Spectacles for Superfuture

digital_denim

grunhauser what is your opinion on Alain Mikli...i swear by my Starck/Mikli frames. I know there's probably some exotic japanese brand out there probably better made but for the look, finish and price these are my go to joints for eyewear.

and don't stone me but i'm diggin some Chrome Hearts sunglasses...i would never pay that kinda price though.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote=2000dB;274840]Interesting thread so far...

grunhauser, I'd like to know your recommendations for places to check out in Tokyo for glasses, I'm curious about those bamboo ones. Right now, I'm wearing Eye'DC from France pretty much everyday and, as much as I like them, would like to try new frames. Shoot me a PM if you prefer.

I haven't been to Japan, mind you, but from what I know about "who is who", Globespecs carry DeromeBrenner among others. Lunettes du Jura, they have few shops, are heavily invested in all things French and have an amazing array of all kinds of funky specs. I believe they do EyeDC among other.

I thnk I mentioned PropoDesign here, and others mentioned 999.9, LessThanHuman and Spivvy. These are all really good brands. Highest quaity, original and fresh design.

A line I desperately want but cannot get until 2008 is Wolfgang Proksch. Due to distribution litigation are not allowed to sell in US until then. You can find them in Japan though. Look it up, chances are if someone carries Proksch, they have other cool lines.

Cheers.

grunhauser what is your opinion on Alain Mikli...i swear by my Starck/Mikli frames. I know there's probably some exotic japanese brand out there probably better made but for the look, finish and price these are my go to joints for eyewear.

and don't stone me but i'm diggin some Chrome Hearts sunglasses...i would never pay that kinda price though.

Mikli is always good, and Starck line is good. AM works magic with acetate which can last for decades witour losing much. Starck's cool swivel hinge, as often happens with design, has been problematic and I have seen few people who got tired of sending it back for repairs or replacement. Still, I'd get one nonetheless, just to have it as a design object. The problem is, people start wearing it everyday and run the frame into the ground in 3 months. Get few pairs, rotate, they will last longer and will look like new in a year.

No Chrome Hearts for me, it's just not my style.

Mikli is always good, and Starck line is good. AM works magic with acetate which can last for decades witour losing much. Starck's cool swivel hinge, as often happens with design, has been problematic and I have seen few people who got tired of sending it back for repairs or replacement. Still, I'd get one nonetheless, just to have it as a design object. The problem is, people start wearing it everyday and run the frame into the ground in 3 months. Get few pairs, rotate, they will last longer and will look like new in a year.

No Chrome Hearts for me, it's just not my style.

hmm i've worn my starcks for about 2 yeras now it's held up fine...as long as i dont demonstrate to everyone i meet how the arms can move around and bend like a stripper lol

I was so glad to comment on his frames, the first time he came into the shop. I definately need to stop by sometime and get some new glasses. As many saw the tape at the party...

I told you we'd hit it off. I am so glad you guys moved into that space and wish you all the best. I've sent you like 5 people yesterday, and no, not the same ones I send to Sears, only the cool folks.

Mikli is always good, and Starck line is good. AM works magic with acetate which can last for decades witour losing much. The problem is, people start wearing it everyday and run the frame into the ground in 3 months. Get few pairs, rotate, they will last longer and will look like new in a year.

great advice

i rotate two pairs of A. Mikli's (same model, different colors); fucking great glasses; previously only had "disposable" frames that easily got bent out of shape and fell off my face easily----------good glasses are well worth the investment

Any opinions on IC! Berlin frames?

Philipp Haffmans and Harald Gottschling were the designers for ic!berlin and in '04 they left and started their own company - MYKITA. I am one of the 4 or 5 accounts in SF and have largest inventory of their frames in stock. MYKITA is our best selling line.

So I do not wear glasses, and do not know anything about what we are talking about here. But, with talking about quality and such, could somebody explain, out of curiosity, why a "quality" pair would be worn into the ground in three months and need to be rotated? What am I missing?

