Jump to content
Klaas

Japan Blue Momotaro

Recommended Posts

Just received my pair of Japan Blue 0606 High Tapered in Japanese Selvedge denim. It says that it is sanforized.

I have a dilemma as it is 1 inch too lose on the waist, 4 inches too long on the inseam and the thigh/knees are a tad bigger than I am comfortable wearing. I thought of exchanging it for size 36 but would like to check if a soak/wash will help instead? What kind of shrinkage can I expect from a pre-wear soak or wash?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you feel it's big everywhere, then size down.

You will only get minimal shrinkage, not enough to lose 1 inch in waist. Plus waist will stretch a bit with wear anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bought the 0306-14sp couple weeks ago. An alcoholised impulse buy.

It has a lovely colour to it due to the deep indigo warp and the cobalt blue weft. The denim itself is nothing special really, but i felt the same way about the copper label denim at first, and after a couple of washes, the character of the denim really came out. So i'm hoping the same would happen with this denim.

I'm a fan of Momotaro detailing (although not too keen on battle stripes), and it's all here. Branded buttons and branded copper rivets. detailed pocket bags. yellow, orangey stitching with pink inseam stitch. cow suede patch.

Fit is good. Wish the leg opening was bigger though.

Tag size 31 measurements:

Waist: 32.2 inches

FR: 10.5 inches

Thigh: 11.8 inches

Knee: 8 inches

LO: 6.5 inches

IMG_20180217_114520.jpg

IMG_20180217_114618-_COLLAGE.jpg

IMG_20180217_114339.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Always like to see a new pair of Momotaro; let’s seem em in a couple of years!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Niro said:

Bought the 0306-14sp couple weeks ago. An alcoholised impulse buy.

 

I like the brand and have a pair of Narrow tapered in my cart at Okaya. However, those stripes I am not so sure about. Maybe they grow on you. But from what I am seeing in terms of quality, I expect they would be very good. Hope to buy them someday and alcohol could be a great influencer.

It would be great to hear about the fit and gets some pictures here, as it says "Tight Tapered" but from the measurements, the rise is rather high (11inch).

Quote

IMG_20180217_114520.jpg

 

 

Edited by i_denim
Added content

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can find pairs of momos with stealth stripes or completely without battle stripes.

I'll try to get fit pics. Tight tapered (or anything similar sounding) does not neccessarily mean the front rise should be low low.

 

40 minutes ago, lance said:

Always like to see a new pair of Momotaro; let’s seem em in a couple of years!

I have so many pairs of unworn jeans now it's kinda insane. Trying to figure out when I can wear them all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also, what makes anybody choose Momotaro over Japan Blue since both brands are owned by the same company? I am guessing the quality is so much better that Momotaro seems more popular at almost twice the price.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, i_denim said:

Also, what makes anybody choose Momotaro over Japan Blue since both brands are owned by the same company? I am guessing the quality is so much better that Momotaro seems more popular at almost twice the price.

Yo... Japan Blue tends to experiment with fabrics more and will try to keep the price more affordable. For instance, one can get a solid and affordable jeans from Japan Blue like the JB0606 you purchased. Nothing too crazy, a very classic 14oz indigo fabric with white weft. Then Japan Blue also have the more crazy experimental fabrics ranging from heavy/super slubby/different color wefts/stretchy. If you seen the Monster/sapphire slub/snow slub fabric you will know what I meant. 

As for Momotaro, instead of focusing on these crazy fabrics... their focus is making the best classic indigo warp white weft jeans in 3 kinds of version (although they do make other denims too such as 0306-14sp):

1. The copper label one washed version
2. The going to battle sanforized version
3. Vintage label unsanforized (possibly loomstate also) version

Because they are the "classic fabric", you won't see any crazy texture or super heavy weight characteristic. But rest assure you will see one of the finest fades from them. The best part is their texture aren't crazy initially to begin with and once it fades...you will wonder how did such "classic and ordinary" fabric fade so well! The price also increases due to more expensive constructional methods. Eg you will notice the buttons and rivets design are a lot nicer than Japan Blue...and the belt loops are raised & tucked which is nicer looking and more durable. Then you have additional hidden copper rivets on the back pocket as well. I think the use of zimbabwe cotton in momotaro fabric also drive up the price.

