Random Thoughts...

fade to black2

never heard of wacking before. looks really interesting.

i do kind of agree with the girl in that not a lot of people are really trained in og popping. they just kind of watch videos and hang out with other people that watch videos. without training i think popping kind of degenerates into some form of modern hip hop. i've seen a lot of that kind of david elsewhereish stuff with tutting mixed in, but absolutely no concept of musicality or even the most basic popping moves like the flexes, fresno, saccing, etc. to be honest a lot of times it looks wack

i remember one time i was studying and for a study break i practiced hitting and some girl was walking and just started laughing her head off. another time somebody asked if i was having spasms. -_-;

i enjoyed abdc. i hate that shit where people hate on things just to try and show that they know more about the dance. jabba prepix bite, supreme not being up to pre-held standard. -_- whatever man. who gives a shit. they were very entertaining

really? i think especially with the internet (ie youtube and forums) street dancing has become a lot less underground than it ever has been. this isn't 2001 anymore. you don't have to hop on a plane or even order a dvd to watch ibe, boty, street jam, uk bboy, and there's more and more competitions popping up every year. r16 is pretty new, red bull is less new. i know in korea there's just tons and tons of competitions, domestic and international. kogs have shows all the time. they all have individual schools.

i also feel like a lot of the street dances are merging together a lot more. it's a lot more acceptable now than it was in the 90s to combine different disciplines (not just breaking with locking or popping, but with tectonics, house (eg born), ballet and hip hop (eg cloud)

popping is seriously going in a weird direction. a lot of the best poppers have a really distinct style that's really quite different from what it was even just a few years ago (best example would be imo hojin and gucchon).

Yes, youtube has allowed lots of easy access to information and etc....But that doesn't mean everything you see on youtube is a good representation of these dances. Everything nowadays revolves around stupid competitions and trying to get on tv shows....just because you win a few battles doesn't mean your good. (its also really warped peoples perspective about 'music' and 'musicality'...)

The thing is, back in the day people just danced...there werent labels like 'oh im a popper' or 'oh im a locker'....everyone knew how to dance because thats what you did at parties...then the specific styles would layer over that....nowadays people are like O IM A POPPER CUZ I CAN DO THIS ONE waVE/TU/GLIDE/SHITTY COMBO

Personally I think its ok to merge different styles...the thing is people use it as an excuse to not learn foundation or actually put work in....People will always disagree though...you have your purists and you have the people always pushing the boundaries...I'm in between..and having met a load of all these dancers I see the benefits of both views.

this is what I think: You gotta have foundation...and you have to really understand and know it well...then you build up from there. No ifs, and or buts...if your popping, you gotta know popping foundation (note: not boogaloo foundation...POPPING)...then u can add styles, flavor, character etc.

Popping is the weirdest dance...thats why I like it. So much variation and stuff....but I hate how theres this gay ass flood of TUTS and Fingertuts now...and shitty musicality and ughhh i could go on forever.

Anyhow, the reason you see those peoples style changing is because they finally mastered the foundation (or large amount of it), so now they can play around and delve deeper into developing themselves

---

About ABDC...it really does suck, no matter how you look at it. No one benefits from it and its a terrible representation of the culture. Anyone who goes on there is a sell out. Period. (And yes, I have told it to people in there face, i'll battle any of them. Supreme Soul is a joke..Im in Soul Sector...and those bastards stole our jackets and everything...only 1 of those guys even battled against jabbawockees...Bionic...and now he doesnt do anything for poppin lol (he used to be my teacher)..anyhow enough of the abdc rant)

But ya...I have these convos every few weeks...this shit happens in every country and real heads hate it.

On a side note check out what I did in brazil the last week, got down with bidu and buncha dope ppl from Sao Paolo

i dunno man. if you take out competitions all you have really have are showcases. even cyphers are mini competitions. i personally like to watch competition popping more than shows.

i also agree that there's a lot of people with no foundation, but i think in terms of numbers there are a lot more people that try and learn foundation than there used to be and it's more possible with the internet to do. i think its just that there's an overwhelming number of people who don't care for foundation, but just think random waves or tutting with no musicality looks cool.

i personally started out that way. i think maybe 7, 8 years ago i saw popping hyun joon and thought that was the dopest thing and practiced arm waves the whole day til i got it. later when i got more into it i started watching a bunch of competitions and decided that simple foundation looks a lot more cooler even if it is a little boring.

i also really enjoy watching finger tutting. my fingers are too stiff to do it, but i love watching all of jsmooth's combinations (eg that lxd shit was dope)

which one are you in the video?

i think like popping hyun joon, abdc is a mixed blessing. it exposes more people to street styles dances, even if it is a hybrid version of them. i think the idea is people get hooked on those and then further delve into foundation. it's kind of like power vs style in breaking. first time watchers only really see the power part as really dope, but once they get into it they tend to delve a lot more into style.

i talked to some kogs in korea and they said that while they dislike hyun joon's style and lack of musicality, they appreciated the publicity for popping in korea and said that the more that form of popping gets popular, the more the purist form gets popular.

sorry i actually meant super crew. i've been a big fan of battle monkeys and knucklehead zoo for a long time. a little disappointed by the show, but still very good. supreme was ok i guess. -_- i loled when i saw the supreme caps on them

video's a little too high quality for my netbook, but from what i can see of it, it's really good. boy wonder and bidu really hit the beats creatively and cleanly

i just realized we're talking about THE bidu. -_- i used to use his mixtapes a lot, but after i found dj mulder beats on soulseek i haven't really listened to them in awhile

haha I'm Boy Wonder.

