Japan Blue Momotaro

Klaas

Most definitely, Japan Blue is the cheaper diffusion 'fashion' range.

To add even more confusion. Japan Blue is not just a brand/label next to Momotaro, it is also the name of the company that produces both JB and Momotaro jeans.

This is also the reason why Japan Blue name is in the waistband of the "Europe Label" and its appearance on the pocketbags and leather patch on the Copper Label denims.

Japan Blue is also cheaper. 

Japan Blue as a brand is also aimed at another market.

In fact, Japan Blue was launched to fill a gap and also get market share in the mid-tier denim world. Therefore the cuts are more apropriate for the non-denimhead, who just wants a good fitting, well contructed, affordable denim. Japan Blue is just that.

Momotaro on the other hand, is more of a luxury product. Featuring all bells and whistles most denimheads wish for. This is also reflected in the pricetag. Difference are noticable if you compare the products side by side, though someone who doesn't care probably doesn't see it.

Most difference is in the fabric, hardware and detailing. In this case, Momo's are made from 100% Zim cotton, 15.7 oz(atleast for Vintage Label) dyed in the "trademarked" deepest blue indigo. Sewn using 100% cotton thread. Details that are definately Momotaro, amongside subtle detailing like raised belt loops, pocket edges and hidden rivets, are the pink selvage ID, pink inseam stitch, white tab (on Vintage and GTB) and offcourse, the infamous battle stripes (GTB or custom paint)

Japan Blue on the other hand has other detailing (the inseam stitch for instance, is blue... Obvious, though) and lacks a lot of detailing also (no hidden rivets, for instance). Fabrics, while good, are not on par with Momo and mostly are dyed with mixture-based indigo (sulphur).

Momotaro also is much handcrafted material, JB is/was not. I'm not 100% sure about it, but I reckon the JB's are factory produced.

So I just got my 1005SP, and I've them 2-3 times now. The seat is smaller than I was expecting, though I feel it loosening day by day (unless im leaning out..which is possible). A taper would have been nice.

I am selling these btw, in the marketplace. 200+shipping for those who read it here!

I bought a tagged sz 30 pair of the xx-011's. Ive been wearing them as much as I can (probably 20ish wears on em so far) but the fit is still a lot more snug than I was expecting. My question is can I expect a decent amount of stretching eventually to the point where these loosen up around the knees and waist? I love the denim and have tried to stick with them, but the fit requires me to sag just to get comfortable lol...

I bought a tagged sz 30 pair of the xx-011's. Ive been wearing them as much as I can (probably 20ish wears on em so far) but the fit is still a lot more snug than I was expecting. My question is can I expect a decent amount of stretching eventually to the point where these loosen up around the knees and waist? I love the denim and have tried to stick with them, but the fit requires me to sag just to get comfortable lol...

Wrong topic mate, you should post this in the Pure Blue Japan thread. Momoheads "probably" can't help you with PBJ sizing.

Anyway, the waist on PBJ's is quite forgiving. The knees should also stretch a bit, for sure if there is some pressure on the fabric. This part of the jean has the most friction going on, I guess, so the fabric should give a bit easier than say the thigh region.

I know I've said this before but the denim, cut and details on my Vintage line 0901s are all top notch. I haven't given mine any real wear yet as they need a hem and my current winter rotation is full with my SDA 101s and Warehouse Warrens, however, these are next in line. I don't think this range gets enough attention or even real consideration from the more vintage style/repro denimhead crowd (as Momo seems to have a reputation as a more 'modern' brand) but they're definitely missing out on a gem.

I still find it hard to get past the pink inseam stitching. It's just so garish when raw. That aside, I've been very impressed when I've handled Momos. The denim and construction are fantastic and I absolutely love the label inside the waistband ("It will be Okayama if it's called Momotaro...") and details such as the curved back pocket openings and custom rivets.

In my mind, Momotaro can quite easily sit alongside a brand like Fullcount that blends a degree of repro-aesthetics with modern, dare I say 'fashionable' influences. Maybe I'll try them out one day.

I still find it hard to get past the pink inseam stitching. It's just so garish when raw. That aside, I've been very impressed when I've handled Momos. The denim and construction are fantastic and I absolutely love the label inside the waistband ("It will be Okayama if it's called Momotaro...") and details such as the curved back pocket openings and custom rivets.

In my mind, Momotaro can quite easily sit alongside a brand like Fullcount that blends a degree of repro-aesthetics with modern, dare I say 'fashionable' influences. Maybe I'll try them out one day.

The pink inseam stitch is indeed noticable, but after some wear it get's less and blends better with the overall estatics of the jean. Copper Labels G007-MB are a good example, with the lichter fabric paired with a pink stitch.

In my opinion the pink stitch only is "disturbing" on the deep indigo fabric. The contrast is to big, I think.

Not of the denim variety but I just got my Momotaro 0302SP Westpoint chinos and I'm really loving them.  Finally found the perfect pair of casual khaki chinos.

Also I'll probably be putting my BOM006-T size 36's up for sale in the marketplace pretty soon, I just can't make the fit work for me.  PM me if anyone is interested.

Posted · Hidden by ordo, October 27, 2013 - Commercial Post
Hidden by ordo, October 27, 2013 - Commercial Post

Hello All,

I noticed that people have been asking more about these 2 brands and if you are looking for a retailer in the Northern, CA area, we are located in San Jose, CA and we are an authorized retailer for Momotaro and Japan Blue. Its always nice to have a local resource so you can actually try on the jeans and see them for yourself.

For any questions please visit our website http://www.azukiSJ.com

Thanks!

^very true. I wore my 0905SP the other day and fell in love with the denim again.

This happens to me every time I wear my 0905SP, too.

I still find it hard to get past the pink inseam stitching. It's just so garish when raw.

Really, it fades pretty quickly.  I was put off by it initially, but it's not very noticeable any more.  You really should give in and try a pair.  You know you want to...