 

Edited by keybladehero
changed the word boring to ordinary ><

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, keybladehero said:

Yo... Japan Blue tends to experiment with fabrics more and will try to keep the price more affordable. For instance, one can get a solid and affordable jeans from Japan Blue like the JB0606 you purchased. Nothing too crazy, a very classic 14oz indigo fabric with white weft. Then Japan Blue also have the more crazy experimental fabrics ranging from heavy/super slubby/different color wefts/stretchy. If you seen the Monster/sapphire slub/snow slub fabric you will know what I meant. 

As for Momotaro, instead of focusing on these crazy fabrics... their focus is making the best classic indigo warp white weft jeans in 3 kinds of version (although they do make other denims too such as 0306-14sp):

1. The copper label one washed version
2. The going to battle sanforized version
3. Vintage label unsanforized (possibly loomstate also) version

Because they are the "classic fabric", you won't see any crazy texture or super heavy weight characteristic. But rest assure you will see one of the finest fades from them. The best part is their texture aren't crazy initially to begin with and once it fades...you will wonder how did such "classic and ordinary" fabric fade so well! The price also increases due to more expensive constructional methods. Eg you will notice the buttons and rivets design are a lot nicer than Japan Blue...and the belt loops are raised & tucked which is nicer looking and more durable. Then you have additional hidden copper rivets on the back pocket as well. I think the use of zimbabwe cotton in momotaro fabric also drive up the price.

 

That is very helpful, thank you.

While I am returning JB 0606 for being too big everywhere but almost right on waist, I am looking at Momotaro as a replacement maybe. Okaya doesn't have the size, if I want to size down from 38 to 36. I can stretch the waist by wearing them 7 days a week but the thighs/knees are way too big. I love the high rise though and that's exactly what I needed.

For Momotaro, confused between MT-0105SP (Narrow Tapered) and G004-MB (Slim Tapered). I like the look of the 0105SP as it seems to have. high rise but sharp taper. And when you buy something in size 38, how tight can it be? I just hope it's not like one of those skinny jeans some guys wear that looks like how they got them on in the first place.

The G004-MB looks more old skool and could look very unflattering in my size.

Anybody here has pictures of them wearing the 0105SP in a 34/36/38 size?

Edited by i_denim
spelling

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Xpost: HWC2

Momo G014-MB 95DB1E68-6ECA-4995-8455-655147155088.thumb.jpeg.728b5f49daf2b60e4dcaa54cab7d260c.jpeg

F9FBB6CC-8707-4B45-881F-9CA6BD25C523.thumb.jpeg.008f9fa9fb71e79e5f4472329250a53e.jpegDDB8032D-7C99-4267-ACAD-19C2221F6726.thumb.jpeg.31804d4a12bdee90c1143e6c6c6105b8.jpeg

Available light vs Direct sunlight 6C76758F-4FCD-46CD-B7C2-3A4B9C63F5CD.thumb.jpeg.1e56d6e33ab899b05cb2f34397224f6f.jpeg20C49D27-99E9-48A1-A2D1-A6AF59C7B900.thumb.jpeg.63aeb99678f4069ad945f230d9f79322.jpeg

Edited by BrownMetallic

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Crosspost w/ This or That?

Anybody have thoughts on how the 15.7 fabric on the momo vintage label would turn out with a frequent/regular washing routine? 

I'm pretty much a TCB & SC guy, and prefer more vintage-style fades and the gentler color gradations, puckering, and train tracks that comes with it. Momos seem to have lost some their following around as folks have turned their attention away from high contrast fade and toward the Fullcount/Warehouse/TCB repro scene, but I'm thinking of bucking the trend a little by grabbing a pair of 0901s and washing them every 3-5 weeks. I can't seem to find any pics of pairs in that fabric that have been treated that way. The pair below has more contrast than I'd want, especially @ the whiskers, but the thighs and the seat hint at the possibilities of still getting some nice, subtler fading. 

