Paul Smith Selvedge Red Ear Jeans

edmond

HI guys saw these jeans at a mall yesterday.. hows is it? they say its made from jap denim.. and the selvedge is so cool multicolored forgot to take pictures though.. whats your guys thought on these?

Red Bunny? Never heard of that, but I have heard of Paul Smith Red Ears with multicolored selvage. I think on heavy denim gallery, the guy that owned it said they're actually not made in Japan but China.

Edit:

It wasn't denim gallery heavy, it was a denim blog, I'll find the link in a bit.

actually, I shouldn't jump up with info, but I'm pretty sure the Red Ear Denim with selvage started in early 05. because i remember reading in style forum in 05 about these.

And what I meant about the selvage bandwagon, was the recent major manufacture mainstream brands at malls, are having their "premium denim" being selvage. Example with the Gap selvage and some other brands are also doing so.

paul smith red ears (akamimi) have been around for ages, and from what i've seen of them, are constructed well. i like that PS's sense of humour has translated into some really nice touches on the jeans - the irregular hollowed-out button fly as well as the rivet faces for example. and then there's the crazy selvedge colours.

edmond - made in china does not necessarily equal cheap (and poor quality). evisu's founder hidehiko yamane has his own eponymous line of jeans made in china, and as well built as any japanese jeans out there.

actuallllly.

the paul smith red ear selvage was a late 04, beginning 05 product. The recent selvage bandwagon brand hopping (gap, d&g, j brand?, etc)

Bollocks. Red Ear started back in 1998 - I remember the first collections coming into Selfridges when I was still working for Diesel. And before that, Paul Smith Jeans had selvedge models. Bear in mind he's been massive in Japan for a looong time.

The quality of the jeans is pretty good, I have a pair and I'm very happy with them.

Bollocks. Red Ear started back in 1998 - I remember the first collections coming into Selfridges when I was still working for Diesel. And before that, Paul Smith Jeans had selvedge models. Bear in mind he's been massive in Japan for a looong time.

The quality of the jeans is pretty good, I have a pair and I'm very happy with them.

Bollucks, read my post again, I said I shouldn't jump to info so I wasn't hundred percent sure and thats when I saw the Red Ear Selvage hit the rakcs AND I wasn't talking about Red Ear itself, but rather the Selvage.

But I may be wrong again. :(

The first selvedge Red Ear came in raw and one wash straight or cinchback and were made in Japan. And they hit the Paul Smith Jeans shop in Covent Garden in January 1999. I know cos I bought a few, but have sold most of them since. Later he moved most production to Hong Kong and China and imo diluted the range by bringing out some really trendy and trashed versions ( sadly I still have one pair, why I bought them Christ knows ) and moved away from the more pure pairs he was selling originally.

Red Ear is the English translation of the word for selvedge in Japanese, if that makes sense. In any case it's what the Japanese call selvedge hence the name.

in the season just gone (aw 06) there are (were?) japanese manufactured red ear jeans and damn they are fine.....

around in sales here (u.k.) at half price at the moment but still £125

and i agree the previous many seasons red ear have all been fine jeans

i just tried on a pair. Same model as on PG2G's site. I believe they were one wash. The denim is awesome - rough, slubby, but pretty soft. The fit is pretty good, though a little loose in the legs for my taste. Details are nice, esp the buttons, but I'd probably remove the red ear on the back pocket right away.

Didn't get them (they were c. $200), but I may go back.

Ha, surprised I found this thread now...(been using the rainbow selvage as my avatar for a while now heh heh) What the post said above about Paul Smith's sense of humor coming out in these jeans...that sums up the essence of them PERFECTLY. You can have a field day picking throught the little details of the jeans. I bought them from the Paul Smith store above Union Square about 2 years ago. I would count my pair as a one wash type as they are not faded, not distressed in anyway, still richly dark, yet were not raw. The denim is rather thin, (but then again, I've become used to the thick slubbiness of my Okinawas and my AI 001s). For me the only and most justified draw of these jeans is the detailing of the stitching, buttons, selvage edges in all different places and I've been quite happy with them.

"Paul Smith Shoes and Paul Smith Red Ear Made In Japan -

Red Ear Made In Japan jeans (woven and sewn in Okayama Japan, details

coming to the website soon) will be sold exclusively in the US at Blue

In Green"

Apparently coming in January.

"Paul Smith Shoes and Paul Smith Red Ear Made In Japan -

Red Ear Made In Japan jeans (woven and sewn in Okayama Japan, details

coming to the website soon) will be sold exclusively in the US at Blue

In Green"

Apparently coming in January.

sweet! another pr of jeans. great!

• 1 month later...

i had a pair of the rainbow selvedge one-wash red ears. denim was very soft, details were pretty good. rise was a bit big IMO, i wanted something a bit slimmer as well. retailed for $400+, but i got it on sale...i wouldn't spend $400 on them when there's so many better options. the multicolour selvedge was unique i guess but nothing really wowed me about them. i tried to sell it a while back here but nobody wanted it...

funny that two labels such as Ralph Lauren and Paul Smith can claim the same interest in the tradition and heritage of denim and come up with two equally inconsistent products. hopefully RRL will have taken a turn for the better, but Red Ear...?

pity, because i do like the little witticisms in the jeans. if only they were better/more uniformly constructed.