Random Thoughts...

fade to black2

Can Americans please stop saying "Europe" when they mean a specific country? It's not some homogenous state where everything is the same, there's a massive difference between the different countries, there's a massive difference even within the countries...

Often they mean a skinny jeans wearing Swedish dude.

I kind of wanna get an MPC 1000 just to fuck around with and make shitty beats on, but I don't know anything about MIDI and don't really want to learn too much about it beyond the basics.

Anyone have one? How hard is it to fuck around with having no previous knowledge of anything like it?

Anything regarding production will have a pretty steep learning curve... That said, I think you'll find yourself wanting more if you go the MPC route.

I'd suggest a DAW like Live. It's relatively easy to learn the basics, extremely versatile (equally suitable for quick beat-construction, live performance, and advanced production) and cheaper (upgrading to the latest version, although not really required, is only about $200). You also get VST plugin support, which you'll grow to love. You can even download the demo to test it out - just check youtube for some tutorials.

For a beginner like you I'd recommend three pieces of gear you'd need just as a jumping-off point:

1. Live ($330 with student discount)

2. A simple, pad-based MIDI controller suitable for sample-based beat construction like an M-Audio Trigger finger ($149) or AKAI MPD24 ($200, and features the same pads as their MPC line, also has a much studier feel than the Trigger finger)

3. A decent pair of studio-grade headphones ($50)

I don't mean to keep your MPC from being sold, Kaws, but I have to offer an opinion to someone on the fence.

If you want more advice, try posting in the Music Producers/Studio Thread. Lots of really talented individuals there willing to give advice and critique.

damn for years my brother has been going to these comic conventions, he studies art so i guess its for research cause he isnt in to comics. and finally i took him up on his offer to join him. wow that is not my scene, so much nerdiness. like i consider myself a nerd but wow this is next level nerd. probably not going go back next time.

wonder-con dude, get it right. but yeah my brother was all 'nah dont worry there is lots of stuff to do even if you arent into comics or video games' nope.

Can Americans please stop saying "Europe" when they mean a specific country? It's not some homogenous state where everything is the same, there's a massive difference between the different countries, there's a massive difference even within the countries...

The UK is probably the most un-European nation in the EU anyway as it goes. Don't share many of the continent's sensibilities really, do we? :D

WTF is the deal with the women I know these days???

I've always enjoyed being good friends with women, but it's getting to be impossible lately. I can think of at least 4 women in the past year who, when I am friendly to them and we spend a little time together, instantly think we either are, or should be, in a relationship. Have they really had such shitty relationships with men throughout their lives, that any semi-charming guy friend who knows how to dress himself must instantly be captured? WTF?!