Japan Blue Momotaro

Klaas

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/7/2019 at 12:49 AM, japanalogue said:

For you Momotaro and Japan Blue fans, I've just put up my two-part interview of Hisao and Katsu Manabe if you're interested. Enjoy!

Part One

Part Two

This is some great writing and interviewing! As an early devoted Momo and Japan Blue fan, I came to appreciate their quiet devotion to modern, understated, well-made jeans free from any of the eye-catching experimentation of, say, Samurai (though def respect ).

My primary denim complaint over the years has been the very slow awakening of many of the 501-devoted old-school Osaka Five to the Western market demands for modern cuts like the 0306 tapered fit. I think many of us older denimheads have closets full of fits that we did our best to love on, but just couldn’t pull off. I know my own trial and error process with Momotaro (and every other Japanese brand out there) caused me to sell dozens of pairs (excluding those I sold because I got fatter)...

When Japan Blue was launched in ‘10, I watched Momotaro be one of the first Japanese brands to try innovating the Japanese denim market with new western cuts. Almost everyone followed suit in the next few years, even true old-school devotees like Pure Blue Japan and SD’A. Since slim taper cuts are the best for me this has been a goldmine of returning to previously avoided brands just because fits previously didn’t work for me.

I like that your interviews really reveal this hard work that Momotaro invested in western market research. Thanks for contributing that!

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/31/2019 at 12:41 AM, mlyngard said:

This is some great writing and interviewing! As an early devoted Momo and Japan Blue fan, I came to appreciate their quiet devotion to modern, understated, well-made jeans free from any of the eye-catching experimentation of, say, Samurai (though def respect ).

My primary denim complaint over the years has been the very slow awakening of many of the 501-devoted old-school Osaka Five to the Western market demands for modern cuts like the 0306 tapered fit. I think many of us older denimheads have closets full of fits that we did our best to love on, but just couldn’t pull off. I know my own trial and error process with Momotaro (and every other Japanese brand out there) caused me to sell dozens of pairs (excluding those I sold because I got fatter)...

When Japan Blue was launched in ‘10, I watched Momotaro be one of the first Japanese brands to try innovating the Japanese denim market with new western cuts. Almost everyone followed suit in the next few years, even true old-school devotees like Pure Blue Japan and SD’A. Since slim taper cuts are the best for me this has been a goldmine of returning to previously avoided brands just because fits previously didn’t work for me.

I like that your interviews really reveal this hard work that Momotaro invested in western market research. Thanks for contributing that!

Thanks for the kind words! Stay tuned for an SDA interview in the near future. B)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Duodequinquagesimus said:

Hi there, 

I just bought online the 0605-SA GTB 18oz 

Are they a new model? I got the 701 vintage one and the 705GTB in Japan 2014 and now they both fit too tight size 31 so I bought these new ones size 33 and was wondering if the fit is very different from the old models.

thank you 

0605 is of their western cut (higher rise, slimmer leg), introduced 2-3 years ago, so probably differ from the ones you had before

9 hours ago, Duodequinquagesimus said:

Slimmer leg? I saw pics and they looked like the 0705 ones but with more room in the thighs. 

thigh/leg ratio slimmer, or can say more tapered (I choose fit and size not from waist, but from thighs, so me perception of fit bases on it)

Edited by dau

Got the 0605 SA GTB 18oz natural tapered. They are very comfortable and enough room in the upper part. I hope they don’t stretch much but if they do I would just bulk up my legs.

Should I soak, wash, no wash until when? 
My little experience with this was never wash them for 6 months and that’s what I used to do but that was years ago.

How do people get the mobile fade in the back pocket? Just curious. I know this will not fade easily ...

Thanks

Edited by Duodequinquagesimus