Japan Blue Momotaro

Klaas

As much as some would say Momotaro doesn't stretch much, I would beg to differ. I own a Copper Label G017-MB (size 29) and a GTB 0705sp (size 30). 

The pre-wear measurements for both on BlueOwl is almost spot on.

After a fair bit of wear,the waist for both stretched to fit me nicely. The tight area for the Copper Label was initial tight but now it is now perfect. Both have been soaked in cold water twice. If anyone is interested in post measurements, I would be happy to oblige.

As much as some would say Momotaro doesn't stretch much, I would beg to differ. I own a Copper Label G017-MB (size 29) and a GTB 0705sp (size 30).

The pre-wear measurements for both on BlueOwl is almost spot on.

After a fair bit of wear,the waist for both stretched to fit me nicely. The tight area for the Copper Label was initial tight but now it is now perfect. Both have been soaked in cold water twice. If anyone is interested in post measurements, I would be happy to oblige.

The waist isn't the issue most of the time. The thigh area is. Second, both models you mentioned are one wash, eliminating a lot of shrinkage, making the fabric softer and more pliable. Edited by M1stral

You mean you don't soak your vintage label (which are unsanforized) at all before wearing?

The waist isn't the issue most of the time. The thigh area is. Second, both models you mentioned are one wash, eliminating a lot of shrinkage, making the fabric softer and more pliable.

You mean you don't soak your vintage label (which are unsanforized) at all before wearing?

Well, one wash jeans or something different than soaked jeans. While soaking will make the weave tighter and lessen some indigo and starch, it also reactivates starch that is still in the fabric. It takes a while before the fabric settles and softens up. This is not the case with one wash denim.

The fabric has most of the time all shrinkage taken out and due to the fact that one wash jeans are mostly somewhat softer, it means they give a lot easier then say a fabric that is still a bit stubborn and not as forgiving as washed denim is.

I'm looking at the 1005SP and from measurements Ive read, a tagged 29 measures in with nearly a 31 waist? Do you guys tend to downsize with Momotaro?

also, how's the backrise? I usually need a high(er) rise and wider thighs. The perils of having thick thighs and a midsection..despite the rest of me being so lean.. 

edit: I meant to say 1005sp (not 1001sp)

Edited by PhillyFresh

I'm looking at the 1001SP and from measurements Ive read, a tagged 29 measures in with nearly a 31 waist? Do you guys tend to downsize with Momotaro?

also, how's the backrise? I usually need a high(er) rise and wider thighs. The perils of having thick thighs and a midsection..despite the rest of me being so lean..

The concensus on most Momo cuts is TTS. The 201 can be sized down one, so I guess this shouldn't be a problem, it being an even roomier cut.

• 2 weeks later...

photo5_zpsb008e3a2.jpg

sneak peek of the 0702BR not the best lighting in the world but it will do the job. The brown hairs from the weft poke through the warp giving it an amazing feel and color unlike any other momotaro yet. 

We will have details, pictures, and availability online soon 

I think that's because many of the Momo posters on this thread are the younger crowd who size down or wear the slimmer cuts. If you bought the Vintage label jeans e.g. 0901 in the right size, I think they'd be as robust as anything else out there. They are a beautiful, well-constructed heavy mid-weight denim with great hardware and beautiful details.

^ Agreed!

I just ordered a 701 cut up sized one and I must say I really enjoy the cut. My balls are not scrunched up in a neat little package either which is worth noting. I'm a younger dude but I prefer repo cuts any day. I have one pair of slim tapered and this is my first slim straight (unless you want to count my 5k) 

I think that's because many of the Momo posters on this thread are the younger crowd who size down or wear the slimmer cuts. If you bought the Vintage label jeans e.g. 0901 in the right size, I think they'd be as robust as anything else out there. They are a beautiful, well-constructed heavy mid-weight denim with great hardware and beautiful details.

Cheers for the info. I only asked as I think I read something in the thread about the construction and that it may not be up to the Iron Heart/ Samurai levels.

Momo uses all cotton threads if I am not mistaken (please correct me if I'm wrong) so the seams under high stress are probably the first to go. This is further exasperated when sized down as both the denim and stitching are put under great loads of stress. 

That's right Hog, well remembered. I got the last 32 and I've worn them around the house for a bit, cuffed to the calf but they need a hem (inseam was about 39" raw). They are a very, very nice pair indeed and a great fit.

Sorry about the link in the SDA thread, I should have check the sizing availability first!

It's also worth remembering that Japan Blue and Momotaro are separate labels and very different propositions. Some of the comments may relate primarily to Japan Blue.

Now that you mention it, it may have been some of the Japan Blue chat that got me thinking along those lines. I take it that you're saying Momotaro are the better of the two?