Any thoughts? Thanks.

 

On 2/23/2016 at 11:43 AM, M1stral said:
 
2gxl9nt.jpg

23kepli.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m currently wearing some 0901s (only a couple of weeks in) and I think (so far) that these are probably better made and better dyed than many of the Japanese brands held in high esteem in these parts. They are very dark and have no visible fading at all yet so I think they’d stand up really well to a regular washing regime. Comparing them to my FC, Warehouse and LVC that I’m also wearing at the moment, I’d say they feel far sturdier and on a par with my SDA. Of course, this may all change in a few weeks so I reserve the right to alter my judgement! :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Maynard Friedman said:

these are probably better made and better dyed than many of the Japanese brands held in high esteem in these parts.

Agree. My favourite denim brand. I always wondered why they didn't offer jackets in the vintage label but it looks like the floodgates have opened with a new Type II. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They look great but I think are the sanforized 0905s rather than the 0901s as they have the battle stripes on the back pocket.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

^the momotaro site tagged them as 1005sp. I initially thought that meant it was nothing more than a one-wash version of the same 15.7oz denim, but you seem to be right: retailers are listing it as one-washed sanforized denim (which seems strangely redundant somehow). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/18/2018 at 12:38 PM, MileHighEvertonian said:

Crosspost w/ This or That?

Anybody have thoughts on how the 15.7 fabric on the momo vintage label would turn out with a frequent/regular washing routine? 

I'm pretty much a TCB & SC guy, and prefer more vintage-style fades and the gentler color gradations, puckering, and train tracks that comes with it. Momos seem to have lost some their following around as folks have turned their attention away from high contrast fade and toward the Fullcount/Warehouse/TCB repro scene, but I'm thinking of bucking the trend a little by grabbing a pair of 0901s and washing them every 3-5 weeks. I can't seem to find any pics of pairs in that fabric that have been treated that way. The pair below has more contrast than I'd want, especially @ the whiskers, but the thighs and the seat hint at the possibilities of still getting some nice, subtler fading. 

Any thoughts? Thanks.

 

Here are my [slimmer] 701s ... just to show  how the Vintage Label evos. They’re actually a tad more lighter now w/ much less contrast, as I’ve put in more wear & washes from time pix were taken.

Top of this page are the 14oz Copper Label, w/c I’m planning to do more frequent washes once they get to desired combs.

From the looks of it, i think,  the latter get more defined [corrugated] tracks due to higher degree of puckering

E06E5379-E659-40C6-898D-663D5511508F.thumb.jpeg.4a1803c3c9cf08a56c13accadb90f966.jpegA0925AAD-8BFE-4BA3-BEF1-5FCEB1C4C8B0.thumb.jpeg.fec771ee289f75618e84e2877abc5605.jpeg

 

Edited by BrownMetallic

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/17/2018 at 3:03 PM, Niro said:

IMG_20180217_114520.jpg

IMG_20180217_114618-_COLLAGE.jpg

IMG_20180217_114339.jpg

 

Just curious, what image host do you use as I'm never able to see any of the pics you post, only these references to pic names

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, mrman said:

Just curious, what image host do you use as I'm never able to see any of the pics you post, only these references to pic names

I use postimages.org

Strange you can only see pic name references. Wonder if it's the same for anyone else

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd love to hear more about the 0901s. @Maynard Friedman I saw you say in the "lowriding sun" thread that your tag 32 pair has an 11.75" front rise, but the size charts on denimio and okayama denim show 11".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, kaloph said:

I'd love to hear more about the 0901s. @Maynard Friedman I saw you say in the "lowriding sun" thread that your tag 32 pair has an 11.75" front rise, but the size charts on denimio and okayama denim show 11".

First rule of Sufu club: Always trust the measurements of a sufu member over denimio and okayama denim

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ll measure them again this evening, I’m not sure I want to whip them off in the office and get my tape measure out!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s casual Friday so I’m not wearing any underpants.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maynard going after some epic crotch fades

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Luisa via Roma (US)
    Brand - 125 x 125