined as either honest and expressive, making it fresh, or cliche and pre-determined, making it period music.

This is period music. And I don't want to kick off a Wagner vs Brahms debate but... Often with them I feel bland hipsterisms (the sign of the times), but at the same time well-executed with technical [recording] skill. A kind of virtuosity and schlock-of-the-new(ish). Maybe lacking in conceptual or expressive clarity and true depth (relatively). Maybe I'm biased though. I tend to float towards a more absolute form. With that said, they're relatively good. They're smarter than most baaaaaaahhhhhhnds and for what that's worth, hurray. But if you want to elevate your argument by saying that you embrace "experimental" music and boast a critical perception of such, can we please stop thinking in terms of baaaaaaahhhhhhnds and "experimentalism" as stylistic exercise like this type of argument almost always descends into? I'm not trying to come across as a jerk, but I'd love to really talk music without somebody's head exploding.

I remember for a while there was a thread where Matsu and some other people were talking about doing a SUFU soulseek or other medium music swap..!

I forget... Anyway, let's do that again.

food network is my tv channel of choice. especially diners drive ins and dives. that tgi friday guy has my dream job.

fuck that fat, excited piece of shit. i literally salivate to a strong 98% of the items they make on that show and i could use the trans fats a whole shitload more than him. i've never craved so many different food items in a matter of 30 minutes than whenever i watch "triple d" as that joey-fatone-plus-10-years-and-80-pounds looking bitch calls it.

xavier

you seem to have some pretty strong feelings about a band you care so little about i

take it you have studied a great deal of their discography?

non-threatening, but also curious as to what you listen to. the other two jokers didn't want to play, perhaps third time's a charm?

Calm down there. I didn't mean for operation jake to go a-wol.

Saw them live, too. And yeah, the hot hair was the only thing that lifted my spirits, if anything else. Crap. Panda bear is crap, too.

C'mon now. There's a big, ugly, dismal, mediocre, uninspired, trendy, clique-competitive world of "experimental" baaaahhhhhhhds out there for us to namedrop all day to give whatever argument we're propping up some faux-credibility. However, credibility is easy to achieve here in the moment but when the zeitgeist dies off and your music stands alone it's going to be defined as either honest and expressive, making it fresh, or cliche and pre-determined, making it period music.

This is period music. And I don't want to kick off a Wagner vs Brahms debate but... Often with them I feel bland hipsterisms (the sign of the times), but at the same time well-executed with technical [recording] skill. A kind of virtuosity and schlock-of-the-new(ish). Maybe lacking in conceptual or expressive clarity and true depth (relatively). Maybe I'm biased though. I tend to float towards a more absolute form. With that said, they're relatively good. They're smarter than most baaaaaaahhhhhhnds and for what that's worth, hurray. But if you want to elevate your argument by saying that you embrace "experimental" music and boast a critical perception of such, can we please stop thinking in terms of baaaaaaahhhhhhnds and "experimentalism" as stylistic exercise like this type of argument almost always descends into? I'm not trying to come across as a jerk, but I'd love to really talk music without somebody's head exploding.

I remember for a while there was a thread where Matsu and some other people were talking about doing a SUFU soulseek or other medium music swap..!

I forget... Anyway, let's do that again.

i'm looking through this post to find any form of argument instead of attempted belittling or pseudo-insult, which i totally don't mind (0), but this is what i see: "this is period music."

yes, it is period music. i agree with you. i'm only trying to say, i like it because i consider it pretty damn innovative. (oh, i wasn't trying to elevate my argument by saying "i'm into the whole experimental deal," i was merely trying to say "i've been into it before it started becoming a fad." this stated only for the sake of knowing that i was into animal collective before the hype and will be after the hype.)

case closed.

but a soulseek swap would be good. veryyy good. i bet i have some gems (or could get quite a few) that sufu has either never heard of and would like, or would at least be interested in. i think we really need to state quite clearly what we're "into" though (genres and such).

xavier

you seem to have some pretty strong feelings about a band you care so little about i

non-threatening, but also curious as to what you listen to. the other two jokers didn't want to play, perhaps third time's a charm?

That's stupid. Plenty of people listen to a wide variety of music.. Operationjake just wants them to list bands so they list a band or two he dislikes or leaves a band out so he can say "see, you just don't understand". Also, listing a few bands doesn't tell you much about the person. Especially when some of us have gigantic music libraries.

I made a chat room in soulseek called "superfuture." There you go.

I only have a fraction of my music on my computer as most of it's on my external harddrive (my laptop has shitty hd space). I'm glad others use soulseek as well though.

That's stupid. Plenty of people listen to a wide variety of music.. Operationjake just wants them to list bands so they list a band or two he dislikes or leaves a band out so he can say "see, you just don't understand". Also, listing a few bands doesn't tell you much about the person. Especially when some of us have gigantic music libraries.

how is that stupid? i asked to see what other music he was into, not to judge. don't make assumptions.

i genuinely want to know why a band like the collective would catch so much shit. they just kind of float around the atmosphere, i don't even notice them. ahhhh i guess if u ain't gettin hated on, u ain't doin shit...

xavier

I used to really like them. Then I got a job and a woman. I've since lost both and descended into bitter personal attacks on people I do not know.

Hi! I read like R.L. Stein. Let's talk republicanism.

More silly hoohaw from the chernobyl-face who negged me for crying about the Polar Bear. Put up.

i'm looking through this post to find any form of argument instead of attempted belittling or pseudo-insult, which i totally don't mind (0), but this is what i see: "this is period music."

yes, it is period music. i agree with you. i'm only trying to say, i like it because i consider it pretty damn innovative. (oh, i wasn't trying to elevate my argument by saying "i'm into the whole experimental deal," i was merely trying to say "i've been into it before it started becoming a fad." this stated only for the sake of knowing that i was into animal collective before the hype and will be after the hype.)

case closed.

but a soulseek swap would be good. veryyy good. i bet i have some gems (or could get quite a few) that sufu has either never heard of and would like, or would at least be interested in. i think we really need to state quite clearly what we're "into" though (genres and such).

I wasn't attacking you, m'man. I was just rambling. Trying to be the jerk. Don't take it personally, Jakesnake. I'm actually listening to some Animal Collective right about now. It's still really lame.

If we want to do it for a set amount of time we can. My laptop needs an extra fan that plugs into one usb cord and the touchpad doesn't work so i need the mouse. I can only share for a little bit before my computer gets too hot with the external hd plugged in. I'll join to share the bit of music i have. It's mainly a few albums i pulled for certain situations like making people copies or whatever.

uh what? why are you assuming that i want them to list bands and pull an ebert and roeper on their style? first thinking i read pitchfork, and now this. man, you don't know me :D.

if you're referring to the post where i said we should clearly state the genres we're into, that's merely so if mr. xavier says, "i like underground hiphop and a little bit of coltrane era jazz," i can goes, "dood! i have some stuff you would like." whereas if servo said, "i enjoy japanese range-tonal/ambience music," i'd go, "i don't have anything he'd like (unless you're down with light merzbow or any kitaro)."

i'm not about to pull a bitch move on some dude's music, but i am for sure not afraid to defend my music because i feel i have a somewhat extensive knowledge of the music i like (especially for a 17 year old). hating on others' music is not my thing, because if you think about it, it sorta defeats the whole quality and purpose of music.

and xavier, no worries man, i'm not taking it as an "attack" or personal, but if you're gonna be the jerk, back it up. :P