"i dunno man. if you take out competitions all you have really have are showcases. even cyphers are mini competitions. i personally like to watch competition popping more than shows."

See...thats the thing though....what came first, the dance or competitions? Dancing did....competition and showcases....thats not the important stuff. Going out to clubs...and dancing with people, sharing and exchanging, growing, thats the important stuff. In this generation of dance, and even the one right before it, none of them really go out and dance. Its all about ooo im gonna train in this studio or in this mirror hella hard and go to a battle. Before it used to be a social thing...go to a party, dance with girls and embarass mufuckas and kill it in the clubs. I'm not even old enough to go clubbing...but I have been going to them for the last 2 years...but most people are happy to just watch their clips, do a lil practice and get ready for their like 2 minute chance of battling lol

Ciphers are the heart of the dance....When I go to other countries/cities..I don't generally care about the battles. I mean, I will try to win of course, but the outcome doesnt matter because people understand you once they see you in a circle...especially if you kill it all night

I can appreciate finger tuts and tutting...when its DOPE. JJ is one of my teachers as well..so i understand all of that stuff...plus when I go to LA i see tetris and jr boogaloo who are the best in the world at it...I just can't stand people goin into battles or a circle and think its cool to stand there doing shitty sets offbeat (which trust me...happens a LOT...EVERYWHERE now...even on the streets like branesplode said lol)

Ya...abdc does expose people to this stuff...so at least some people might be able to find out about the real stuff...but so far it hasn't really done a good job...

i live in pretty much middle of nowhere and cyphers basically dont happen in the clubs here.

-_- you're so lucky you have all those resources. i'd love to take legit popping classes from legit teachers. closest i had was kogs one summer i spent in korea. east coast is def not big on popping. i couldnt even find legit classes in nyc.

i remember watching a video you posted of yourself a long time ago. i feel like you've gotten a lot better. everything is real clean.

haha thanks.. ive been training lol

But ya, America doesn't really have a dance culture...even here in Cali people don't really dance at clubs...the best place is NY...all the OGs go out every night and they still out do everyone.

The thing is, a lot of people out here have those resources...and they don't tap into them. I'll spend a lil bit of time n money to go meet up with people, have practices, go out, etc....because thats what your supposed to do!

Id recommend goin to DC or Boston if thats close too, they have some dancers out there as well.

haha thanks.. ive been training lol

But ya, America doesn't really have a dance culture...even here in Cali people don't really dance at clubs...the best place is NY...all the OGs go out every night and they still out do everyone.

The thing is, a lot of people out here have those resources...and they don't tap into them. I'll spend a lil bit of time n money to go meet up with people, have practices, go out, etc....because thats what your supposed to do!

Id recommend goin to DC or Boston if thats close too, they have some dancers out there as well.

NYC is closer. I guess didn't know where to go. I heard hypno had a saturday night thingy and i went to that, but hypno apparently doesn't even come. i met up with some dope people there. was about it.

i feel like i've only gotten a lot better this past year. i was plateauing for a really long time

ya plateauing happens...to everyone.

You just gotta push through it...everyone has there own like cycle of progression.

Mine goes foundation ----> abstraction ----> foundation ----> abstraction haha...i always watch my old footage to get new ideas too which is funny...cuz most of the time I can't redo things that Ive done before

Ya NYC has popshop on saturdays, I'd hit that up as much as possible...or check out sullivan room on sundays (its a club...lotsa house dancers go). It might not help your popping...but definitely gets you to be a better dancer

as a breakdancer i can relate to this and i'm sure you guys can relate to the whole power vs style shit we got. it's so annoying to see kids like "i can break now" because they just only practiced flares, or pikes, or windmills and nothing else. but yet don't know how to do a six step or even a basic top rock. and can't hit steps on beat. smh.

just because you memorized something off of a video, does mean you can break or are a breakdancer, especially if it's just one power move.

just my 2 cents

these asian girls

with squeaky upward inflections...

fuck

fuck

omg i wish i had headphones right now

i am going crazy

U12crLhrFQg

^ it's like THIS but with dabbled in chinese or korean babble

does anyone know what i'm talking about????????

argh

as a breakdancer i can relate to this and i'm sure you guys can relate to the whole power vs style shit we got. it's so annoying to see kids like "i can break now" because they just only practiced flares, or pikes, or windmills and nothing else. but yet don't know how to do a six step or even a basic top rock. and can't hit steps on beat. smh.

just because you memorized something off of a video, does mean you can break or are a breakdancer, especially if it's just one power move.

just my 2 cents

yargh. imo it's because power is very impressive hte first time you see, but after a gazillion times, you've seen everything. after that it's more exciting to see how creatively a breaker can hit the beat.

my crew (mostly breakers, but we have lockers and poppers) is having a showcase this sunday. when i was handing out quartercards people had no idea what popping or locking was, so after awhile i just told them we're having a breakdancing show this sunday. -_- that got a lot more attention

yo

i dance on the side, but i wouldn't say i'm super nice. i'm having trouble finding classes in nyc.

you west coast dudes have all these choreographers at hand. main inspiration for me is shaun evaristo, but there's nobody here in nyc who does his type of choreo

Fuck shaun evaristo and that bullshit style...theres ppl in NY who do that kind of stuff, trust me...

that 'choreo' la style shit is whats killin the dance...those ppl don't know how to dance, they just memorize some shitty routines and think they know a lot

my girl sent me a link to herself dancing on lastnightsparty.com. Okay...good?