Random Thoughts...

fade to black2

There are many geeks on this site. Give us details!

Well, it's a Toshiba laptop from 2008. Runs on Vista. (That's all the info I know about it- it's actually my sister's.) When I turn it on, it shows the booting-up Toshiba screen, then it goes black and just shows a white blinking underscore in the upper left hand corner. That's all it will do!

Usually I'm pretty decent with computers but this has me stumped :confused:

ke1, I'll try posting there too! Thank you.

holy shit.

so i totally forgot about an account i set up for stock investments years ago.

My predictions were spot on: 300%, 70 and 25% returns on all investments. Looks like my family's getting some nice presents this year.

every UC except riverside and merced. saftey first (since I don't want to go to city college then transfer). I am comp engineering/sciences and/or infotech/communications

plan minor in polysci

wait are you guys all transfers? I'm a senior in hs (yes i am nub)

im a mechanical engineering major / transfer student and applied to csulb, cal poly pomona, ucb, ucla, uci, ucsd.

Two big exams today.

Studied for one a bit more because I expected it to be harder than the other based on the last round of exams.

Ended up being the other way around...

what's the hate on UCSD

UCSD is socially dead. (3) There's not much to do around campus, and if you're fortunate enough to have a car/have a friend who has a car, then you open up your options a little more.

UCSD is fucking beautiful man. Weather, woman, scenery, s'all good. The famous cliffs near the campus alone are worth going for.

You obviously don't know what you're talking about.

yeah UCSD is beautiful. the proximity to the beach is ridiculously close. weather is great year-round. we're known for triton eye though, where everyone bitches about how ugly everyone else is.

I don't think UCSD is all that great looking. The trees look like shit and the overall aesthetics of the buildings aren't wowing me at all. I suppose the newer buildings (housing/hospitalitiies, ERC, Rady) look a little better, but it still doesn't really make up for the rest of the campus.

I dunno about you, but the weather's been sucking. Towards the end of october or something we were hitting 100+ degrees. Then it fucking rains for days the next week after. It's a lot colder than it was last year and I'm guessing it'll be a lot hotter than usual come spring. On a side note, I'm not much of a beach person (maybe that's why I don't LOVE UCSD).

9 out of 10 girls are hot in san diego.

The tenth one goes to ucsd.

This is true.

i took it my first year at school. i thought it was pretty easy at first, then as i moved on in the series, it got harder and harder. the TAs sign faster and faster, and you're expected to comprehend almost everything they say. my suggestion is to keep up with the vocab and to practice it pretty much daily, either with classmates or someone who's fluent in ASL. you could also work on your finger spelling as you walk around spelling out random words you see.

I couldn't imagine living in San Diego without access to a car.

Well, we have free access to a couple of bus routes, but you gotta have a monk's patience if you want the socal public transportation to be your main method of getting around town.

Well, we have free access to a couple of bus routes, but you gotta have a monk's patience if you want the socal public transportation to be your main method of getting around town.

Are you guys kidding? A friend of mine transferred into UCSD from some Taiwanese university, kid rode his bike everywhere, never had a car. Its easy to get from La Jolla downtown in <1 hour by bicycle, and everything is accessible via bike, not to mention, most people are pretty chill about bicyclists in San Diego.

I used to bike down from UCSD to Black's with a surfboard, and a lot of my friends did the same. Beach cruiser + surfboard. That was hilarious in high winds.

As for UCSD's social scene – It's what you make of it. For all of you bitching about it being 'socially dead', go make some friends in the sororities/fraternities, hang out with the DJs & Vinylphiles Club and learn to spin, go surfing and snowboarding with UCSD Board Club/Surf Club, or just drink with the Koala if you're still desperate. I think a lot of your problems have to do with your own faults and inabilities to make friends. Don't blame the campus for your own faults. It is what it is, good luck changing that.

Hell, if you have yellow fever, go join MASA, they have tons of asian girls running around if that's your thing.

Well, it's a Toshiba laptop from 2008. Runs on Vista. (That's all the info I know about it- it's actually my sister's.) When I turn it on, it shows the booting-up Toshiba screen, then it goes black and just shows a white blinking underscore in the upper left hand corner. That's all it will do! .

sounds like your OS is fucked. hit f8 on boot and click "fix startup issues" or something. if that doesn't work, try system restore from the same menu. if it still doesn't work, back up your data externally and reinstall the OS.

/comptech

Are you guys kidding? A friend of mine transferred into UCSD from some Taiwanese university, kid rode his bike everywhere, never had a car. Its easy to get from La Jolla downtown in <1 hour by bicycle, and everything is accessible via bike, not to mention, most people are pretty chill about bicyclists in San Diego.

I used to bike down from UCSD to Black's with a surfboard, and a lot of my friends did the same. Beach cruiser + surfboard. That was hilarious in high winds.

As for UCSD's social scene – It's what you make of it. For all of you bitching about it being 'socially dead', go make some friends in the sororities/fraternities, hang out with the DJs & Vinylphiles Club and learn to spin, go surfing and snowboarding with UCSD Board Club/Surf Club, or just drink with the Koala if you're still desperate. I think a lot of your problems have to do with your own faults and inabilities to make friends. Don't blame the campus for your own faults. It is what it is, good luck changing that.

Hell, if you have yellow fever, go join MASA, they have tons of asian girls running around if that's your thing.

I drive between downtown / hillcrest and encinitas (del mar in particular) several times a week on account of friends (but more importantly family in particular my grandmother) so that's what I'm talking about. Public transportation between Hillcrest / Downtown / University Heights / etc... is fairly easy and I bike over to OB from downtown / hillcrest all the time. Haven't biked over to La Jolla before.

I can say I've done most of those things aside from DVC and MASA. Yes, there are opportunities out there and it IS what you make of it, but in comparison to other campuses I still consider this campus to be dead. I think it stems from the nature of the students. I've heard the UC system "categorizes" people based off their personal statements, dunno if it's true or not.

On a side note, the campus is empty on weekends and even more so during the nights. When I lived on campus, I could walk around at night and not see a soul. I liked that.

^^ i barely remember halloween 2009 lol

i don't remember most of my halloween nights i've had here at santa breezy either, haha. this last one was especially bad cause i when i came out of my drunken haze i discovered copious amounts of blood all over my teletubby costume. gnar!

on second thought, santa barbara is probably not the best uc to go to if you don't want to develop a minor case of alcoholism and/or a drug habit.