Cheers

Glasses take a lot of abuse. If you wore them all the time like I do, you'd find yourself wearing a frame in the shower, on the beach, at the gym, lounging in bed, everywhere. You drop them, you roll over them, your pet wants a piece of it, it's abused on a daily basis. Add to that UV, wind, polution, regualr dirt, sweat and occassional bird droppings and you have yourself a grizzly scenario. Plastics suffer more than metals, because they are softer, but metals chip easily and no matter how old they are if your rims are all knicked it looks bad.

I'm definitely going to have to stop by when I'm in San Francisco later this year. I've always wanted to find who could help me with glasses / sunglasses. I really need a pair, if just to distract from the rest of my face.

But in all seriousness I don't have a particularly hard-edged face, so adding a little disctinct form might be nice.

They coould not stay, and they could not use the hinge...They did not dispair and invented a new, better hinge that does not come undone when twisted. Instead of the the prongs, the hinge is a coil-like creature. Amazing really, and I should do a step by step pictorial on my blog. They also changed the design of the nosepads, leaving long "legs" behind opting for a smaller, more comfortable type instead. Much better fit all around, imo.

anyone here ever bought any frames + prescription lens combos from Hatch in Shinjuku? I discoved hatch on my last day in tokyo and I have this strong stigmatism which I was sure they could not make my glasses in half an hour like they say they would.

Whow.. three pages long already.. good shit guys.

obviously there's a strong interest in spectacles..

i went into Spectacles for Humans and got a pair of Derome Brenner glasses turned into sunglasses and a pair of Reiz frames as everyday glasses...

i absolutely love them.

this entire thing could be trouble.. i'm like Andrew.. when i saw this stuff in person i felt like the first time i'd discovered Japanese denim.. like "holy shit this could ruin my life..."

:)

regardless, i'm sure that not every city has a store like Spectacles for Humans, but if you make a trek out to San Francisco, hit it up.. it's worth the trip.

hey andrew, when you coming back to the city? we can both hit up SFH.. this weekend?

oh wait, it's Stuntastic's birthday this saturday.. him and SycamoreNoMore are kicking it around the Mission disctrict..

i smell a SF meet up.

http://spectaclesforhumans.blogspot.com/

I'm getting a pair ^_^

I just got done with my wardrobe (for a good 3 years) and cleared out almost all of my "what to buy" untill I saw some of the specs at grunhauser's store. Darn superfuture!

Grunhauser it was nice to meet you. I think sycamore wants to buy these from you, hope it doesn't get sold out!

img3627iq3.th.jpg

Whow.. three pages long already.. good shit guys.

obviously there's a strong interest in spectacles..

i went into Spectacles for Humans and got a pair of Derome Brenner glasses turned into sunglasses and a pair of Reiz frames as everyday glasses...

i absolutely love them.

this entire thing could be trouble.. i'm like Andrew.. when i saw this stuff in person i felt like the first time i'd discovered Japanese denim.. like "holy shit this could ruin my life..."

:) regardless, i'm sure that not every city has a store like Spectacles for Humans, but if you make a trek out to San Francisco, hit it up.. it's worth the trip.

hey andrew, when you coming back to the city? we can both hit up SFH.. this weekend?

oh wait, it's Stuntastic's birthday this saturday.. him and SycamoreNoMore are kicking it around the Mission disctrict..

i smell a SF meet up.

http://spectaclesforhumans.blogspot.com/

Yo Kiya,

I was thinking of hitting up SFH this weekend too, what time you thinking of going? I was also talking to Andrew about another SF meetup for this weekend too...we should do a meetup then hit up this bar called Bourbon and Branch in the 'Loin. Have you been? It's like the Self-Edge of bars! Modeled after old speakeasy...you need to email them to get a password to gain entry. They carry all these limited cases of whiskey, bourbon, etc. Pretty cool shit! Went there last weekend with some friends and it was fun times. Should we try to get some folks together? Stunt, Syc, Tangerine, Digital, or any others interested?

i've got a bit of an idea..

let's meet at Spectacles for Humans at noon..

coerce jan (stuntastic) into coming..

i think a bunch of SFers are already supposed to be in the city on Saturday..

then all take him out to lunch for his bday..

how cheesy is this?

i mean hell.. it'll be a mini superfuture meeting...